Rainman Artwork 2013 NYC Cabbie "Driver"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rainman Artwork 2013 NYC Cabbie "God's Lonely Man"

Got it. I do agree, I've also tried to defend RM from the occasional trolls in the PF threads. I think now that RM has provided his 2 cents directly things should really settle down. Time to enjoy the figure guys...it will be great.

:lecture:exactly::)

If the cost is really $1,500, then you may well have a point Levit. Early on during talk about the gun slide thing, it seemed everyone was just expecting a perfect likeness, and that's what they based their interest on. It may depend on edition size. I'm very curious to see how it all plays out. And in fairness, we've only received a small handful of shots of the painted sculpt so far.

Last edited:

i think the DXes won't sell well...everything else...will...but Kara definitely brings up the point i have been saying all year long...stop buying everything he puts out if you don't like it...cause in the end when you do....YOU are part of the equation/problem that seems to happen much too often in these RM threads...

This right here is the fundamental difference between you and me. I don't see a problem but just except that there are limitations in this hobby, whether from the craftsman or the medium itself. Nothing is perfect. If you show me something in this hobby that you feel is perfect, I will show you mistakes. Be it Silentsurfer, Elvis, Rainman, robbiethepainter, Trevor, or even Hot Toys and Enterbay. I determine whether or not I buy based on my want of a given item. But what I do not do, is infer some one is not giving it their all, even if they are not. I can't know there intentions. I interpret your statement of being "part of the problem" as saying I promote mediocrity because I like something that others find inadequate. I think that is what some find offending. Once again, l don't know if that is what you are saying but to me that is how it sounds.

Last edited:

I am very much firmly in the camp if you don't like it don't buy. Those who have done nothing but moan and complain but will likely still buy it (we all know who they are) are the real problem. Rainman has stated this is it he's happy with it if your not that's fine at least have the ***** to stick to your convictions and not buy!

Personally I'm buying!

i think the DXes won't sell well...everything else...will...but Kara definitely brings up the point i have been saying all year long...stop buying everything he puts out if you don't like it...cause in the end when you do....YOU are part of the equation/problem that seems to happen much too often in these RM threads...

I dont think that will happen. Look at Jules. Many dont see SLJ in that sculpt (i agree 100%) and yet it still sold out (longer than any othr RM fig, but it still sold out)
Its kind of like when HT have issues with their figs (ie: oily batman) and although its clear their getting a lemon, peeps will still defend it to the bitter end and buy them!
I agree with you, but in the end, peeps will still buy this.

Are you saying this is a lemon hahaha, jeez, just because you guys don't see the likeness doesn't mean it isn't there or that others can't genuinely like it

This right here is the fundamental difference between you and me. I don't see a problem but just except that there are limitations in this hobby, whether from the craftsman or the medium itself. Nothing is perfect. If you show me something in this hobby that you feel is perfect, I will show you mistakes. Be it Silentsurfer, Elvis, Rainman, robbiethepainter, Trevor, or even Hot Toys and Enterbay. I determine whether or not I buy based on my want of a given item. But what I do not do, is infer some one is not giving it their all even if they are not. I can't know there intentions. I interpret your statement of being "part of the problem" as saying I promote mediocrity because I like something that others find inadequate. I think that is what some find offending. Once again, l don't know if that is what you are saying but to me that is how it sounds.

Robbie I agree to a certain extent. However as an artist I know you understand that there is a difference between good and good enough. Sometimes if the accuracy is the goal an artist pushes himself or herself until the goal is reached. Other times the goal isn't accuracy. It's the prerogative of every artist to work as much as he likes on his art. You brought up the names of some well known artists in your post. Most of those are known for their brilliant work including yourself. Nathan (silentsurfer) has probably the keenest attention to detail I've ever seen. But he's slow in the sense that it takes him a good amount of Time to perfect his work. That's a good thing. Because of that his backlog is enormous. He's had some stuff of mine for almost 9 months! Rainman doesn't strive for that level of perfection. Because to rainman it's a business more than art. Rocco is an excellent sculptor. His likenesses are very very good. But the man tends to work fast and leave his sculpts feeling a little rough. If he took a bit more time to refine each sculpt he would be considered on the upper tier if sculptors (if he isn't already). But he chooses to instead takes that time to sculpt more commissions. Maybe he takes 6 head sculpt projects on instead of five.

I know that of I didn't care about the precision of my dioramas I could make 5-6 a year instead of 3-4. But I do care. Because to me the work is valuable. But then again I have the luxury of having a full time job. As do you Robbie. I don't think rainman does. I'm not sure rainman gets commissioned to sculpt for other companies anymore. Denny hasn't used him. And to my knowledge there aren't any plans to use him

Are you saying this is a lemon hahaha, jeez, just because you guys don't see the likeness doesn't mean it isn't there or that others can't genuinely like it

No not at all. just responding to L05 comment. Im just giving an example of how even when peep have issues with a fig, they'll still purchase it.

Robbie I agree to a certain extent. However as an artist I know you understand that there is a difference between good and good enough. Sometimes if the accuracy is the goal an artist pushes himself or herself until the goal is reached. Other times the goal isn't accuracy. It's the prerogative of every artist to work as much as he likes on his art. You brought up the names of some well known artists in your post. Most of those are known for their brilliant work including yourself. Nathan (silentsurfer) has probably the keenest attention to detail I've ever seen. But he's slow in the sense that it takes him a good amount of Time to perfect his work. That's a good thing. Because of that his backlog is enormous. He's had some stuff of mine for almost 9 months! Rainman doesn't strive for that level of perfection. Because to rainman it's a business more than art. Rocco is an excellent sculptor. His likenesses are very very good. But the man tends to work fast and leave his sculpts feeling a little rough. If he took a bit more time to refine each sculpt he would be considered on the upper tier if sculptors (if he isn't already). But he chooses to instead takes that time to sculpt more commissions. Maybe he takes 6 head sculpt projects on instead of five.

I know that of I didn't care about the precision of my dioramas I could make 5-6 a year instead of 3-4. But I do care. Because to me the work is valuable. But then again I have the luxury of having a full time job. As do you Robbie. I don't think rainman does. I'm not sure rainman gets commissioned to sculpt for other companies anymore. Denny hasn't used him. And to my knowledge there aren't any plans to use him

I hear you and agree. I would say that everyone including everyone mentioned that there is a point where the maker decides its good enough. At the end of the day, these things are items to be sold and so they need to be "done." My point I guess is we all have limitations. I feel that Rainman has his. Are they skill or time? Probably both, but I feel like most of his threads deteriorate to "he doesn't work hard enough." If people would write, "it's good but I wish it was fixed here...." Or "most of it looks good but the face just doesn't do it for me and if its not changed then Im going to pass." But what I read a lot of is "If he thinks he can charge that much and give us this little, then he's lost a buyer." I read a very different tone in the message. That is my point I guess. Either way, I'm not going to talk about this anymore. My purpose here is as irrelevant as anyone else's. I keep coming back in hopes to see more pictures. It just gets hard to read after awhile.

there is a half truth in what you say Robbie...do i think RM could have gone a different route before sending the headsculpt to the caster and start the production of the heads before actually showing the final headsculpt??...yes....specially when money is to be exchanged for that said product...having worked at a known comicbook company merchandising division...in NYC many years ago, one of the processes that was often scrutinized was the approval of whatever product was presented by sculptors and other vendors that were going to be sold to the public...this was an important step because it dictated what you (the consumer) would be buying... my mistake in all this was liking the process that RM uses and the one that would ultimately provide the consumer a better product in the end...

having realized that early with PF set...i started to wise up that i don't have to buy this....a trend would follow that if i don't buy then the creator (RM) gets an idea that me (as a consumer) am not happy with said product.....so here comes the problem that i state is THE problem....if an consumer is not happy.....he doesn't have to buy...if he doesn't buy that said product....then the company (RM) looks internally and makes the necessary changes they have to do to improve their overall product (whatever the problem may be)...and here is the fundemental part that you state we differ on...for whatever reason....you are looking from the point of view of the artist, so if someone asks/tells you to go back and try better, yes you feel offended and feel like you did your best...where as i look at it strictly from a business POV...and again thats my fault to likening to the process in which i used to work in with because it allows me to break down the process and see where this could have been avoided...but since this is only for a run of 30-60 figures/sets...i realize that i may have been too hard...but it doesn't change that I,me, myself think that RMs process for presenting something to the masses for 1000+ in funds, is flawed....going back to what Kara mentioned about RM inconsitencies....thats the other part where i think we differ on because if you can nail a likeness in other characters having the same input...why can't it be done in this or the opther last three offered sets....and i always go back to the part where he has already sent off the headsculpt into production, i can only imagine it cost him extra money to change up the Jules after having sent it to be cast and then showing that the heads where the ones that were not modified...maybe he understood that he may have taken a hit...i don't know....in the end...i practice what i say...because i believe in it....its not personal....its all business...i'm sure he is a great guy...but truth of the matter is... i don't know him but what i do know is that he is asking or trying to sell an item that he requested input in during the early stages for 1200-1500...in which i was prepared to buy...not anymore...but hey...i do wish him the best in this offering...truly i do:peace

This right here is the fundamental difference between you and me. I don't see a problem but just except that there are limitations in this hobby, whether from the craftsman or the medium itself. Nothing is perfect. If you show me something in this hobby that you feel is perfect, I will show you mistakes. Be it Silentsurfer, Elvis, Rainman, robbiethepainter, Trevor, or even Hot Toys and Enterbay. I determine whether or not I buy based on my want of a given item. But what I do not do, is infer some one is not giving it their all even if they are not. I can't know there intentions. I interpret your statement of being "part of the problem" as saying I promote mediocrity because I like something that others find inadequate. I think that is what some find offending. Once again, l don't know if that is what you are saying but to me that is how it sounds.

Rainman Artwork 2013 NYC Cabbie "God's Lonely Man"

there is a half truth in what you say Robbie...do i think RM could have gone a different route before sending the headsculpt to the caster and start the production of the heads before actually showing the final headsculpt??...yes....specially when money is to be exchanged for that said product...having worked at a known comicbook company merchandising division...in NYC many years ago, one of the processes that was often scrutinized was the approval of whatever product was presented by sculptors and other vendors that were going to be sold to the public...this was an important step because it dictated what you (the consumer) would be buying... my mistake in all this was liking the process that RM uses and the one that would ultimately provide the consumer a better product in the end...

having realized that early with PF set...i started to wise up that i don't have to buy this....a trend would follow that if i don't buy then the creator (RM) gets an idea that me (as a consumer) am not happy with said product.....so here comes the problem that i state is THE problem....if an consumer is not happy.....he doesn't have to buy...if he doesn't buy that said product....then the company (RM) looks internally and makes the necessary changes they have to do to improve their overall product (whatever the problem may be)...and here is the fundemental part that you state we differ on...for whatever reason....you are looking from the point of view of the artist, so if someone asks/tells you to go back and try better, yes you feel offended and feel like you did your best...where as i look at it strictly from a business POV...and again thats my fault to likening to the process in which i used to work in with because it allows me to break down the process and see where this could have been avoided...but since this is only for a run of 30-60 figures/sets...i realize that i may have been too hard...but it doesn't change that I,me, myself think that RMs process for presenting something to the masses for 1000+ in funds, is flawed....going back to what Kara mentioned about RM inconsitencies....thats the other part where i think we differ on because if you can nail a likeness in other characters having the same input...why can't it be done in this or the opther last three offered sets....and i always go back to the part where he has already sent off the headsculpt into production, i can only imagine it cost him extra money to change up the Jules after having sent it to be cast and then showing that the heads where the ones that were not modified...maybe he understood that he may have taken a hit...i don't know....in the end...i practice what i say...because i believe in it....its not personal....its all business...i'm sure he is a great guy...but truth of the matter is... i don't know him but what i do know is that he is asking or trying to sell an item that he requested input in during the early stages for 1200-1500...in which i was prepared to buy...not anymore...but hey...i do wish him the best in this offering...truly i do:peace

I think the reason rainman doesn't show his sculpt has more to do with fear of backlash. Deep Down, if I'm honest with myself, I know when something is "good" that level changes project to project. That's normal. And maybe the limitation isn't with effort as Robbie suggests. Maybe rainman doesn't show the pics because he can then say "oops. Too late. Already cast!" As his defense for his limitations in skill and or time.

But it doesn't smack me as a move made with confidence.

maybe, Wake...but at this point it would strictly be speculation...which is not part of the equation i speak of....speculation is just a by product of not seeing change happen over and over again...i mean...it can totally point to it but unless there is confirmation....its irrelevant...and usually leads into what usually happens in a RM thread...lol

Lee will be receiving the weapons tomorrow and will be taking final photos this weekend.

The order will likely open on Monday/Tuesday next week. :duff

Lee will be receiving the weapons tomorrow and will be taking final photos this weekend.

I'm guessing that'll be the VIP ordering date? I forgot... How long after VIP sales does it take for open season?

Rainman doesnt strive for perfection? Here we again! Whats perfect in his eyes might not be in yours.

You seem to know so much of his operation and home life. Please tell us more. And whats this have to do with your dioramas bro? You've mentioned them in almost every post you've made. :slap

Rainman Artwork 2013 NYC Cabbie "God's Lonely Man"

Rainman doesnt strive for perfection? Here we again! Whats perfect in his eyes might not be in yours.

You seem to know so much of his operation and home life. Please tell us more. And whats this have to do with your dioramas bro? You've mentioned them in almost every post you've made. :slap

Mike, if it were perfect would there even be a discussion?! This is the wisdom of the masses.

The Wisdom of Crowds: Why the Many Are Smarter Than the Few and How Collective Wisdom Shapes Business, Economies, Societies and Nations

If rainman had attained perfection on this or the PF guys I dont think we'd be even talking about this.

And I mention my dioramas because I want to illustrate that I too know what's it like to craft something with my own hands. So it IS relevant to my points. Aside from that I've been in the creative fields for a 15 year career. I make television and film content and although its not sculpting it's subject to the same objective and subjective opinions that all art is. My knowledge of rainman is inference. But inference based on 15 years of professional experience in artistic fields and many more years of amateur art making before that.

an lastly why are offended that I'm expressing my opinion?! That's what this forum is for. The defensive nature of your post flies in the face of the very point your are trying to make: that everyone is entitled to see it their way.

This thread is such a mess :lol

Excellent :yess:

Back