Rome to the big screen?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rome was such a great show. Expensive to make, sure, but really significant.

On what Wetanut said, HBO and Showtime are the leaders in mature cultural productions. I would add John Adams and Curb to that list. The reason behind this is in part because network TV has been forced to deal with Rick Warren and the Church of Latter-day and Focus on the Family. Networks have to censor themselves or find thier sponsers cowtowing to those groups in fear. It has driven edgy non-"family friendly" ideas away from network TV, leaving HBO to fill the cultural void.

Showtime has Dexter which easily rivals a lot of the great HBO shows.
There's also A&E, FX, AMC, USA - a lot of the cable companies are getting into original programming and doing far edgier stuff than the networks, Nip/Tuck, The Shield, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica, etc. The violence of Rome might not have flown on those channels, but the subject matter wouldn't have been a problem.

I hope it happens, I liked Rome and have the 2 seasons on DVD.
Kevin McKidd went on to do Journeyman and it got canned too, I liked that show too.
Ray Stevenson is in the new Punisher movie and I can't wait to see that!
:chew

I forgot about Dexter! I love that show. By the way, how weird is it that Michael Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are dating? I saw them at a restaurant and couldn't get over the fact that they play brother and sister.

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!

https://www.fancast.com/blogs/the-m...ng-to-the-big-screen/?cmpid=FCST_buzz0317dwts

Most viewers agree that HBO’s Rome, an in-depth and authentic depiction of the realities of life in Caesar’s empire, ended far too soon, after only two seasons. One can understand the massive cost of such an elaborately constructed setting would take too much of a toll on the network’s budget as an ongoing series. However, a theatrical movie, where giant budgets are par for the course, might make a better fit for such an epic saga. So it’s good to hear Ray Stevenson, aka resident badass Titus Pullo, saying that Bruno Heller is writing the screenplay now, and the Rome film could go into production between six months and a year if all goes according to plan.

Stevenson is excited at the potential opportunity to step back into Titus Pullo’s sandals, and he says he completely trusts Heller not to drop the ball in taking it to a new medium, with even fewer restrictions than HBO gave him. “He never pulled his punches with the hard drama or the social status, or the action sequences. He put full honesty into the characters,” he said. As far as Pullo himself, Stevenson can’t wait to get back into it. “I love Pullo. I love him to pieces. This guy is going to come in with a high body count.” Considering where the series left off, with Titus about to expose an explosive secret to Caesarion, we might be able to guess who one of those bodies will be.

So is this going to be a continuation? I can't wait to see Titus Pullo cave some heads in again. :rock :blissysmi :rock

By the way it sounds yeah. But, I would not be saddened to have a movie filling some of the time gaps after they announced the show was ending. If it is just a continuation I hope they have some sort of flashback sequence that has Kevin McKidd in it too! :rock

Rome was one of the best shows ever!!! The Tudors are very good too, but they don't come close!
I hope they'll do there movie version of course, but wouldn't it be great if HBO reconsidered and gave a go for new seasons rather? There are so many things left to be told, and if Kevin McKidd can be re-introduced, let's hope he'll be part of this! The interaction between the two lead characters was so great! The brute and the desperate!

At least, if it never comes true, we had a real end. I wish it could have bee so with other shows, like Jericho!

Back