SDCC Dinosauria: Dienosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus - Link in 1st Post

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the piece once they have it in-hand; I was losing daylight when I took the shots, but it is plenty colorful and varied. The one area where it isn't quite up to the proto paint work would be the crest you mentioned, but it still has some nice tones to it.

I thought the blood didn't look as good as it could. Is that a trick of the lighting as well?

No pics of the skull (Sideshow sent me the regular :duh), but I LOVE this one ...

236zbk.jpg

Looks good so far...is this all one piece or does it come aprt from the base? And is SS sending you the skull seporate with the correct box?

Chris

It's actually all one piece, and pretty heavy. :cool:

I need to contact CS tomorrow.

I just opened my dio and it blew me away, I love it. But like always I find something that I have to critic. The Parasaurolophus is not as detailed as I thought and the Dienosuchus they could of have added more shades to the belly and also the teeth, especially the teeth, it seems like they blend in with its head, you will see what I mean. I am having a problem with the teeth I think they could of have done a way better job than this - the only reason I'm saying that is because the focal point is the mouth, head -which ever.
Over all the dio is awsome and they did an excellent job with the base, I was surprised it's bigger than I imagined.

I just opened my dio and it blew me away, I love it. But like always I find something that I have to critic. The Parasaurolophus is not as detailed as I thought and the Dienosuchus they could of have added more shades to the belly and also the teeth, especially the teeth, it seems like they blend in with its head, you will see what I mean. I am having a problem with the teeth I think they could of have done a way better job than this - the only reason I'm saying that is because the focal point is the mouth, head -which ever.
Over all the dio is awsome and they did an excellent job with the base, I was surprised it's bigger than I imagined.

Do you have any pictures?....maybe closer shots of the teeth.

Chris

Here's another comparison pic showing in hand/production against SDCC/proto (with some color correction of the SDCC shot). I think the Parasaur came out ok. Only obvious disappointment is the excessive and overly regular mottling to the Deino. I guess that will vary according to the skill/boredom/patience of the painter at the time.

dscf6944.jpg

FWIW, I actually think that the water effect looks better on the production piece than what was at Con. :banana

I wouldn't agree with the comments about the teeth or belly either; the texture on the scale of the belly is really nicely done and the teeth on mine have nice contrast.

Of course. Hadrosaurs are victimized in paleoart more often than anyone... except maybe Tenontosaurus.

Oh, definitely. Parasaurolophus was one of my personal favorites as a child, so I hated seeing them being the victims of carnivores.

Of course. Hadrosaurs are victimized in paleoart more often than anyone... except maybe Tenontosaurus.

Aint that the truth.:( We need a gorgeous Hadrosaur maquette.:naughty

Oh, definitely. Parasaurolophus was one of my personal favorites as a child, so I hated seeing them being the victims of carnivores.

They are my favorites too.:cool:

As much as I hate seeing the poor thing in such peril, i understand that this is how things work.:(

I think I'd hold off for a hadrosaur maquette (God-willing) before even waitlisting this piece. For some reason this piece just doesn't grab me. Hadrosaurs are some of my favorite dinos, but yeah, I just am not getting into this piece at all.

Mine comes tomorrow, I may not be able to get it until Friday or Saturday though. :(

The other thing wich is weird is the skull, SS was pretty much consistent with the size of the skull but for the Dienosuchus is way off, what happened, it does not make any sense period. It looks to me like SS is starting to drop the ball on this line. For their own good they better not, this line already suffers from popularity.

I don't have it yet, so maybe I shouldn't say anything until I see it, but I think saying Sideshow is starting to drop the ball is pretty drastic. Don't be such a pessimist. Every other piece this far has been perfection itself, if one or two pieces come out slightly less than perfect that's not a huge deal. I'm sure we'll get some that turn out bad (like the JP dio) but as long as the vast majority turn out damn near perfect and really good I think we can count ourselves very lucky.

Awesome pics !

A hadrosaur maquette is a must..at least one species anyway..and we didn't get a Para skull this time either so it's possible. I think a full Para maquette would make a great companion piece to this one actually.

As far as slight production differences go I can understand..what I keep reminding others of is that a model kit of the same quality would cost you 150.00 at the least, then you would have to clean it up, paint it , seal it or have someone do it for you..another 200.00 dollers or so. For the price this is exceptional work.. ;)

I guess when a certain someone gets his Para model finished by Foulkes himself, we'll be able to decide if our money is well spent on SS statues. :lol

Back