Rowdy Roddy Piper dies at 61

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be watching "they Live" tonight.

cjKY0wWlPzLdC.gif

One of the greatest wrestlers to ever cut a promo in history. I will miss Hot Rod. So crazy how all my childhood wrestling heroes have pretty much all died.

Man this hurts. He was indeed an Icon of wrestling. The life of a Pro Wrestler sure is short. I hope Ronda Rousey comes out wearing a Hot Rod shirt with his bag pipes music playing in his honor tonight.

I was a big wrestling fan from August of 1989 until around October 2002. I tried to get back into it a few times after that but it couldn't hold my interest for more than a few weeks. It's really sad to see another icon from the 80's leave this world too soon. RIP Hot Rod.

Man, I just looked at a list of wrestlers who have died and there were a few names I didn't realize had died or I had forgotten. The vast majority of wrestler deaths are heart failure or drug overdose with a few suicides here and there.

What was Hot Rod's best match or feud? Superfly Snuka, The Mounty, Bret Hart, Mr T or was it against someone else?

Terrible news. But sadly, not surprising considering how many other former wrestlers have died way too soon. He was simply one of the best. You didn't get to the top of the ladder in the WWF in the mid-80s--the true golden era of entertaining pro wrestling--without having absolutely top level skills. Piper's Pit was often imitated, but never equaled.

What was Hot Rod's best match or feud? Superfly Snuka, The Mounty, Bret Hart, Mr T or was it against someone else?
Best match I've seen is probably his dog collar match against Greg "the Hammer" Valentine at Starrcade. Totally brutal, and caused Piper to have serious hearing damage in one ear. Another really good one, Piper previously said it was his favorite, was against Bret at Wrestlemania 8. Piper could deliver in the ring, but he doesn't have a list of truly great matches like some others, since his real skill was on the mic, and in getting under the skins of fans.

Best feud was with Mr. T, hands down.

Yep my favorite was the dog collar match against Valentine. Many who died early either abused steroids and/or pain meds neither of which Piper was known to have an issue with. Sometimes it's just genetics.

I'm sure he used steroids. He was a pretty big dude for much of his professional career. A guy not using steroids in the '80s was a very rare exception. Even Bret Hart used them a bit.

Back