Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last few chewbacca offerings from hasbro have been good with sculpted fur. I think Hot Toys would make a chewbacca amazing. Especially after seeing the new thor and other sculpted hair figures like Jack Sparrow.
ymusybyv.jpg

Yep - sculpted 1/6 Chewie FTW.

Experimenting with hair would be just that - an experiment, & translating that to consistency on a mass market scale on top of that - a QC nightmare waiting to happen.

If they're SMART, they'll avoid the fur.

Fur is a mistake; I have not one seen one fur custom that looks anything close to the movie version. Sorry, but none of them look too good. I don't know if HT could pull chewie off; SSC certaintly can't

I don't think a sculpted Chewie can be done any better than what we've already seen from Hasbro. When did this become a Chewie thread?

The more time passes and I see what people can do with customs I'm more convinced we will never see a production furred 1/6 Chewbacca. With all the work it takes to get a custom one to look right I just can't see a company doing it.

I figured HT might actually do it at some point since they've not shied away from adding hair to figures... but with one SW release since they've been able to make the figures it seems that hope is also gone.

My guess is Sideshow will eventually offer some kind of 1/6 statue of Chewbacca, maybe with swappable arms and/or a head and call it a day.

I don't expect a Chewbacca to be released at all, but my preference has always been fur. If it can be done very well, go for it. If it can't, skip it. That may be the attitude at Sideshow too, who knows? Maybe someone should ask them at SDCC. A Dewback or Tauntaun statue is one thing, but it would seem strange to release a statue version of a main character within a line of otherwise hyper-articulated 1/6 figures.

It would be strange... but also kind of strange they'd release a fully sculpted (except for the bag) PF of Chewbacca when the other PFs have clothing.

But I'd probably lean more towards them not releasing anything and just giving the a "we're working on it" kind of response.

I think if HT did a soft sculpted Chewy, they'd probably cheap out on the rubber and the whole thing would rot, like the new ED (and no matter how well sculpted, it's going to have an unnatural, fake look about it that high-end collectors are not going to embrace). Personally, I can't see Chewy getting released in either sculpted or furred format. Too many drawbacks to both and it just seems like a QC nightmare.

It seems only right that this thread should be derailed for a Chewbacca discussion, seeing as the Tashii thread was derailed to become a Snyderman Princess Leia discussion. :lecture

Hairspray and styling gels.

I was in a heated debated in another thread where people were unhappy with the application of battle damage paint, a very subjective thing. The BD varied and no two statues were alike.

Rooted hair is much the same problem. No two units will be the same and there will be lots of complaints about QC. Also the gel and hair spray idea is going to be something that requires skill and may be beyond some buyers, again leading to complaints about quality.

Not to keep this thread off topic but it took me months to make the Chewbacca figure in my collection, I'm not sure how that could/would translate to mass produced products. I can see a sculpted Chewie through use of soft plastics to conceal joints, etc.... Either way, I'm in.

Back to 3po. Even though I own and LOVE the Tamashhi (sp) I might consider this SS version too as it would give me the opportunity to have a weathered version.

Just got back from a vacation in SF and I saw the announcement then--just haven't gotten a chance to respond til now.

Awesome news! I knew they would show him at SDCC! Even though I have the Tamashii and am very happy with it, I'm still eager to see how Sideshow's comes out. Someone mentioned that it may be just a shrunk down version of the PF. If that's the case then I will definitely be disappointed. I think there's something wonky going on with the proportions on the PF, especially around the shoulders and the general silhouette.

I'm almost 100% I won't get it (never say never!) since I have the Tamashii, but I'm hoping for some good accessories that I can pick up later.

Just give me a furry 3PO and I'm good.

I'll give you a furry 3PO :naughty

Not to keep this thread off topic but it took me months to make the Chewbacca figure in my collection, I'm not sure how that could/would translate to mass produced products. I can see a sculpted Chewie through use of soft plastics to conceal joints, etc.... Either way, I'm in.

Back to 3po. Even though I own and LOVE the Tamashhi (sp) I might consider this SS version too as it would give me the opportunity to have a weathered version.

Yeah, I'm mostly excited about weathered beat up on :lecture

At this point, it's the accessories that will make or break this figure for me.

I have a feeling Sideshow's going to deliver... they didn't scrimp on R2 and I figured at most we'd just get a few extra tools. But they included a ton of stuff and Kenobi's table. Now I'll probably never use the table, but still cool I'm getting one and still $40 less than Medicom charged for an undersized (and maybe just more undersized than Sideshow) version 5 or so years ago :lol

Back