Shoot 'Em Up

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the preview at SDCC during the New Line panel with Clive Owen and director Michael Davis. It was pretty funny. It looks like a good fun mindless shoot-em-up! I probably won't drop the money to see it at the theatre (ie. I'm cheap) but I'll definitely rent it when it comes out.

It looks totally over the top and a lot of fun.

I like Clive. Does he have it in his contract that he has to deliver a baby in all his movies now? :lol

I got admission for two to a special screening tonight to see it for free! I constantly get free movie tickets! I love it!

I'll tell you all about it when I get back from seeing it tonight!

i saw a poster for this movie a couple weeks ago when i was seeing another movie, and im pleased to see that they are ramping up advertisement for it (even though it starts tomorrow??) because it looks like a pretty fun movie.

Yeah, I plan on seeing this sometime next week. It looks like an awesome gunslinging movie. The action is gonna be good. And as it says on the official site, "This is a wet dream for action junkies." :lol :rock

Shoot 'Em Up -

***1/2 out of 5 stars.

Author: Eli26

This review will be short and simple just like the movie. Maybe...

Shoot 'Em Up is a high octane thrill ride that consistently keeps the adrenaline rush pumping from one scene to the next. The action will leave you in awe with everything that is going on, often leaving you in utter disbelief that Smith, played by the talented Clive Owen, seems to be oblivious to the laws of physics. Jumping off of bridge and landing 30 feet into a sunroof of a car unscathed. Better yet, taking part in a head-on collision that sees his body being thrown out of the front windshield of a sports car through the windshield of a van, where again, he lands unscathed in the rear inside of the vehicle shooting up a bunch of bad guys.

When it comes to the laws of physics in this film, ignorance is bliss. Which is humorous in itself because Smith seems to be quite keen and assertive when it comes to the smaller details around him. Mostly with things that annoy the masses like those bad drivers swirving in and out of traffic wrecklessly, thinking they were participating in the Daytona 500, doing this without even making the proper left or right turn signals. Or how people have to make annoying slurping sounds when drinking through a straw.

This film exudes a lot of exuberance, dead bodies, mainly because the protagonist is not very forgiving, if at all, to the bad guys, which makes him the idea anti-hero. Usually it's the villians who are the cruelest of creatures in action genre movies, but Owen's character is about as cruel as they come. Sometimes you're MORE fearful for the bad guys.

One thing I have to give this picture credit for is its uncanniness to be creative and borderline silly with how it kills off certain characters.

Suffice to say, I left out the great job displayed by Paul Giamatti. But I can go on and I did say this would be a short and simple review. Kind of...

Disclaimer warning for the more serious viewer: You should go into seeing this movie as its been packaged, a crazy action/comedy thrill ride. If you can get pass all the unbelievable, "yeah right, that's bull****" parts, I think you'll leave the film with a smile stretched out from one cheek to the other. After all, this film doesn't take itself seriously, so why should you?

Last edited:
unscathed not unscaved

But anyway, really makes me want to see it. I like over-the-top action (although Ultraviolet was a nightmare) and while it sounds like it has it's low points, 3.5 our of 5 is darn good.

It looks to be cool, I like Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti and Monica Belucci is hot as
s#!t.

But does anyone think it looks a little too similar to Smoking Aces?

unscathed not unscaved

But anyway, really makes me want to see it. I like over-the-top action (although Ultraviolet was a nightmare) and while it sounds like it has it's low points, 3.5 our of 5 is darn good.

Thanks, my first time spelling unscathed... so I went based on how I pronounced the word. Stupid spell check wouldn't pick it up either. Grrr.. interestingly enough that is one of the few smaller words I couldn't spell because how I pronounced it.

Made the correction and now I won't screw that up anymore!

I docked the movie off a star and a half because of the "oh that's too convenient even for a non serious movie" and "yeah right, as if that would happen."

There is a combat sequence in the air that lost the film a star just because of how over-the-top silly it was.

Again, if it weren't for the creative ways the film maker and crew had Smith take out some of the bad guys, the amount of carnage and destruction it has for an action film, and the surprinsingly hilarious scenes, this movie would be more of a dud.

And yes, it's definitely better than Smoking Aces.

Last edited:
Wow, it's hard now to tell some people apart with all of the Optimus Prime avatars.

Yeah, spellcheck sometimes doesn't work, but with Firefox it's built in so everything you type will be checked, although it does miss some stuff. It's really handy though because now my spelling is corrected when I'm writing on the internet so I get lots of practice.

I think there's a new movie theater opening up in town so maybe I can go see it this weekend.

Go for it. I think you'll be in for a nice treat.

I love what this critic posted...

This wet dream for action junkies leaves out logic and motivation -- you know, all the boring stuff. - Peter Travers

Shoot 'Em Up -

***1/2 out of 5 stars.

Author: Eli26

This review will be short and simple just like the movie. Maybe...

Shoot 'Em Up is a high octane thrill ride that consistently keeps the adrenaline rush pumping from one scene to the next. The action will leave you in awe with everything that is going on, often leaving you in utter disbelief that Smith, played by the talented Clive Owen, seems to be oblivious to the laws of physics. Jumping off of bridge and landing 30 feet into a sunroof of a car unscathed. Better yet, taking part in a head-on collision that sees his body being thrown out of the front windshield of a sports car through the windshield of a van, where again, he lands unscathed in the rear inside of the vehicle shooting up a bunch of bad guys.

When it comes to the laws of physics in this film, ignorance is bliss. Which is humorous in itself because Smith seems to be quite keen and assertive when it comes to the smaller details around him. Mostly with things that annoy the masses like those bad drivers swirving in and out of traffic wrecklessly, thinking they were participating in the Daytona 500, doing this without even making the proper left or right turn signals. Or how people have to make annoying slurping sounds when drinking through a straw.

This film exudes a lot of exuberance, dead bodies, mainly because the protagonist is not very forgiving, if at all, to the bad guys, which makes him the idea anti-hero. Usually it's the villians who are the cruelest of creatures in action genre movies, but Owen's character is about as cruel as they come. Sometimes you're MORE fearful for the bad guys.

One thing I have to give this picture credit for is its uncanniness to be creative and borderline silly with how it kills off certain characters.

Suffice to say, I left out the great job displayed by Paul Giamatti. But I can go on and I did say this would be a short and simple review. Kind of...

Disclaimer warning for the more serious viewer: You should go into seeing this movie as its been packaged, a crazy action/comedy thrill ride. If you can get pass all the unbelievable, "yeah right, that's bull****" parts, I think you'll leave the film with a smile stretched out from one cheek to the other. After all, this film doesn't take itself seriously, so why should you?

In all of that, all of it, you didn't mention Monica Belucci? What the **** is wrong with you???? She's like, the hottest chick on earth. :drool

:thwak :thwak :thwak

Nah, Smoking Aces sucked.

WHAT!!!??? i love smoking aces. on that note i also remember my friend telling me about his experience when he watched ultraviolet in the movie theater.... he told me that he vomited his popcorn back into the bucket and asked for a refund for the ticket and the popcorn.

Back