Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16)

Sorry, I was being facetious.:lol

But... now that you're going back to include the mid 2000's we can widen the net:

Lucy
Wanted
Sucker Punch
Aeon Flux
Serenity
Mr. and Mrs Smith
Domino
Mad Max - Fury Road
Ultraviolet
Elektra
Lara Cr 1/2
Resident Evil III, IV and V
Haywire
Deathproof/Grindhouse/Planet Terror
Colombiana
Kill Bill 1 & 2
Bandidas
Charlie's Angels 1/2
Catwoman
In the Blood
Bloodrayne
Everly
The Heat (action/comedy, though plenty of female kick-butt)
Guardians of the Galaxy (just as much female kick-butt as male)
Dark Knight Rises (plenty of female kick-butt and marketed as such)
Syriana
(Several Marvel movies where Black Widow is more a supporting lead)
Blade: Trinity
Ghost in the Shell

Star Wars Ep.8, 9... ?:lol

This is going to subjective of course...

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is too even IMO. It can live in both categories.

Dark Knight Rises...still equals a boy kick-butt film. Yes, Catwoman is in it but frankly it's still a Batman film in which he is the main character...she's plays second fiddle in the film.

Star Wars Episode 8...IMO can live in both categories. Yes, Rey is important and is being set-up as such but overall I came away that the film has many points of focus (Finn and Kylo especially...with HINTS of Poe perhaps playing a bigger role in future films). But again...that was my own personal take away from the film. I know other's have vastly differing opinions on it.

Guardians of the Galaxy is Starlords film...Gamora and Nebula are strong female characters within the film but ultimately Starlord is the main character. Again...IMO.

You forgot Spy though...from the same director of The Heat. ;-)

Good lists overall and I think in the end shows that, if anything, there's almost equal amounts of movies with male and female leads in strong roles. Seems like the right variety to please lots of movie goers. :)

This is going to subjective of course...

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is too even IMO. It can live in both categories.

Dark Knight Rises...still equals a boy kick-butt film. Yes, Catwoman is in it but frankly it's still a Batman film in which he is the main character...she's plays second fiddle in the film.

Star Wars Episode 8...IMO can live in both categories. Yes, Rey is important and is being set-up as such but overall I came away that the film has many points of focus (Finn and Kylo especially...with HINTS of Poe perhaps playing a bigger role in future films). But again...that was my own personal take away from the film. I know other's have vastly differing opinions on it.

Guardians of the Galaxy is Starlords film...Gamora and Nebula are strong female characters within the film but ultimately Starlord is the main character. Again...IMO.

You forgot Spy though...from the same director of The Heat. ;-)

Good lists overall and I think in the end shows that, if anything, there's almost equal amounts of movies with male and female leads in strong roles. Seems like the right variety to please lots of movie goers. :)

Women are more than half the US population, and since the late 2000's women have bought more movie tickets than men (reversing the prevailing situation that existed for decades before the mid 2000's, a development studios were late to recognize and capitalize on.)

I suppose it could be argued that while the above films are not the #1 choice for female moviegoers in general, they often do make up the majority of opening weekend crowds (HG 1 was nearly 2/3's female.)

Next year's Wonder Woman however will be a major test as there has yet to be a successful female-lead superhero movie, the reason there has not been a Black Widow movie.

Women are more than half the US population, and since the late 2000's women have bought more movie tickets than men (reversing the prevailing situation that existed for decades before the mid 2000's, a development studios were late to recognize and capitalize on.)

I suppose it could be argued that while the above films are not the #1 choice for female moviegoers in general, they often do make up the majority of opening weekend crowds (HG 1 was nearly 2/3's female.)

Next year's Wonder Woman however will be a major test as there has yet to be a successful female-lead superhero movie, the reason there has not been a Black Widow movie.

If the Wonder Woman hits all the right points (good/engaging story, good casting, good action) it can be a success and will bring in crowds of all types. Typically the superhero female lead movies don't hit all the right marks, they fail, and then studios won't back other endevours.

I'm not confident at this point DC has the right formula in place for their superhero and villian films but we'll see how WW turns out (and Suicude Squad before that).

And now back to Rogue one!

Black Widow is a boring-ass character :dunno

Sorry, I was being facetious.:lol

But... now that you're going back to include the mid 2000's we can widen the net:

Lucy
Wanted
Sucker Punch
Aeon Flux
Serenity
Mr. and Mrs Smith
Domino

Mad Max - Fury Road
Ultraviolet
Elektra
Lara Cr 1/2
Resident Evil III, IV and V
Haywire
Deathproof/Grindhouse/Planet Terror
Colombiana

Kill Bill 1 & 2
Bandidas
Charlie's Angels 1/2
Catwoman
In the Blood
Bloodrayne
Everly
The Heat (action/comed
y, though plenty of female kick-butt)
Guardians of the Galaxy (just as much female kick-butt as male)
Dark Knight Rises (plenty of female kick-butt and marketed as such)
Syriana
(Several Marvel movies where Black Widow is more a supporting lead)
Blade: Trinity

Ghost in the Shell

Awful films...almost all of them. You forgot those awful vampire films, Hunger Games, and Detergent...or whatever the name is.

I liked Lucy a lot, the film's only major flaw was to take the "humans only use 10% of the brain" line literally :slap

Black Widow is a boring-ass character :dunno

I guess that's why her outfits are designed to accentuate the latter part of your "boring" description.:dunno

If the Wonder Woman hits all the right points (good/engaging story, good casting, good action) it can be a success and will bring in crowds of all types. Typically the superhero female lead movies don't hit all the right marks, they fail, and then studios won't back other endevours.

I'm not confident at this point DC has the right formula in place for their superhero and villian films but we'll see how WW turns out (and Suicude Squad before that).

And now back to Rogue one!

DC lucked out with a movie that mirrors Marvel's current creative choice (Square-jawed Americana hero Versus rich, glib playboy tech wizard) and got a solid hit - the bigger question is the larger network of films.

Rogue One will be the similar test. The fact it's gotten as many dislikes in 48 hours that TFA's trailer did in 6 months says there's a lot of push-back to the grittier tone (I don't buy it's anti-heroine bias.)

While you could argue this is where everything's heading right now (look at SS and even DP) it feels more like a good tone for a Netflix Star Wars show in the vein of Law and Order, not something to get a broad audience into theaters. But who knows, I was amazed to see little kids in the Dark Knight films which felt like gritty post-911 thrillers, not something Hasbro does toys for.

if disney wants to bring more female fans to the star wars franchise maybe they should just hire the writers and director of 50 shades of grey,
after all thats the highest grossing movie that had a 90% female audience, :dunno

if disney wants to bring more female fans to the star wars franchise maybe they should just hire the writers and director of 50 shades of grey,
after all thats the highest grossing movie that had a 90% female audience, :dunno

"Mr. Vader will see you now.":lol

I guess that's why her outfits are designed to accentuate the latter part of your "boring" description.:dunno

DC lucked out with a movie that mirrors Marvel's current creative choice (Square-jawed Americana hero Versus rich, glib playboy tech wizard) and got a solid hit - the bigger question is the larger network of films.

Rogue One will be the similar test. The fact it's gotten as many dislikes in 48 hours that TFA's trailer did in 6 months says there's a lot of push-back to the grittier tone (I don't buy it's anti-heroine bias.)

While you could argue this is where everything's heading right now (look at SS and even DP) it feels more like a good tone for a Netflix Star Wars show in the vein of Law and Order, not something to get a broad audience into theaters. But who knows, I was amazed to see little kids in the Dark Knight films which felt like gritty post-911 thrillers, not something Hasbro does toys for.

Hasbro's and pretty much everything movie related toy line wise sucks. All you get is characters and horrible vehicles from movies, what sells is costumes and Lego related merchandise more than anything.

I don't get why everyone is all pissy about a female lead, I'm just happy we will see more OT related merchandise

Can't believe we are actually getting a Star Wars movie that has Jyn Erso and Kal Tarnak from the Dork Farces games in it.

fLziryg.jpg

Has it gotten as many dislikes as positives? Is there some kind of true tracker outside of a person's perception and the outlets that will post headlines and stories as click bait (or sensational content) to bring in views or their friends (online and off)? From my journey around the net and offline since the trailer dropped it's been far more positive than negative but that's due to my social feed, my real life friends/associates and other places I visit. Whereas someone else could perceive things in an entirely different way due to who makes up their social feed, whom they associate with offline and outlets they visit. Ultimately the real proof will be in the box office numbers and folks reviews after seeing it.

Well they will do that of course... I'm just suggesting that Black Widow not getting a standalone movie has more to do with the bland nature of the character than the fact that it's a female character.

Well they will do that of course... I'm just suggesting that Black Widow not getting a standalone movie has more to do with the bland nature of the character than the fact that it's a female character.
I think a Black Widow spinoff would be better than that Agent Coulson TV series. That thing sucks @$$! :lol

I think a Black Widow spinoff would be better than that Agent Coulson TV series. That thing sucks @$$! :lol

Sad that it doesn't happen very often, but frame pretty much any character inside a good script and a good story and it should do well.

I really want to see how much red she has in her ledger.

Gotta love Russian title...

"Rogue-One. Star Wars: Stories"

:slap

Back