RED led Iron Man vs YELLOW led Iron Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Entropy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Personally I wish that the Stealth Iron Man had yellow lights instead of red like the charity IM. Even if one were to repaint the Stealth armor the standard red & yellow the leds would be the wrong color. Are red lights comic book accurate?
15ce_12.JPG

71552_press06-001.jpg

I believe this has been asked before and Sideshow stated that both lights are the same color.

I also noticed that the 2 color paint job on the Stealth IM doesn't match up with the original.

The Stealth has darker blue/green parts and blue parts instead of red and gold. I would've thought that the darker blue/green would be in the same places that the red is and the blue would be where the gold is on the original, but it's very different, most noticeably where the glove meets the forearm and where the chest and back armor meet. Still cool looking, but different than I thought it'd be. Customizing this to look like the charity IM looks a lot more difficult and involved than I'd first guessed.

Why would it matter if the LED's color is comic accurate if the stealth armor isn't comic accurate either? :D

I believe this has been asked before and Sideshow stated that both lights are the same color.

Hmm interesting. Do you recall where SS mentioned that? I looked through the various threads and didn't see anything addressing the color of the lights. Doesn't look the same color in those two pics. Regardless, Iron Man should have yellow lights not red right?

I'm curious how much work it would take to replicate the charity IM. Repainting is one thing, replacing the leds is a LOT more difficult.

I also noticed that the 2 color paint job on the Stealth IM doesn't match up with the original.

The Stealth has darker blue/green parts and blue parts instead of red and gold. I would've thought that the darker blue/green would be in the same places that the red is and the blue would be where the gold is on the original, but it's very different, most noticeably where the glove meets the forearm and where the chest and back armor meet. Still cool looking, but different than I thought it'd be. Customizing this to look like the charity IM looks a lot more difficult and involved than I'd first guessed.

There's been discussion all over StatueForum about how one would go about customizing this Stealth to have the Red/Gold color. The general consensus is it's "doable", but very involved. First, one has to know how Sideshow obtained the metallic look. Sounds like you'd need to fork out more than the cost of the Stealth to find someone to repaint this statue.

Hmm interesting. Do you recall where SS mentioned that? I looked through the various threads and didn't see anything addressing the color of the lights. Doesn't look the same color in those two pics. Regardless, Iron Man should have yellow lights not red right?

I'm curious how much work it would take to replicate the charity IM. Repainting is one thing, replacing the leds is a LOT more difficult.

If it's not in a thread, then it was asked at the Con. Basically, it boils down to the lighting used to take the pics, and the color bleed because the rest of it is a different color. Bottom-line, no one would have the original Charity IM to compare with, except for the original purchaser (and Robert Downey Jr). For the record, it doesn't help worrying about it at this point. What matters is that we're getting a cool lit-up IM!

Don't forget that your eye can fool you when one color is held up next to two different colors.

There's been discussion all over StatueForum about how one would go about customizing this Stealth to have the Red/Gold color. The general consensus is it's "doable", but very involved. First, one has to know how Sideshow obtained the metallic look. Sounds like you'd need to fork out more than the cost of the Stealth to find someone to repaint this statue.

I'll talk on the involvement of painting the stealth to red/gold.

I am not a master painter by far, but having seen the paint application layers on the original first hand:

(don't try this at home)
:monkey2

broken_im_comiquette1.jpg

It's clear that they used a very simple build-up paint process. This is done by priming the piece, sanding, applying a silver or chrome base paint, and spraying a transparent red or yellow over that. A clear coat and polishing and you have a purdy shell head. This is in no way easy or quick when you have a fully assembled IM statue. For all that try, I wish you the best of luck.
:cool:

I'm actually in the process of stealthin' out my IM bust. Here is a concept/reference pic:

GE-Stealth-IronMan-Bust.jpg

I hope to finish by the time my Stealth IM comiquette ships.

I'll talk on the involvement of painting the stealth to red/gold.

I am not a master painter by far, but having seen the paint application layers on the original first hand:

(don't try this at home)
:monkey2

broken_im_comiquette1.jpg

It's clear that they used a very simple build-up paint process. This is done by priming the piece, sanding, applying a silver or chrome base paint, and spraying a transparent red or yellow over that. A clear coat and polishing and you have a purdy shell head. This is in no way easy or quick when you have a fully assembled IM statue. For all that try, I wish you the best of luck.

I'm actually in the process of stealthin' out my IM bust. Here is a concept/reference pic:

GE-Stealth-IronMan-Bust.jpg

I hope to finish by the time my Stealth IM comiquette ships.

Nice.:rock:rock:rock

Agreed and it certainly could just be the pics. The chest light in the charity IM does look a bit red like the stealth, but the arm and eye lights look very different.

red light, yellow light... at least it lights up. Hopefully SS will do a similar lightup PF for the new movie armor.

Awesome. thanks for the pics and the info, ghettoenhanced. That bust is beautiful.

I've painted a few cars and models in a similar fashion. The main problem will be taking the various parts off and reassembling. It'll get even hairier if the leds need replacing - perhaps more than I dare attempt. It'd be nice if SS were to smash one and put up pictures showing how the electronics are embedded. :cool:

It is really unfortunate that the Yellow LED Iron Man will never be made available to the public again. I would love a chance to get that piece under $18,000....even though it went to a great cause I would have loved to see a retail version.

The main problem will be taking the various parts off and reassembling. It'll get even hairier if the leds need replacing - perhaps more than I dare attempt. It'd be nice if SS were to smash one and put up pictures showing how the electronics are embedded. :cool:

Yeah, it's a pain in a$$ to paint that statue in an assembled state.
I had to hammer off the shoulder plates of my bust so I can paint it correctly.
:eek:

Crikey! Hammer it off eh? Even if I get everything off sounds like I'll have to resculpt the inevitable damaged bits.

I can't get over how badass that Stealth bust looks. Please post pics of the various stages of that gorgeous work in progress.

It is really unfortunate that the Yellow LED Iron Man will never be made available to the public again. I would love a chance to get that piece under $18,000....even though it went to a great cause I would have loved to see a retail version.

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but there hasn't been an official word from SS that a Red/Gold light-up will never be made again.

Back