S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: can anybody tell me whether it's easy (for a noob) to give the original ssj goku hair a polish so it has a sheen? I wanna use it with PCE Vegeta and rather than repainting Vegeta's head, or both, adding the shine Vegeta has to Goku's original hair seems the easiest to make them somewhat similar.

What could I use? I've never done anything like this before. Doesn't really have to be anything that qualitatively high, just any way to make them more similar. (Assuming removing the sheen from Vegeta's PCE hair is harder or even next to undoable.)

Question: can anybody tell me whether it's easy (for a noob) to give the original ssj goku hair a polish so it has a sheen? I wanna use it with PCE Vegeta and rather than repainting Vegeta's head, or both, adding the shine Vegeta has to Goku's original hair seems the easiest to make them somewhat similar.

What could I use? I've never done anything like this before. Doesn't really have to be anything that qualitatively high, just any way to make them more similar. (Assuming removing the sheen from Vegeta's PCE hair is harder or even next to undoable.)

i would go with either just giving it a nice high gloss gloss coat spray OR using a gloss yellow (or whatever color you choose) spray and then top coat with a gloss coat. Tamiya paints are pretty good for this kind of stuff (ive used it on gundams). If you want shading you may have to go multilayer on the colors and use air brush-like techniques. Just be sure to look up how to properly spray things like model kits and it should come out fine, and maybe practice on something else first (maybe a figure-rise goku kit).

Just got this Trunks in the mail. His limited articulation on the legs is frustrating. Head can't switch with other shf Trunks.
fcad6c1abeea56e16ba5b5258325a2e1.jpg
bf0c29db589b4ee8f175d9e8e0f879db.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

It would be fairly easy to brush or spray on some high gloss. I would think the color on the SWA Goku head would match PCE Vegeta much better. The hair color on OG SSJ Goku has an almost greenish tint to it. The couple I have do.
I know Testors has clear coat in a spray can. You definitely want high gloss acrylic with spray or brush. Avoid enamel at all costs. I think it would be easier to apply it with a spray can. Brushing it on can end up with visible brush strokes.

Just got this Trunks in the mail. His limited articulation on the legs is frustrating. Head can't switch with other shf Trunks.

Which Trunks were you trying to fit the head on? I got my TP Trunks the other day and, while they are a bit tight, the heads fit on the Saiyan Armor Trunks. Definitely not OG or PCE Trunks. The faces, sadly, won't fit without a little modification.

It would be fairly easy to brush or spray on some high gloss. I would think the color on the SWA Goku head would match PCE Vegeta much better. The hair color on OG SSJ Goku has an almost greenish tint to it. The couple I have do.
I know Testors has clear coat in a spray can. You definitely want high gloss acrylic with spray or brush. Avoid enamel at all costs. I think it would be easier to apply it with a spray can. Brushing it on can end up with visible brush strokes.

Which Trunks were you trying to fit the head on? I got my TP Trunks the other day and, while they are a bit tight, the heads fit on the Saiyan Armor Trunks. Definitely not OG or PCE Trunks. The faces, sadly, won't fit without a little modification.
I tried it on both pce and saiyan armor trunks. Peg on saiyan armor is too big and the one on pce trunks is too small. This xenoverse Trunks is somewhere in between.

Yeah, it's possible, but if left in the peg hole will remain too large and not fit Xeno Trunks. Not a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That Majin Vegeta comes with an extra face!? Have they ever done that with a statue before?

All of them look phenomenal. Absolutely loving the Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta and Super Saiyan Trunks with the Spirit Sword!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I gave up on collecting the Figuarts ZERO stuff in favor of Banpresto (which is owned by Bandai, but still...). I always enjoy the Banpresto products and designs so much more! The only edge the Figuarts ZERO stuff has is mostly the plastic energy effect pieces that were part of the figurines.

Thanks Blog and misterw! Regarding the greenish tint, what I do is put an LED lamp onnir, small but very directly. It gives great shadows which highlight the mold, even make the yellow ssj gi glowy, and to boot it somehow miraculously washes out the green tint in the gphigh contrast. I recommend it. If you give him one of SWA Goku's faces you won't have a figure wasted. That's partly why I like the og goku mold, all the fabric ridges work really nicely heavily lit with light source directly above it.

And in that condotion some shading differences don't matter as much, only gloss or non-gloss, I'll look into it. I sometimes read that before adding anything, you have to rinse off a coat layer, is that for just a non-color gloss necessary as well?

Thanks Blog and misterw! Regarding the greenish tint, what I do is put an LED lamp onnir, small but very directly. It gives great shadows which highlight the mold, even make the yellow ssj gi glowy, and to boot it somehow miraculously washes out the green tint in the gphigh contrast. I recommend it. If you give him one of SWA Goku's faces you won't have a figure wasted. That's partly why I like the og goku mold, all the fabric ridges work really nicely heavily lit with light source directly above it.

And in that condotion some shading differences don't matter as much, only gloss or non-gloss, I'll look into it. I sometimes read that before adding anything, you have to rinse off a coat layer, is that for just a non-color gloss necessary as well?

as far as i know the rinsing the figure thing was just in case there is mold release residual left over from factory. This could kind of mess with paint binding to the surface. Good luck on the project :clap

Banpresto has been losing their edge on a lot of their Dragon Ball products. Especially the final products. Banpresto still has a lot of great products like a few from the past several months and the ones shown here. If the final product is anywhere near the quality that these are shown, they will bring a refreshing feeling towards purchasing their products again.

Figuarts Zeroes have been consistently outstanding. Figuarts Zero EX as well. The only one that I did not purchase in a long time was Super Saiyan 3 Goku Figuarts Zero and that was mainly due to the pose.

Those banprestos look nice. Man an shf trunks with that energy blade would be awesome.

It really would. I wouldn't mind a Figuarts Zero as well with the Spirit Sword.

For the rinsing/cleaning prior to painting I would recommend Purple Power. It's a degreaser you can pick up in the automotive cleaning aisle (where they have all the car wash soaps and waxes and stuff) at Wal-Mart for a few bucks. Just spray some on and use a toothbrush or similar to get rid of any residue then rinse it off with some water and let it air dry or blow dry it before you paint it. If you end up screwing up the clear coat or you just don't like it you can soak the hair piece overnight in a glass with enough Purple Power to have it submerged and it will remove the clear coat without screwing up the factory paint.

Man...that skirt part of Xenoverse Trunks is frustrating. I was barely able to put him in a running pose. Gonna play around with this Trunks to see other posing possibilities.
989d8ab4f50f92d421ef4c59f04c44cf.jpg

Back