Show Us Your Troops (Sideshow/Marmit/Medicom/etc.)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to know. I don't have access to my TK/TD hi-res screenshots right now to check it out. Can you post pics?

The first photo Pixelpiper posted is the one I'm referring to, but I'm sure I saw a higher resolution and/or colour shot that showed a lack of T-tracks. Either that or in the film itself. I'm off to work so I can't dig for it now...I suspect it may be found in the MEPD online references or in the film itself. I'm almost 100% certain that's the DLT without the tracks.

Those first images aren't in the movie, I just checked.

This is about as good as you'll get from the film:

troopers.jpg

We have to recall the t-tracks on the MG-34 were not even glued like on E-11 blasters or lightsabers, they were crudely wrapped with wire, so it is not unusual to have them fall. Many of the Hengstler counters on the Stormtrooper blasters fell off too. Star Wars is awesome!!:D

The helmet in that comp looks underscaled, not that the visibility would be all that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I am the only one who is totally creeped out that many weapons used as Star Wars prop weapons were German army guns (that one above is an MG 34, Dengar's onscreen gun is an MG 42) that were actually used by Nazi troops during WWII. So it is more than possible the actual weapons those sandtroopers are carrying were used against civilians in the war, likewise Han and Luke's blasters - based on German Mausers (though they were more common in WWI) though some were casts for stunts. The same can be said for many of the German uniforms in Berlin scenes of Last Crusade.

The trooper with orange pauldron to the left and back is holding his MG-34 upside down. :slap No wonder the Empire lost. :lol

The MG34 is a HEAVY gun, you carry as well as you can considering you wear an uncomfortable plastic armor and helmet in Tunisian heat, under director's pressure.

Yeah, that comp is hilarious!

Any of you guys ever wear one of those suits?
I've read that they are very uncomfortable...

Besides the head too big/helmet too small, they also forgot the leaf foam, your head shouldn't touch the top of the helmet. The bad visibility issue is most likely because of the bubble lenses present on Hero helmets.

I believe I am the only one who is totally creeped out that many weapons used as Star Wars prop weapons were German army guns (that one above is an MG 34, Dengar's onscreen gun is an MG 42) that were actually used by Nazi troops during WWII. So it is more than possible the actual weapons those sandtroopers are carrying were used against civilians in the war, likewise Han and Luke's blasters - based on German Mausers (though they were more common in WWI) though some were casts for stunts. The same can be said for many of the German uniforms in Berlin scenes of Last Crusade.

In ANH most of the Imperial guns came from real world guns: the classic Stormtrooper blaster is a British Sterling Mk4 L2A3 SMG, the big DLT-19 rifle is in fact a WW2 German MG-34 (with t-tracks, a disk and a box added to it), the Sandtrooper's dual ammo magazine rifle called RT-97C is the German anti-aircraft MG-15 (but without inner barrel), the Sandtrooper's big gun Blastech T-21 is a Lewis Mark I machine gun (without the round ammo magazine).

And other various real guns were used by Han, Luke, Leia, Fett and some of the bounty hunters. To most of these guns the talented guys at ILM added various parts and greeblies (scopes, t-tracks, etc.). Some of the big guns like MG15 and MG34 seems had the inner barrels removed both because of the law in Tunisia and for making the lighter

The MG34 is a HEAVY gun, you carry as well as you can considering you wear an uncomfortable plastic armor and helmet in Tunisian heat, under director's pressure.

Besides the head too big/helmet too small, they also forgot the leaf foam, your head shouldn't touch the top of the helmet. The bad visibility issue is most likely because of the bubble lenses present on Hero helmets.

In ANH most of the Imperial guns came from real world guns: the classic Stormtrooper blaster is a British Sterling Mk4 L2A3 SMG, the big DLT-19 rifle is in fact a WW2 German MG-34 (with t-tracks, a disk and a box added to it), the Sandtrooper's dual ammo magazine rifle called RT-97C is the German anti-aircraft MG-15 (but without inner barrel), the Sandtrooper's big gun Blastech T-21 is a Lewis Mark I machine gun (without the round ammo magazine).

And other various real guns were used by Han, Luke, Leia, Fett and some of the bounty hunters. To most of these guns the talented guys at ILM added various parts and greeblies (scopes, t-tracks, etc.). Some of the big guns like MG15 and MG34 seems had the inner barrels removed both because of the law in Tunisia and for making the lighter

It sounds a little strange these days - laws in Tunisia removing inner barrels of machine guns.:dunno

I think the point I was trying to make is that it is possible the Nazi guns used in the making of the Star Wars films were used in the committing of atrocities. I understand that the Imperials and Nazis are thematically linked and SW is essentially WWII in space, but the idea of guns that were actually used by Nazi (and "Imperial" Japanese, who used MG's) soldiers ending up in the hands of SW film characters is a little weird.

The Indy films are equally guilty (MG 34 in truck chase, MP 40 used extensively etc.) The book burning scene is particularly troubling given the massive use of real German uniforms mixed with a comedic tone. I guess you just have to overlook this kind of stuff but if I was making these movies, I would have asked to use prop replicas, not ex-WWII weapons, especially given the SW guns had parts added.

It sounds a little strange these days - laws in Tunisia removing inner barrels of machine guns.:dunno

I think the point I was trying to make is that it is possible the Nazi guns used in the making of the Star Wars films were used in the committing of atrocities. I understand that the Imperials and Nazis are thematically linked and SW is essentially WWII in space, but the idea of guns that were actually used by Nazi (and "Imperial" Japanese, who used MG's) soldiers ending up in the hands of SW film characters is a little weird.

The Indy films are equally guilty (MG 34 in truck chase, MP 40 used extensively etc.) The book burning scene is particularly troubling given the massive use of real German uniforms mixed with a comedic tone. I guess you just have to overlook this kind of stuff but if I was making these movies, I would have asked to use prop replicas, not ex-WWII weapons, especially given the SW guns had parts added.

The same laws in Tunisia forced ILM to use heavily modified Sterlings called Baptys, with aluminum back part and no trigger.

bapty.jpg

bapty sterling compare.jpg

The MG-34 has an inner barrel that had to be removed after sustained firing and be replaced with a new one till the other cools down.

As for the MG-15 without the inner barrel look here:

sand-mg15.jpg

The Lewis Mark I machine gun was not German

Lewis_Gun.jpg

The Imperial uniforms in SW were inspired by the WW1 Ulanka/Uhlanka uniforms:

Ulanka - SW Imperial uniform idea 2.jpg Ulanka - SW Imperial uniform idea 1.jpg

MG 15 was pretty much always an aircraft gun so I have less problem with that one. But MG 34 and MG 42 (Dengar onscreen gun) have bad reputation.

And I wonder if Tunisia still has that law.

The WWII connection does make things easier though - IG 88's gun and Hoth Rebel rifle are same German MP 44 so easier to build them in 1/6 as opposed to hunting rare SSC SW rifles.

MG 15 was pretty much always an aircraft gun so I have less problem with that one. But MG 34 and MG 42 (Dengar onscreen gun) have bad reputation.

And I wonder if Tunisia still has that law.

The WWII connection does make things easier though - IG 88's gun and Hoth Rebel rifle are same German MP 44 so easier to build them in 1/6 as opposed to hunting rare SSC SW rifles.

All guns have bad reputation. They are guns who kill people after all. I'm still thinking what is the true story behind my Sterling E-11, was it ever used. I could also say that being a prop may have saved it from being melted as scrap metal. I guess I will never know if my gun killed/injured someone, and to be honest I really don't want to know. Thus I think that I gave this Sterling a better life in my hands (as a very prized Star Wars prop) than it was really meant for (killing people).

I've just got 2 medicom royal guards to go with my vader and stormtroopers a bit on small scale but I think it looks ok
It took me ages to find them there pretty rare image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back