QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then you should know by now about HT's puzzling tradition of giving paw... I mean... too big hands, to their figs.
Don't you?

I "giant" that in actuality is but a small bunch of kids. I recently saw a group pic of the whole HT team (includind CEO Howard, but not counting the factory workers), and they were but a bunch of kids. Hiring kids is best. Everybody knows it. Kids work their asses off to compensate for their lack of knowledge/skills and accept low wages while doing so (because they are going to conquer the world, you know).

We learn a lot about the realities of 1/6 manufacture thanks to that. I for one say "bring it on" Nanjin! Just keep educating us.
I am wondering now, what that Newson International thingy actually is. I can't find it with Google... Are they some plastic injection powerhouse...? Or some especialized toy manufacturer...?
RfC
Thanks,
m.

"Lack of skill..." Like the Beatles who were kids when they started...or Michael Jordan at the beginning...? Or a Martin Scorsese or Steven Spielberg fresh out of film school making cinematic. Masterpieces...yep...young people have absolutely no talent or skill and have to work hard to compensate...until they get...old...and skillful...okey dokey then...

Here are my last production at QMx.

With less than 1/2 the support I once had in 2016, and all these problems that i faced, my in-house production still able to deliver.

These figures were done by mostly handicaps whom never touched a paint brush or a needle before.

Note the natural hang of the arms. 40/60 weight distribution do works. Free standing is a lot easier.

Paintjob is unbelievable well done even for experience painters (imagine their skills after 5000 heads)

2nd round Kirk and Spock are almost perfect.
9c983c3e62c1a9abe12eab3074201f3e.jpg
287771c76d9e62a335a1f45759119134.jpg
676a02cfc3890156fad927b210200801.jpg
946fd3479d20cda01a4e2c64044ad367.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Looks great!

Looks like Spock's been working on his six pack since the first release. Or else his shirt's too tight.

Aside from the smaller badges and embroidered cuff ranks I'm inclined to stick with the originals.

When I was futzing Scotty the shirt seemed too tight and too short, whereas the shirts on Kirk, Spock and McCoy (especially after changing McCoy's body) were a little looser and more natural looking, rather than being clingy.

"Lack of skill..." Like the Beatles who were kids when they started...or Michael Jordan at the beginning...? Or a Martin Scorsese or Steven Spielberg fresh out of film school making cinematic. Masterpieces...yep...young people have absolutely no talent or skill and have to work hard to compensate...until they get...old...and skillful...okey dokey then...

The majority of young people myself included back in the day weren't a Scorsese or a john Lennon and companies hired us because we were green and just out of college and they could pay us less than someone coming in with a specific or polished skill set. That's not an outlandish premise. Additionally even Scorsese and Lennon went through an apprenticeships where they actually learned their craft through low paying jobs ( touring Germany, working for roger corman)well before they were making masterpieces

Looks like Spock's been working on his six pack since the first release. Or else his shirt's too tight.

Aside from the smaller badges and embroidered cuff ranks I'm inclined to stick with the originals.

When I was futzing Scotty the shirt seemed too tight and too short, whereas the shirts on Kirk, Spock and McCoy (especially after changing McCoy's body) were a little looser and more natural looking, rather than being clingy.

Yeah I think if I were to design a generic body for Trek figures, I would skip the abs entirely and make the torso a lot smoother. And if I were to get one of these reissues I'd feel the need to sand it down immediately.

How can special bodies be made without fixing this glaring issue?

You’d think the 2.0’s wouldn’t have six packs.

Unfortunately not for me, looks out of proportion, I prefer the originals, I can put up with the arm limitations. These are just too, as I've said before, Thunderburdesque.

How can special bodies be made without fixing this glaring issue?

You’d think the 2.0’s wouldn’t have six packs.

Unfortunately not for me, looks out of proportion, I prefer the originals, I can put up with the arm limitations. These are just too, as I've said before, Thunderburdesque.

Agree with all of these comments. First versions look better.

Yeah I think if I were to design a generic body for Trek figures, I would skip the abs entirely and make the torso a lot smoother. And if I were to get one of these reissues I'd feel the need to sand it down immediately.

It's the tightness of the new shirts that put me off most. I like the looser fit of the originals, which also masks the overly sculpted portions of the torso. I prefer the way they hang and crease, as opposed to the new lycra-like clinginess that smooths out any wrinkles.

Sulu and Chekov will presumably be the same, and it feels like a step backwards. A double whammy for Sulu after that bait and switch smirking sculpt.

I love the updated figures. Hoping that I'll be able to get a set. Will they just be a standard figure without the exclusive items ? The colour of Spock's skin brings the likeness out more. :)

I love the updated figures. Hoping that I'll be able to get a set. Will they just be a standard figure without the exclusive items ? The colour of Spock's skin brings the likeness out more. :)
Only one version, no exclusive.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

So, QMx are using a new body, which needs a new uniform that so far doesn't look as good a cut as V1, just so Spock can clasp his hands behind his back?

:slap

All my figures are facing forwards in my cabinets, so hands able to clasp behind Spock's back makes no difference because you can't see them anyway, even when I put him in that iconic pose.

What a bizarre choice.

So, QMx are using a new body, which needs a new uniform that so far doesn't look as good a cut as V1, just so Spock can clasp his hands behind his back?

:slap

All my figures are facing forwards in my cabinets, so hands able to clasp behind Spock's back makes no difference because you can't see them anyway, even when I put him in that iconic pose.

What a bizarre choice.
They didnt make most of those choices. I made those choices to accomplish the objectives under production and development.

Whether the uniforms look nice or ugly depend on individual. Ask 1000 Trek fans about one thing they would give you 1000 different answers.

I think under equal circumstances. I myself would prefer these.

I understand there would be some frustration but this is natural phenomenon in figures...

Plus, I cant go back in time to produce the same figures, some resources are no longer available.

Btw, the chest insignias are 1mm too small. I veto'd them all.
518f71c713e45f1e8fa9321475178bc2.jpg
9952661dcfdecb2becf5f97ac1d4b0d6.jpg
21ce14a75e222309a95118941bd3a633.jpg

The shirts WERE tight in third season- agreed too buff but alittle shirt stretching could lessen the definition. I like the proportions and "weight distribution" they look more realistic in a standing pose. I don't get the nitpicks about the new shirts....

They didnt make most of those choices. I made those choices to accomplish the objectives under production and development.

Whether the uniforms look nice or ugly depend on individual. Ask 1000 Trek fans about one thing they would give you 1000 different answers.

I think under equal circumstances. I myself would prefer these.

I understand there would be some frustration but this is natural phenomenon in figures...

Plus, I cant go back in time to produce the same figures, some resources are no longer available.

Btw, the chest insignias are 1mm too small. I veto'd them all.
518f71c713e45f1e8fa9321475178bc2.jpg
9952661dcfdecb2becf5f97ac1d4b0d6.jpg
21ce14a75e222309a95118941bd3a633.jpg

These updated figures look very nice! I pre-ordered them both in spite of the fact I already own the original releases. I will keep all 4. Having a spare Kirk/Spock may come in handy. I plan to hire a professional 6th-scale tailor to make me a custom Season One green wrap tunic. I was always partial to that version. I will most-likely use one of the arrowhead insignias from one of my Kirk's to affix to the green wrap on lower-left of his tunic, or possibly just recreate it as a graphic in Adobe Illustrator -- with all the details -- and print it out in full color onto a gold luster cloth-like paper. Same goes for the shoulder ranking on his green wrap. Depends on how close I can match the QMx details. I will post images when completed (probably around March 2021).

The shirts WERE tight in third season- agreed too buff but alittle shirt stretching could lessen the definition. I like the proportions and "weight distribution" they look more realistic in a standing pose. I don't get the nitpicks about the new shirts....

Me neither ... But it works out as the complaints coming from those who already have the original releases saves them a repurchase I guess

Back