Robocop (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take a firm, and lonely, stand when I say that I've always enjoyed Stallone's Dredd movie. It is the PERFECT compliment in a double-feature with Demolition Man.
No, it wasn't the Dredd we wanted, but it was still a fun fun movie. Where else are you going to see Max Von Sydow in extreme closeup with a dry booger fleck spinning around in his nostril?
:lol :lol :lol

Demolition Man's a cool flick - agreed.

I guess we all have our guilty pleasure faves, so 'one person's treasure' etc.

Just out of curiosity folks, is there actually an existing 'guilty pleasure' thread in the film & TV section?

There's certainly potential for some lively debate there.. :lol

It should be, though I haven't seen Robo14. Geeks are a hard lot to sort. :D
And there's kind of a geek religion that connects certain things together. And we all know how treacherous religions can be. ;)

Dredd and RoboCop 2014 are both great movies, is that allowed?

The term great is right up there with excellent and perfect.

The movies that occupy those terms are your Raiders, Empire, T1/2, STM, 89 Batman, RC1, TDK, Avengers, The Thing, Exorcist, so on and so forth.

RC 2014 is not great in my book, more like "OK, could've been much worse, had no business being as good as it did". :lol

It should be illegal for movie and comic geeks to use the word "overrated". :) It's overused, misused, and misunderstood.

Please. "Overrated" isn't used *enough*. Go to the "Rate the last movie you watched" thread. EVERY movie is a 9/10 or 10/10. Including Dredd, which is apparently as "great" as ALIENS, RoboCop, Raiders, Schindler's List, etc. Give me a break.

I think this is actually well stated. Its simple...and so is Dredd. It didn't need a Kaiser Soze or Trevor Slattery, its a beautiful panther chasing down prey. Art in the simplicity of form. Also considering Dredd was shot on the supercheap, makes me glad they kept it simple rather than trying to reach and fail.

And that's where I think I differ from a lot of you. I *like* my movies to reach for greatness, regardless of the budget, rather than aspire to simple mediocrity and nail it. Yes, as a movie about a guy who looks cool and walks from one room to the next changing the settings on his magic pistol as he shoots bad guys in slow-motion for 90 minutes, yeah, it does a good job of showcasing that and nothing else. I just like more.

Movies don't need crazy twists or 200 million dollar budgets to be good or great, but they definitely need more than Dredd.

Please. "Overrated" isn't used *enough*. Go to the "Rate the last movie you watched" thread. EVERY movie is a 9/10 or 10/10. Including Dredd, which is apparently as "great" as ALIENS, RoboCop, Raiders, Schindler's List, etc. Give me a break.

Ok fine, I will elevate ALIENS, RoboCop, Raiders, Schindler's List, etc to masterpieces just so Dredd can be labeled great. :lol

Just makes me happier no one can tell anyone else what to like or how to enjoy it. And it makes me smile when people get upset when others like something they don't. :)

Dredd walking out of the RC movie. :lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 81
Ok fine, I will elevate ALIENS, RoboCop, Raiders, Schindler's List, etc to masterpieces just so Dredd can be labeled great. :lol

Change the adjectives however you need to but the point remains that Dredd isn't even in the same ballpark as those movies. Like I said, third tier at best. ;)

RC 2014 is not great in my book, more like "OK, could've been much worse, had no business being as good as it did". :lol

Yep, while Dredd is also "OK, could have been much better, had no business being praised as highly as it was by a few Freaks." :D

Dredd walking out of the RC movie. :lol

I was going to post a pic of someone walking out of the Dredd movie but since no one actually purchased a ticket during its 7 day theatrical run none could be found.

Last edited:
Back