Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes sense. I'm not brushed up on the History of Middle-Earth. I do know Gandalf was pretty powerful in his own right.

So does that mean a Balrog is more powerful than Sauron?

I don't think so, but a Balrog is probably pretty close. Sauron is still more powerful than pretty much everyone, at least those still around Middle Earth at the time of the LOTR. Balrog's are corrupted forms of the same race as Gandalf and Sauron. Maiar.

Shelob's (the big spider) mother, Ungoliant, was more powerful than Sauron for sure, and Shelob would probably be close as well, which is why Sauron never messes with her.

I don't think so, but a Balrog is probably pretty close. Sauron is still more powerful than pretty much everyone, at least those still around Middle Earth at the time of the LOTR. Balrog's are corrupted forms of the same race as Gandalf and Sauron. Maiar.

Shelob's (the big spider) mother, Ungoliant, was more powerful than Sauron for sure, and Shelob would probably be close as well, which is why Sauron never messes with her.
Ungoliant was about to eat Morgoth and took an army of balrogs to rescue him. Balrogs are usually not solo. Fear, strength and numbers made them unbeatable. I wonder how tough Gothmog lord of the balrogs was. Dragons were so tough and fearless,that many a time went solo. Ring wraiths also I really think about, their main strength was fear and could be defeated if one had none against them. The last alliance lost their fear against them thus they fled.

It's been awhile since I've read the books and some of the History stuff, so forgive me. So Ungoliant, Gandalf and Sauron were all beings that came to middle-earth and took on the forms of a old man, Spider, etc.?

Thing is while Gandalf had a ring of power he couldn't have used it if Sauron was wearing The One Ring. That Ring had power over all other Rings in Middle-earth. So I'm not sure Gandalf was quite as powerful as Sauron. As far as Balrogs being more powerful I don't believe hey were. They were lesser servants of Morgoth than Sauron was.

True. Tho I don't think Gandalf was able to be influenced by the One ring the way the other races were. I don't quite remember the timeline of when Gandalf was given his ring, but I think Sauron had the One Ring during that time. You are right that Gandalf couldn't use it, but I don mt think Sauron would have had dominion over Gandalf the way he did over all others he gave a ring of power to.

As for the Balrog's, they were close to Sauron, but Sauron was Morgoth's top dog so to speak. Gandalf and a Balrog would, as we saw, be pretty evenly matched, so like Gandalf, are probably close to, but not quite as powerful as Sauron.

I only meant to say originally that despite his depiction in the movie as being a bit weaker than some, like Sarumon, and struggling against the Balrog and Witch King, Gandalf in his own hayday was more powerful than we really see in LOTR since his purpose is to guide and help rather than directly interact as much.

It's been awhile since I've read the books and some of the History stuff, so forgive me. So Ungoliant, Gandalf and Sauron were all beings that came to middle-earth and took on the forms of a old man, Spider, etc.?

Pretty much. The gods, as they are in Tolkien land, are Valar, and then the beings next down from them are Maiar, which are kind of like the equivalent of angels to western culture, and Maiar have no inherent form. They are really spirits. So they have tons of different forms and take on different forms based on their personalities and purpose.

Pretty much. The gods, as they are in Tolkien land, are Valar, and then the beings next down from them are Maiar, which are kind of like the equivalent of angels to western culture, and Maiar have no inherent form. They are really spirits. So they have tons of different forms and take on different forms based on their personalities and purpose.

I always like to think of them being old men like the 5 wizards, to me that is their true form, but for some that went to evil they chose(or perhaps chosen by Morgoth) their form, Sauron was allowed to choose whatever he wanted until the tsunami that almost killed him made him hideous and prevented him from shape shifting again. Even Sauron to me if seen in true form would be an old evil man like the winter warlock when he was bad in Santa Claus is coming to town. LOL

True. Tho I don't think Gandalf was able to be influenced by the One ring the way the other races were. I don't quite remember the timeline of when Gandalf was given his ring, but I think Sauron had the One Ring during that time. You are right that Gandalf couldn't use it, but I don mt think Sauron would have had dominion over Gandalf the way he did over all others he gave a ring of power to.

As for the Balrog's, they were close to Sauron, but Sauron was Morgoth's top dog so to speak. Gandalf and a Balrog would, as we saw, be pretty evenly matched, so like Gandalf, are probably close to, but not quite as powerful as Sauron.

I only meant to say originally that despite his depiction in the movie as being a bit weaker than some, like Sarumon, and struggling against the Balrog and Witch King, Gandalf in his own hayday was more powerful than we really see in LOTR since his purpose is to guide and help rather than directly interact as much.

Right it wouldn't have been instant but over time I do think he would have and that goes with why Gandalf wanted no part of carrying The One Ring. So I agree with ya that it wouldn't be instant.

I agree Balrogs and Sauron were probably close just that if you ranked them they'd fall just under him. Also, I agree Gandalf was one of the most powerful beings in all of Middle-earth. Another that was one of the strongest was Galadriel. She could hold her own again most of them.

Ungoliant was more than twice as long and fat as daughter Shelob, imagine how mighty she was

Gandalf was given the Red Ring of Fire when he entered Middle earth after Sauron's defeat. Cirdan knew who had the best chance to combat Sauron and that there was something special about Olorin/ Mithrandir/ Gandalf....Gandalf hid the ring from Saruman too which is another reason why he didn't wear it. Cirdan told Gandalf that the ring would give him a strength needed. Cirdan the shipwright must have been very mighty too if originally given an elven ring of power . He must have been the head vassal/ bridge between the land of the valar in the west and Middle earth. A mighty role to play

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Fremen.:wave And what a fantastic peek at a great LOTR collection. WOW! As a fellow canadian, you do us proud. Ride on! :clap:clap:clap

No one has any info on this display case? I have seen it before but don't know where to get one.

Went and picked mine up this morning from fedex, cant see anything wrong with him, this PF is awesome! No. 365

tuqehu7e.jpg

Would love some more info on that display case.

Hi all I have my sauron on order can some put theres next to a standard pf
Characters for a comparison
Thanks

Does anyone bother to look at the last few pages?

:dunno

A Sauron PF thread, I read through the past 392 pages.

:panic:

Waiting on mine. This would be the first/most expensive statue I have bought since starting mid this year. The comments of plastic concern me, I mean I thought part of the reasoning for the price was materials used. I understand the pros to plastic due to breakage, etc., but I dunno. Also "some" of the overpray I am seeing...looks more like he would be made of copper. :(

Back