Rome to the big screen?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

praxitas

Super Freak
Reaction score
Please Please Please let this happen:

"Rome" might not be history," series creator says

LOS ANGELES — The creator of CBS' red-hot police procedural "The Mentalist" has unfinished business in Italy.

Bruno Heller says he wants to produce a theatrical wrap-up to his critically beloved and prematurely canceled HBO drama "Rome."

"There is talk of doing a movie version," he said. "It's moving along. It's not there until it is there. I would love to round that show off."

The lavish period drama ran for two seasons on HBO, which co-produced the series with the BBC. With the final season of "The Sopranos" as its lead-in, the first season was solidly rated, but high production costs presented the network with a tough call on the pickup. HBO opted for a second season to help get more value from its initial investment but not a third, effectively canceling the show in summer 2006 before the second season debuted the following January. The "Rome" sets were destroyed, and the actors were released from their contracts, making the decision all but irreversible.

Season 2 of "Rome" was a surprise. Although slightly lower-rated than the first, the show did remarkably well without a "Sopranos" lead-in. The first season received four Emmy Awards, and another seven Emmys were heaped upon the final season.

Suddenly "Rome" was a Greek tragedy: a hit show with no future. The broadcast networks quickly snatched up the show's leads for their top fall pilots.

HBO executives have since admitted that axing the show probably was a mistake.

One seeming drawback to revisiting the show after its wrap is the demise of a key lead character, Lucius (Kevin McKidd). Yet Heller reveals that the character's off-camera fate was far from fatal.

"It was very deliberate that we saw him drifting away but didn't see him atop a funeral pyre," Heller said.

McKidd has a recurring role on ABC's "Grey's Anatomy." Fellow "Rome" star Ray Stevenson is in "The Punisher," and Polly Walker is cast in Sci Fi's "Caprica."

A feature revival of a defunct series always is considered difficult, though HBO succeeded with "Sex and the City," and Fox's "Arrested Development" is making progress toward the big screen. Heller would not discuss plot ideas, but the original series outline for "Rome" next called for the hedonistic Roman leaders to deal with the rise of a certain problematic rabbi -- a story line that would have put a whole new spin on the Greatest Story Ever Told and potentially bring "Rome" a larger audience.

"I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end," Heller said. "The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around."

Thats great news. Sucks HBO canceled the show. Amazon has seasons 1 & 2 on sale today for $45. Great deal.

I hope this is true, too. Rome was a great show canceled before its time. I didn't realize they had 5 seasons planned out.

I would love to see a Rome movie, loved the show and was bumbed when it got canceled.

Hi Batty :wave

This is great news indeed. I think Rome is one of the best series ever on HBO and was shocked when it was cancelled. It makes me wonder what kind of legs a great show like True Blood can grow if Rome only lasted 2 seasons. I will be there opening day if Rome makes it to the big screen.

I think the main reason Rome was canceled was because of the production costs. They didn't spare anything with the look of the show.

Hi King. :wave

one of the best shows on telly in recent years... it's gutting to hear that they had a 5 year plan... it woudl have been great so have the stories of the second half of season two with the luxury of two full seasons to tell it in. And that 5th year sounded great.

dammit... i'm all angry now lol

ROME was a phenomenal show. I'd be interested to see if it works on the big screen. (although as the show itself was lavish and spared no expense I'm sure the transition will be quite easy)

I never actually saw the Rome TV Series it was on far too late when it aired in NZ :monkey2
But I'm a bit of a History Buff so if its done quite accurate I can't wait too see how it turns out :rock

"someone else" -- like maybe the networks -- woulda watered it down to the level of pablum. Too much nudity, too much obscenity, too much screwing around every whichawhere by everybody (Purefoy's full-frontal in Rome I would've made the networks go catatonic :monkey5 and what Octavia did with both Servilia and THEN her own brother Octavian in Rome II :naughty woulda been cut even before scenes were written).

I say bring the movie on.....Thirteen!! Thirteen!!!!

Man, that 5 year plan sounded great. Definitely one of my favorite shows in a long time.

Seeing the rise of that problematic rabbi from the Roman point of view would be great - that would make for a very cool movie too.

"someone else" -- like maybe the networks -- woulda watered it down to the level of pablum. Too much nudity, too much obscenity, too much screwing around every whichawhere by everybody (Purefoy's full-frontal in Rome I would've made the networks go catatonic :monkey5 and what Octavia did with both Servilia and THEN her own brother Octavian in Rome II :naughty woulda been cut even before scenes were written).

I say bring the movie on.....Thirteen!! Thirteen!!!!

Since I don't get HBO or any pay cable or dish, I just assumed that there was something else out there that was like HBO.

Since I don't get HBO or any pay cable or dish, I just assumed that there was something else out there that was like HBO.

Showtime maybe, but they've got a long way to go before they can really match HBO's "original" programming (Deadwood, Sopranos, Angels in America, (Helen Mirren's) Elizabeth, Rome, Carnavale, etc.) Right now, HBO is the cadillac for mature and intelligent shows IMO. Have you had a chance to see it? If not, you really should try .... rental or even buy. I originally started watching because of Ciarian Hinds (Caeser) and the subject matter (love the whole period encompassing the end of the Roman republic and the Julio-Claudian emperors). But the acting, twists in the story telling, and the POV of the main characters (Vorenus and Pullo) sucked me in almost immediately.

And I agree with Dave....5-year plan sounded great.

Thirteen! Thirteen!! Thirteen!!!!

Rome was such a great show. Expensive to make, sure, but really significant.

On what Wetanut said, HBO and Showtime are the leaders in mature cultural productions. I would add John Adams and Curb to that list. The reason behind this is in part because network TV has been forced to deal with Rick Warren and the Church of Latter-day and Focus on the Family. Networks have to censor themselves or find thier sponsers cowtowing to those groups in fear. It has driven edgy non-"family friendly" ideas away from network TV, leaving HBO to fill the cultural void.

Rome was great but Deadwood ^^^^ing ruled imo. favorite show, watched series twice. I liked Carnivàle a lot too and Sopranos was killer. I know a lot of folks thought it slowed in the middle but i dug it. Anyone ever watch American Gothic? It ran in the mid 90s, another great show that was cancelled early.

Back