Seeking advice - repair or exchange?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 55472

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm new here and I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on something. Last week, I received my SSC Batman Modern Age PF but I was a little saddened to see that he had sustained a little damage to one of his gauntlets. I contacted SSC and they offered me either a $45 discount provided I repair it myself or, if I prefer, an exchange. I'm not the most adept at performing delicate repairs, plus the amount of non-painted "glue-able" area is pretty tiny. On the other hand, I don't really want someone else's returned/repaired item - even if its been repaired, it has still lost considerable value, yes? What are the chances that they would send a new piece? Anyone here performed a glue repair on an unpainted area this small?

Just wondering what someone more experienced in these matters would do?

Attachments

• 2015-11-24 21.01.12.jpg
    2015-11-24 21.01.12.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 2015-11-24 21.01.30.jpg
    2015-11-24 21.01.30.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 70
  • 2015-11-24 21.03.02.jpg
    2015-11-24 21.03.02.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 72
stick the piece in without gluing, see if any damage can be noticed from outside, you can use blutac as try fitting, if nothing is noticeable, apply small dip of superglue in the hole, carefully stick the piece into the hole and let it dry. i'm guessing that is how they glued the piece into it the 1st place.

If they are offering you an exchange for a whole new body, then just take it. I don't know why people always say they will get somebody's return or a repaired piece. They will send you a 100% new piece that came from China. Most of the time, they tell the collectors to destroy the whole statue, so there's no chance of somebody else receiving a damaged piece. That looks like a clean break that you can use epoxy for a strong hold, but why fuss with it if they are willing to give you a replacement body. The only issue is that they would need to package the new body so carefully that during transit nothing will break.

stick the piece in without gluing, see if any damage can be noticed from outside, you can use blutac as try fitting, if nothing is noticeable, apply small dip of superglue in the hole, carefully stick the piece into the hole and let it dry. i'm guessing that is how they glued the piece into it the 1st place.

Thanks for the info. The only thing that worries me is the extremely small unpainted area to work with. Even superglue won't work well on paint and I don't feel confident/skilled enough to try and remove some.

If they are offering you an exchange for a whole new body, then just take it. I don't know why people always say they will get somebody's return or a repaired piece. They will send you a 100% new piece that came from China. Most of the time, they tell the collectors to destroy the whole statue, so there's no chance of somebody else receiving a damaged piece. That looks like a clean break that you can use epoxy for a strong hold, but why fuss with it if they are willing to give you a replacement body. The only issue is that they would need to package the new body so carefully that during transit nothing will break.

They did offer me a new body but they indicated that I would need to return the old one. I have seen a few instances in the forums where people were told to just destroy the old pieces and I didn't see why they would want me to return mine unless they planned to repair and reuse it, hence my suspicion. If I knew for certain that I'd be getting a brand new part, that would be the way to go.

If you're planning on repairing it, do you think you will do a good job of it? Get the exchange, I know I would if it was offered. Nothing to lose. Most of the time they would offer the credit and not a replacement.

As for destroying the body or not, I guess you live in USA? If you were an international customer they most likely would tell you to destroy the old body before getting the new one.

As for destroying the body or not, I guess you live in USA? If you were an international customer they most likely would tell you to destroy the old body before getting the new one.

Actually, I live in Canada.

I'm guessing its reasonable for them to pay for postage back from Canada, not so feasible from where I am.
Whatever you decide, hope it works out for you. Its a great statue. I have the first version and that came with issues too.

Well, they sent me a replacement body afterwards, arrived today. *sigh*
c5600542b46f619b3250e7058bee01fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, they sent me a replacement body afterwards, arrived today. *sigh*
c5600542b46f619b3250e7058bee01fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

send it back and request them to send you another piece and tell them to make sure everything is ok before sending. you don't want to spoil it by fixing on your own since you have no confident on fixing it yourself.

Back