Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Asmus,

I'm a devoted Baldur's Gate fan from way back. (Hard to believe the game has been around for over 20 years now). The Forgotten Realms is my second most favorite fantasy universe after Tolkein's. And a close second, at that. I love it almost as dearly as Middle-Earth.

I would think that there are a lot of millenials... and older D&D nerds like me... that still have a tremendous nostalgia for this game. Who knows, maybe the license can be acquired for relatively cheap. (Beamdog, Overhaul, Atari, Hasbro... whichever company has the rights.) If so, maybe test the water with the canon BG1 NPCs from the novelizations, i.e., Minsc (and of course Boo!), Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, and Dynaheir.

IMG_0094.jpgIMG_0095.jpgIMG_0096.jpgIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0098.jpg

Although, granted, NPCs such as Xzar, Edwin, Viconia (from BG2), Kivan, et al., may end up being most in demand. I would imagine that the most expensive figures would be the Big Bads, i.e., Sarevok from BG1, Irenicus from BG2, and Melissan from Throne of Bhaal.

sarevok.jpgirenicus.jpgMelissan.jpg

There was never an official portrait for Gorion, but there is original concept art for him. Gorion would be must-have eventually for collectors of this franchise.

Gorion.jpg

Anyway, there's a lot of NPCs for original BG1, BG2, Throne of Bhaal and the Enhanced Editions. That's a ton of figures to collect. Potentially anyway, if it turned out to be a popular line.

And here's the kicker: In time, offer options for customers to custom design their own PCs.

Maybe also in time various monsters...

Hey if you’re gonna dream, might as well dream big. :D

It's a pipe dream, I'm sure. If you make 1500 of at least some of the BG characters, as long as there are at least 1500 avid 1/6 collectors that are also big fans of the game then it would be viable. I have no idea whether that would be the case.

I thought the focus for upcoming figures was The Two Towers so I was all prepped for Theoden, Haldir, Armoured and Berserker Uruk Hai and maybe even some Helms Deep armour kits for Aragorn and Legolas but I’m still happy with Galadriel and Elrond and will be all over the POs on day one. Prologue Elrond is obviously the preference but a Rivendell council outfit would be acceptable- just a lot more boring and would really need a chair for display.

I thought the focus for upcoming figures was The Two Towers so I was all prepped for Theoden, Haldir, Armoured and Berserker Uruk Hai and maybe even some Helms Deep armour kits for Aragorn and Legolas but I’m still happy with Galadriel and Elrond and will be all over the POs on day one. Prologue Elrond is obviously the preference but a Rivendell council outfit would be acceptable- just a lot more boring and would really need a chair for display.

**** yeah! The chair!!!! Perfect diorama base!!
Mr Asmus, I really hope you are reading this...!!
m.

Pleather on your unit not crumbling to dust?
m.

Yes. I bought this version on ebay, and it was a bit too much weathered I think. Also the plether has been hurt by the handle of the sword, next to the scabbard. But I've got everything I need to redo it by myself, and eventually rehair him. I've been blown away by Cman's work on Bilbo and I'm learning how to rehair my figs. I will work back on every fig I get and try to make them reach the next level, and also work on some different exposition. I will show if I succeed.
:)

Yes. I bought this version on ebay, and it was a bit too much weathered I think. Also the plether has been hurt by the handle of the sword, next to the scabbard. But I've got everything I need to redo it by myself, and eventually rehair him. I've been blown away by Cman's work on Bilbo and I'm learning how to rehair my figs. I will work back on every fig I get and try to make them reach the next level, and also work on some different exposition. I will show if I succeed.
:)

Wow! That is admirable!
Any guide to rooting hair that you might want to point out to us? I am not ready to undertake such a difficult craft, but I certainly would like to start doing the needed readings and start scheming away.
Have you tested your skill with a lesser headsculpt first? Results were good? Was it difficult getting started on that track?

I am also sorry to hear that the Faramir plague has hit you too, even if you are ready to overcome that problem with your skills. What kind of stuff are you intending to use to compose that very complex pleather vest? Where have you sourced it from? eBay?

Thanks,
m.

Mr. Asmus,

I'm a devoted Baldur's Gate fan from way back. (Hard to believe the game has been around for over 20 years now). The Forgotten Realms is my second most favorite fantasy universe after Tolkein's. And a close second, at that. I love it almost as dearly as Middle-Earth.

I would think that there are a lot of millenials... and older D&D nerds like me... that still have a tremendous nostalgia for this game. Who knows, maybe the license can be acquired for relatively cheap. (Beamdog, Overhaul, Atari, Hasbro... whichever company has the rights.) If so, maybe test the water with the canon BG1 NPCs from the novelizations, i.e., Minsc (and of course Boo!), Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, and Dynaheir.

View attachment 447716View attachment 447717View attachment 447718View attachment 447719View attachment 447720

Although, granted, NPCs such as Xzar, Edwin, Viconia (from BG2), Kivan, et al., may end up being most in demand. I would imagine that the most expensive figures would be the Big Bads, i.e., Sarevok from BG1, Irenicus from BG2, and Melissan from Throne of Bhaal. There was never an official portrait for Gorion, but there is original concept art for him. Gorion would be must-have eventually for collectors of this franchise. Anyway, there's a lot of NPCs for original BG1, BG2, Throne of Bhaal and the Enhanced Editions. That's a ton of figures to collect. Potentially anyway, if it turned out to be a popular line.

And here's the kicker: In time, offer options for customers to custom design their own PCs.

Maybe also in time various monsters...

Hey if you’re gonna dream, might as well dream big. :D

It's a pipe dream, I'm sure. If you make 1500 of at least some of the BG characters, as long as there are at least 1500 avid 1/6 collectors that are also big fans of the game then it would be viable. I have no idea whether that would be the case.

Sarevok I would buy at (almost) any price. :lol I think BG 1+2 together with LotR was my entrance to fantasy genre in the late 90' early 2000 years.

Sarevok I would buy at (almost) any price. :lol I think BG 1+2 together with LotR was my entrance to fantasy genre in the late 90' early 2000 years.

Not to derail the thread but I would also buy Sarevok (fully armoured BG1 look) as he his so iconic to the Baldur's Gate series.

Asmus I hope there will be updates on the following characters soon:
1. Faramir (ranger)
2. Smeagol / Gollum
3. Nazgul and steed re-release
4. Lurtz and Uruk-Hai
5. Haldir Lothlorien or Helm's Deep armoured looks

Not to derail the thread but I would also buy Sarevok (fully armoured BG1 look) as he his so iconic to the Baldur's Gate series.

Asmus I hope there will be updates on the following characters soon:
1. Faramir (ranger)
2. Smeagol / Gollum
3. Nazgul and steed re-release
4. Lurtz and Uruk-Hai
5. Haldir Lothlorien or Helm's Deep armoured looks

this looks like a good list

I would be happy just to get my Arwen that I pre-ordered on day-one and have not heard a word since... :monkey4

I finally got tired of waiting for an invoice on the remaining balance and placed a new order. It shipped and arrived Saturday. I was told my original deposit would be returned, but I won't hold my breath waiting.

I finally got tired of waiting for an invoice on the remaining balance and placed a new order. It shipped and arrived Saturday. I was told my original deposit would be returned, but I won't hold my breath waiting.

Not the point of your post I know sorry, but Arwen is in stock and shipping now? How long did it take from order to door and where are you? I'm trying to decide where to get mine from! Thanks!

I placed my (second) order on 2-27-19 and received it on 3-16-19. I live on the east coast of the USA, and I chose the free shipping.

Come on Mr Asmus!
Don't get all cryptic on us! Could you please at least tell us when the new Riingwraith+steed and Faramir are going to happen?
;-)
m.

Yes, we are making brand ew Ringwarith, form top to bottom, man to horse, all new.
so it will take a while.

So far no plan for Faramir in 2019, but he is a certain yes in the days to come

Yes, we are making brand ew Ringwarith, form top to bottom, man to horse, all new.
so it will take a while.

WOW! Your original Nazgul on steed is one of my all-time favorite displays set-ups. Going to be tough to top that for me, but I look forward to it.

After all, there are NINE of them... and I only have the WitchKing and Khamul right now.

Back