Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually thought about calling out how that later Terminator sequels really abused the "dun nun DUN dun nun" music in contrast to RO so I'm glad you did. :lol

It was main title opening for T2, nothing else. For some reason people came to think of it as the T-800's theme and therefore composers took that up but it was never used within the main body of T1 or T2 as a piece of music. So it was just jarring as **** when they used it in Salvation and Genisys. Anyway, preaching to the converted.

Going back to Rogue One, I did like the understated Imperial March in Vader's first scene - instead of blasting it the composer went with something more akin to the way Williams scored Vader coming down the ramp of his shuttle in the opening of Jedi as Jerrjerrod nervously waits.

Last edited:
:lol

Nah, he was already labeled as master of scale after his first movie.

Talk about scale....

Even with a single eye and door!

View attachment 334167

I actually noticed the door closing on her eye just recently. Even if it was a CG door (which I don't think it was) how do you make it close perfectly (without cheating the physics since it's a symmetrical metal door) RIGHT on Felicity's eye after she casually picks her spot to stand and even moves her head back and forth to shush K-2 in the same shot! HOW!?? :lol

I like this scale...ahem...

View attachment 334168

Best shot of the movie. :lecture

Ok so here is where I say screw it.

Yep. Obviously there are movies that are fun or exciting flash in the pans. But I've watched RO a good 10 times or so now and at some point you just have to go "holy crap, after 10 times I'm still getting goosebumps at the action and feels from the drama. This movie is legit!" This really hasn't happened with an action/fantasy movie since LOTR and then maybe the first Matrix and T2 before that.

As much as I love ROTJ's finale I've often watched it and wondered what it would have been like if the land battle was Hoth quality and not riddled with ewoks and silly moments. Now I know. But then you've also got Vader in full ESB mode slicing through Rebel troops instead of him telling Luke how weak is he and going "ahhhhhhh" when he falls down after getting his hand chopped off. I *love* that RO ends with him furiously watching Leia's ship escape instead of giving him some silly "connect the movies" line like "track her hyperspace route because when they stop I want to make sure we're right behind them, alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival, bla bla bla."

Yes folks, RO is the real deal....ALL OF IT, not just the 3rd act anymore.

ALL OF IT!

It is an excellent SW movie that WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN or put aside even in our modern times of disposable entertainment.

No sir it won't because it's a great SW movie!

Yep, put this one up on the top shelf with the greats.

I do wonder what a SW movie would've been like had it come out between 1991-1995!

I love all the "ALIEN/ALIENS" parallels. I suppose it's fitting since both Ridley Scott and James Cameron were inspired by Star Wars themselves to varying degrees. But the on screen planet names with little descriptions about them are straight out of the ALIEN movies. And even though the turbo tank is a classic Joe Johnston design seeing it cruise across a muddy moon totally reminds me of the APC on LV-426. Jyn sticking her head above the floor as she climbs out to the top of the signal tower was a total Ripley moment. Even the "transmitting...transmitting..." sounds like something the computer voice would say on LV-426. Great stuff.

Honestly how is Episode 8/9, Infinity War, Avatar 2-10, etc., going to top this movie.

Last edited:
Khev and jye ... your reactions to this are getting me so psyched to watch a movie again that I've already seen 12 times (all theatrically). I have yet to have a chance to watch the BD, but I'm really hoping that life gives me time tonight. And I know that this will be blasphemy to almost all of you, but I actually put Rogue One second in the Star Wars hierarchy, trailing only the mighty Empire.
I realize that Rogue One works because of ANH, but I also believe that it makes ANH a better movie as well. Such a great film.

I actually noticed the door closing on her eye just recently. Even if it was a CG door (which I don't think it was) how do you make it close perfectly (without cheating the physics since it's a symmetrical metal door) RIGHT on Felicity's eye after she casually picks her spot to stand and even moves her head back and forth to shush K-2 in the same shot! HOW!?? :lol

Best shot of the movie. :lecture

Yep. Obviously there are movies that are fun or exciting flash in the pans. But I've watched RO a good 10 times or so now and at some point you just have to go "holy crap, after 10 times I'm still getting goosebumps at the action and feels from the drama. This movie is legit!" This really hasn't happened with an action/fantasy movie since LOTR and then maybe the first Matrix and T2 before that.

As much as I love ROTJ's finale I've often watched it and wondered what it would have been like if the land battle was Hoth quality and not riddled with ewoks and silly moments. Now I know. But then you've also got Vader in full ESB mode slicing through Rebel troops instead of him telling Luke how weak is he and going "ahhhhhhh" when he falls down after getting his hand chopped off. I *love* that RO ends with him furiously watching Leia's ship escape instead of giving him some silly "connect the movies" line like "track her hyperspace route because when they stop I want to make sure we're right behind them, alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival, bla bla bla."

Yep, put this one up on the top shelf with the greats.

I love all the "ALIEN/ALIENS" parallels. I suppose it's fitting since both Ridley Scott and James Cameron were inspired by Star Wars themselves to varying degrees. But the on screen planet names with little descriptions about them are straight out of the ALIEN movies. And even though the turbo tank is a classic Joe Johnston design seeing it cruise across a muddy moon totally reminds me of the APC on LV-426. Jyn sticking her head above the floor as she climbs out to the top of the signal tower was a total Ripley moment. Even the "transmitting...transmitting..." sounds like something the computer voice would say on LV-426. Great stuff.

Honestly how is Episode 8/9, Infinity War, Avatar 2-10, etc., going to top this movie.

Honestly I am still expecting great things out of E8/9 after RO delivered the goods.

Khev and jye ... your reactions to this are getting me so psyched to watch a movie again that I've already seen 12 times (all theatrically). I have yet to have a chance to watch the BD, but I'm really hoping that life gives me time tonight. And I know that this will be blasphemy to almost all of you, but I actually put Rogue One second in the Star Wars hierarchy, trailing only the mighty Empire.
I realize that Rogue One works because of ANH, but I also believe that it makes ANH a better movie as well. Such a great film.

I 100% agree that it enhances and not hurts ANH.

You bring up a good point.

Yes ANH/ESB are perfect movies even without the significance it had on pop culture and cinema in general.

They are just perfect movies, both of them although ESB does need ANH to make it perfect hence why i'll always choose ANH (really SW dammit) over ESB.

That being said there is nothing wrong with wanting to place RO next to those 2 greats because we're not judging it based on historical significance we are judging it on a pure narrative plot story action reasons and the movie delivers on those fronts.

Of course RO, TFA, E8/9 will never have the historical cultural impact that the OT did so they should never be judged on those merits.

So yeah, there is no shame saying it's as good as ANH or ESB, I just said it's better than ROTJ so sue me lol.

It would've been more tragic had he (Saw or Saul) decided to come out of the shadow and want to meet up with the alliance to discuss strategy and then get killed like you said.

Absolutely. Definitely a missed opportunity there.

Also hands down RO now has my favorite 3D bluray menu, just wow!

I did get a kick when I saw the menu and was like: Ooooooooh, fancy.

I also love the shot when the Stardestroyer comes out of the DS's shadow right toward camera in 3D. Reminded me of the TFA shot with that SD poking you right in the nose.

It's so strange and wonderful to have a Star Wars movie (40 years later) that can stand next to the original Big Two...

I see no shame in this:

ANH
ESB
RO

I see only a wonderful 6 hours spent.

(and that's 3 hours less than Jackson's personal cut of FOTR).

Absolutely. Definitely a missed opportunity there.

I did get a kick when I saw the menu and was like: Ooooooooh, fancy.

I also love the shot when the Stardestroyer comes out of the DS's shadow right toward camera in 3D. Reminded me of the TFA shot with that SD poking you right in the nose.

Yes that shot also reminded me of TFA destroyer in 3D!

The TFA one has better 3D but I actually prefer the composition of the RO one.

I hope you read my huge post I left for you lol.

Oh, I have a solution for the young Jyn outracing Krennic's ship.

He may very well have circled once to check things out... and then chosen to land far from the house to avoid any potential traps -- also, he may have a few more Death troopers hanging back if anyone flees on a speeder or something. You'd need the distance to cut them off.

Oh, I have a solution for the young Jyn outracing Krennic's ship.

He may very well have circled once to check things out... and then chosen to land far from the house to avoid any potential traps -- also, he may have a few more Death troopers hanging back if anyone flees on a speeder or something. You'd need the distance to cut them off.

Like I said we weren't going to let that minor nit pick get in the way of giving this movie its well deserved recognition.

I like that Jyn/Cassian and all of RO on the ground died because had they lived it would've been a happy/happy ending and that's just too much happiness.

Jyn/Cassian living would've watered down Leia's "Hope" message that closed the movie.

I liked it that it went from tragedy/sadness (Jyn/Cassian deaths) to then Leia's Hope.

I also liked it that Leia's Hope message is really honoring Galen/Saw/Jyn/Cassian/RO sacrifices because they went on that mission in the name of hope.

Jyn said they were going to get it done one step at a time, like eating an elephant one bite at a time.

I also liked it that Leia's Hope message is really honoring Galen/Saw/Jyn/Cassian/RO sacrifices because they went on that mission in the name of hope.

Until ANH ass Dodonna says the plans were "provided by Princess Leia" and everyone golf-caps and Leia bows like a prom queen. Memba?

I like that Chris Weitz had Chirrut saying "May the Force of others be with you" to passersby in Jedha. That's *really* old school, in fact it's a phrase that dates all the way back to George Lucas' very first SW draft.

Looking forward to having a Rogue One/A New Hope double feature this week.

The steelbook is sexy as hell.

Wor-Gar did you notice that when everyone was pouring out of the exit to Saw's hideout as everything was collapsing that Two Tubes was standing in the doorway, pulling people to safety instead of fleeing himself? I wonder if he really was trying to help every last person or if he was specifically doing a headcount looking for Saw (or maybe his own twin brother.)

Yeah there were two of those guys:

Rogue-one-trailer-still-photo-3.jpg

Back