Re: Gandalf the Grey 12" in hand pics !!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mines was in storage for the most part in my basement, which is always cool.

That is weird. Was the staff loose or still in the original packaging?

I have a couple of Gandalfs still in their boxes in storage, but the EX I've had on display in a cabinet since day one shows no signs of anything that extreme. The cabinet has no lighting in it tho.

Guess I'd better check the others to see if they're still okay...

It is weird since it's the only item in my collection that underwent this process. It wasn't in it's original packaging but it was still kept in a plastic container with a lid.:dunno

This is just a guess, but could some of the staffs (staves?) have had hollow spaces or air pockets inside? That might account for it. The only other thing I can think of would be some sort of solvent or other chemical reaction with the plastic.

But if it's still completely solid plastic through and through, then maybe it's some new kind of plastic-eating virus... like "Mutant 59: The Plastic Eaters"! :horror

Sorry for the necropost, but I took a crack at repainting Gandalf and thought I'd share him. He'd been bugging me for years, with his soft raw-prawn complexion. Plus figures cast in flesh tone tend to lose a lot of their fine detail. He still needs a little more work on the beard ...

Nice work Butthead!

tom-wilson-800x430.jpg

Damn, that looks amazing.
I've always wanted to get a repaint, but didn't know how that would turn out... What paints did you use, if you don't mind my asking.

Damn, that looks amazing.
I've always wanted to get a repaint, but didn't know how that would turn out... What paints did you use, if you don't mind my asking.

Thanks abake! They're Windsor & Newtown artists' acrylics, nothing fancy at all. And with Gandalf I didn't even strip the paint – I just went straight in over the top of the factory paint job.

Here's Gandalf all finished:

wow! It actually looks like Ian McKellan now! I just wasn't seeing him before. May have to do this...

wow! It actually looks like Ian McKellan now! I just wasn't seeing him before. May have to do this...

Thanks Tim - there really is a great sculpt in there (so often the way with SS's factory paint apps) - will look forward to seeing some pics of yours! ;)

Decided to do some paint work on my Gandalf tonight. Past stuff Ive done was putting him on a HT True Type. Dirtied up his robes. Weathered them. Water treated them etc. But the factory paint has always bothered me, so I decided to give it a go. Curious to see what Asmus and ACI have planned for this character.

9397_10151614704809663_163026087_n.jpg

969956_10151614704549663_2008593633_n.jpg

972253_10151614704704663_1107716280_n.jpg

Back