Robocop (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Urban, no pulling punches on the violence, simple yet compelling story, Urban, performances, one liners, Urban, visuals, sound, slow mo sequences, Urban.

..... Did I mention Karl Urban?

That's what I thought. How is "Visuals" specific? Or "sound." "Slow mo?" :lol

WHY is the story compelling? A total by the numbers shoot 'em up. "Performances?" What performances were *great?* Robocop 2014 *absolutely* had better performances than Dredd.

I'd say there's at least three tiers of action sci-fi shoot 'em ups.

Tier 1: Truly GREAT films

The Terminator
ALIENS
Robocop
District 9

Tier 2: Really good and or memorable/iconic films

Terminator 2
The Matrix

Tier 3: Mediocre or generic but not *bad*

Dredd 2012
Robocop 2014
Elysium

And then of course you go down to Tier 4, 5, 6, and so on. :)

That's what I thought. How is "Visuals" specific? Or "sound." "Slow mo?" :lol
What can I elaborate on visuals? Just look at them :lol this is one movie where dark and gritty is not a hyperbole and it's a super oppressive view of the future that gets translated perfectly, and sound, the sound design is just very good, put on a pair of headphones and listen to it, I'm not even talking about the "bass drops" that occur when someone hits the slow mo.

WHY is the story compelling? A total by the numbers shoot 'em up. "Performances?" What performances were *great?* Robocop 2014 *absolutely* had better performances than Dredd.

The story is simple, not much to say about it, it's an excuse for the action, but this IS an action movie without delusions of grandeur, it doesn't take itself too seriously, it doesn't try to sell itself pretending to have ulterior meaning, straight to the point, that's the virtue of it, and the performances are very vanilla but consistent, not too much, not too weak, just in tone, the movie it's worth watching and rewatching (in my case) just because Urban himself, his portray of a miserable righteous badass is in tone with the movie, just the right amount without any pretensions.

Tier 1: Truly GREAT films

The Terminator
ALIENS
Robocop
District 9

Tier 2: Really good and or memorable/iconic films

Terminator 2
The Matrix

Tier 3: Mediocre or generic but not *bad*

Dredd 2012
Robocop 2014
Elysium

And then of course you go down to Tier 4, 5, 6, and so on. :)

I'd put T2 on tier one though, imo T2 is better than Terminator.

like i said, i'd take moldy bread before this movie.

moldy bread > robo 2014 > dog p0op

having great supporting cast doesn't equate to great movie.

It should be illegal for movie and comic geeks to use the word "overrated". :) It's overused, misused, and misunderstood.

Urban, no pulling punches on the violence, simple yet compelling story, Urban, performances, one liners, Urban, visuals, sound, slow mo sequences, Urban.

..... Did I mention Karl Urban?

I think this is actually well stated. Its simple...and so is Dredd. It didn't need a Kaiser Soze or Trevor Slattery, its a beautiful panther chasing down prey. Art in the simplicity of form. Also considering Dredd was shot on the supercheap, makes me glad they kept it simple rather than trying to reach and fail.

I take a firm, and lonely, stand when I say that I've always enjoyed Stallone's Dredd movie. It is the PERFECT compliment in a double-feature with Demolition Man.
No, it wasn't the Dredd we wanted, but it was still a fun fun movie. Where else are you going to see Max Von Sydow in extreme closeup with a dry booger fleck spinning around in his nostril?

Back