Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I re-ordered him using the $20 C3L3BR4T3 coupon... was hoping to use it on the Ex Scout Trooper, but he's already on waitlist :monkey2

Tried using the New Years one on the Stormtrooper's last night... the code didn't work, then it looked like the order went through only to find out I was charged full price :gah:

There are still people that will say HT and Sideshow are ruthless competitors even after both companies announcing they're splitting releases, both companies announcing re-commitment to Sideshow's distributing HT to almost the entire world, both companies announcing that HT is now Sideshow's official distributor for Asia, Sideshow prominently featuring and demonstrating for Hot Toys at North American shows/cons, HT featuring and demonstrating Sideshow products at Asian shows/cons, HT featuring/showcasing Sideshow product at their store(s).

Have I left anything out?

The rest is nothing new - but where did they announce the "splitting" or releases? And how are they dividing them?

I would take a closer look at how it is the SSC/Tama 3PO and the SSC 3PO occurred so close together. That is an odd one without any real explanation. I will need to find it, but I seem to recall SSC at one point calling the Tama 3PO "their" 3PO... and then boom - 12-18 months later, look what's announced. So I'm a little leery of that "we will see later" phrasing. Honestly, these days, what constitutes "later"?

I'm not taking later to mean 5 years, just "not at the same time" - they're both distributing and selling the entire pool, so it would suck to have two of something on the shelf.

WRT to the splitting of releases, I can't help you locate the info. It's been posted by others to threads based on questions asked directly to HT and Sideshow. I read it but didn't bookmark it. ;)

I'm not taking later to mean 5 years, just "not at the same time" - they're both distributing and selling the entire pool, so it would suck to have two of something on the shelf.

WRT to the splitting of releases, I can't help you locate the info. It's been posted by others to threads based on questions asked directly to HT and Sideshow. I read it but didn't bookmark it. ;)

I will look for it - that's THE question everyone is wanting answered: How are HT and SSC splitting the releases exactly and will there be any crossover?

Everyone is posting in every thread "don't want to order this SSC fig in case HT does it in a year" so this info is critical, and if they've actually stated something about how releases are to be split then it needs to be found.

I will look for it - that's THE question everyone is wanting answered: How are HT and SSC splitting the releases exactly and will there be any crossover?

You won't find an answer to the first part. If you mean "duplication" instead of cross-over however, that was either answered or implied very directly as "no." If you mean "complimentary" then that's kind of yes based on what's been announced, even if the figures don't necessarily go hand-in-hand for specific scenes. Right now we're seeing a lot of ANH stuff, including everything HT has announced and some of what SSC has announced.

You won't find an answer to the first part. If you mean "duplication" instead of cross-over however, that was either answered or implied very directly as "no." If you mean "complimentary" then that's kind of yes based on what's been announced, even if the figures don't necessarily go hand-in-hand for specific scenes. Right now we're seeing a lot of ANH stuff, including everything HT has announced and some of what SSC has announced.

The question is what constitutes "duplication" - eg. Sideshow releases a Vader a year ago, and HT has announced a Vader which will be out later this year (the ANH vs ESB/ROTJ thing isn't that significant.) I guess technically you can say the two Vaders are actually releasing nearly two years apart (this is what's been discussed before - overlap of a figure in release and previews of a new version of the same figure) but it comes down to what constitutes a fair gap between releases. Many seem angry that HT did a Vader with SSC's still in release and so I guess that gap is too tight.

The question I have is where was the confirmation you are using as the basis for this:

"If you mean "duplication" instead of cross-over however, that was either answered or implied very directly as "no." "

If this was made clear and answered "very directly" then why is there still so much confusion and concern in every thread?

It was implied. I don't think either will come out and give the exact details of their agreement. In regards to Tamashii, I'm pretty sure it was considered a different market (the super high-end one that turns out didn't exist, hence the $400 MSRP tanking on release) than the usual 1:6 figure. That said, not sure why you want contractual proof or whatnot. Doesn't it just make sense that two companies that distribute for one another are not going to have simultaneous releases of the same character (even assuming Disney/LFL was stupid enough to approve)? And I disagree about your Vader example, also. To most SW fans, there is a big difference between ANH and ESB/ROTJ. I don't think they are viewed interchangably, at all.

They are not splitting formally. In the recent q&a session Howard was asked about 3po and he did say that it's not in the cards yet because SSC did a good job on them. I interpret the relationship as mutually beneficial for both parties.

Possible SS needed the proto back. :dunno

Yeah, I get there are a million and one reasons they mightn't have the SS photo, but thought it odd they would promote the Tamashii which seems to be the only main competition to SS's version now that Medi have left the fold. :dunno

Yeah, I get there are a million and one reasons they mightn't have the SS photo, but thought it odd they would promote the Tamashii which seems to be the only main competition to SS's version now that Medi have left the fold. :dunno
It's not really promoting at this point. They have lots of sold out stuff on the shelves. Like Evil says, it was probably available there at one point for preorder and they've kept it on display. It is a cool piece of 3PO toy history, so makes sense to me they'd keep it out.

The Tamashii 3PO has both the Sideshow and Tamashii logos on the box - meaning it was not just sold by Sideshow, but a co-produced Sideshow product.

The Sideshow website lists the manufacturer as "Sideshow Collectibles and Tamashii Nations" (in that order.)

Yeah, i guess you are right. For some reason, I have it in my head that SS (and vicariously HT) would like to hide every single Tamashii as it's the main 3PO standard they are going to be judged by when SS releases theirs. :lol

Back