QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But why? Why can't they just make more of the same if the demand is there? Why would anyone be pissed?

I have Kirk, Spock & McCoy if they re-released them I wouldn't be annoyed at all, if it helped to created enough interest & revenue for QMX to make Scott, Sulu, Uhura & Chekov.

I have Kirk, Spock & McCoy if they re-released them I wouldn't be annoyed at all, if it helped to created enough interest & revenue for QMX to make Scott, Sulu, Uhura & Chekov.

It's a collector thing, I think. They numbered them, they're first edition, etc etc. I don't care either, really.

I honestly would *ONLY* have a problem if the new ones somehow looked better or were improved. Because then I feel like I'm behind if I don't get the new ones or I was shortchanged for supporting the line early. It's like the Toy Story 2 Buzz Lightyear "now with utility belt!" and you feel like you have to double dip to have a complete figure.

That's the problem Asmus dealt with when they re-released a bunch of their Lord of the Rings figures with improved headsculpts. I think they did it a pretty good way:

- the new releases had different accessories than the first ones.
- if you had the old ones, you could buy an expansion pack with the new headsculpts and accessories.

That way, people could buy the new ones, or the expansion pack, and there would still be unique pieces to that first release that made them keep their value. BUT they ran into a problem when the expansion pack headsculpts didn't have as good a paint job as the new complete releases, which angered some people.

Offer whatever is new with the rereleases as a accessory pack. That could help soften the blow.

TNG line is over- pretty much on the backburner-if Picard can't sell that sums it up. the staining issue to me was not the factor hurting sales.
There is a phenomenon in Trek merchandising: Trek competes with Trek

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

I think that if they re-release Kirk and Spock, that'd be fine. Whatever gets the ball rolling at a more acceptable pace. I'm not getting any younger as it is.

Well, with Kirk and Spock selling for $400 on fleebay, QMx is leaving money on the table if they don’t re-release.

We recommended to Dave to release with parts of the bridge. Then they could sell the Bridge parts separately. You could keep all the same accessories save the exclusive and still maintain what’s special about the first release.

:dunno

I still believe that selling hen ridges no setions is a great way to go. That way you can collect the entire bridge if you like, or only a portion.

If the demand is there and it will help drive sales, then do another run of Kirk and Spock. Though I do think it would be missing an opportunity to not do any proposed second TOS Kirk in the green wraparound instead, as you know lots of fans would happily double dip for that (and having two Kirks, a few more might buy the Captain's chair then, too). Hell, just make both of them Trouble with Tribbles based releases, that way you'd get Kirk in green, and regular Spock, pack in some tribbles with their regular accessories, and call it a day. A tribble top up bag might be a fun, and cheap, con/website exclusive, too, and would give early adopters a way of getting tribbles for themselves if they wanted them, without having to buy kirk and spock if they didn't wish to.

Just an idle thought, anyhow.

I'm waiting for Scotty to do another one of these:

Tribbles 3 600 x 557.jpg

If the demand is there and it will help drive sales, then do another run of Kirk and Spock. Though I do think it would be missing an opportunity to not do any proposed second TOS Kirk in the green wraparound instead, as you know lots of fans would happily double dip for that (and having two Kirks, a few more might buy the Captain's chair then, too). Hell, just make both of them Trouble with Tribbles based releases, that way you'd get Kirk in green, and regular Spock, pack in some tribbles with their regular accessories, and call it a day. A tribble top up bag might be a fun, and cheap, con/website exclusive, too, and would give early adopters a way of getting tribbles for themselves if they wanted them, without having to buy kirk and spock if they didn't wish to.

Just an idle thought, anyhow.

I will say - and I think Nanjin will back me up on this - that I have been hounding him for a green shirt Kirk for YEARS! LOL. For me, that's how I remember Captain Kirk.

I think we all agree, though, that Kirk and Spock need to be re-released. It's just a matter of how, and it can't just be a straight up re-release. That's not fair to people who bought before or who paid inflated eBay prices (even if QMx had nothing to do with that).

And Nanjin's words - Trek competes with Trek. That's an interesting thought. So when collectors look to buy a figure, they're comparing getting Picard to getting Spock or McCoy. For me, at least, TOS wins every time :)

Part of the reason original always wins is everybody who loves star trek at least LIKES original series even if next generation or DS9 is their favorite. However casual fans sometimes love Next Gen or whatever but don't like original. But then, those people would usually never buy a star trek doll lol. Thats kind of how it breaks down. No matter what level of trek fan you are chances are you(at bare minimum) are a fan of Kirk, Spock or both.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

We're all just armchair quarterbacking anyway. Ultimately QMX will do whatever it is that they will do, and we'll each react to whatever that happens to be as best suits our own personal collecting and spending preferences. And so it goes. :lol

I'm waiting for Scotty to do another one of these:

View attachment 420270
Good idea to use those little fluffy balls as Tribbles! I gotsta make a trip to Hobby Lobby soon.

For me, at least, TOS wins every time :)
I prefer Next Gen as a show, but in terms of figures, I agree. . .exception, of course, is that Garak > everyone else ever in Star Trek.

On a side note, I just recently realized that Garak is also the dad from Hellraiser whose face gets used as a skin mask for the uncle Frank!

Good idea to use those little fluffy balls as Tribbles! I gotsta make a trip to Hobby Lobby soon.

I prefer Next Gen as a show, but in terms of figures, I agree. . .exception, of course, is that Garak > everyone else ever in Star Trek.

On a side note, I just recently realized that Garak is also the dad from Hellraiser whose face gets used as a skin mask for the uncle Frank!

Also, he was the punk that didn't know if it was five, or six shots by Diry Harry and found out the hard way :lol

Want'ems list in order: TOS Scotty and Sulu --- TNG Data --- TWOK Kirk and Spock --- TOS Chekov --- TNG Riker --- TWOK Khan --- TNG Geordi --- TWOK McCoy --- TNG Worf --- TMP Kirk and Spock --- TOS green tunic Kirk (S1 and S2 versions) --- TOS Salt Vampire --- The Cage Pike --- The Cage Spock --- TOS Commodore Decker --- TOS Klingon --- TOS Romulan --- The Cage Talosian --- Discovery Saru --- my God, this list could go on literally forever. There are so many options out there I can't see and end to it. If QMx can step-up their releases it might be realized one day. Die-hard Trekkers will always want high-end figures like these. Nobody else comes close to making Star Trek figures better than QMx/Nanjin.

Life long Trek fans will always be out there to support QMx and just about anything they release for just about any of the lines. The trouble is general fandom. Trek has been on life support in terms of general fandom for so long now that QMx’s challenge is daunting. They have to inspire a nearly dormant fan base to spend money on a franchise that has been shuffled down to an afterthought by Hollywood producers.

Discovery (which is just a spectacular show) was Hollywood’s chance to really re-light the flame, but they were clearly unwilling to gamble on Trek’s rebirth with a general audience, so they made the terrible choice to market and produce the show to fans who were already so sold on Trek as to be willing to shell out subscription dollars on the re-boot. And while that might have been a necessary evil for the producers to be able to produce such an expensive show with no guarantee of ratings success (for all the reasons discussed above), still, a lost opportunity in my view. So even with all it’s promise, Discovery by itself might not be enough to re-ignite the Trek fire with new and old fans because it’s just not able to reach a critical mass of the fandom - as much as I hope this is not true.

Then there’s the undeniable reality that the current QMx releases are not selling nearly as robustly as they’d no doubt hoped. Several are still in stock at SS including Khan which was billed from the start as a limited release that was expected to sell out at QMx before it even made it to wider distribution.

So while we are all hoping so hard to be able to complete our various bridge crews and beyond, and pounding the table for the next release to be announced, we should probably pause and consider reality. QMx is running a business first and foremost (except for Nanjin whose heart and compassion is as true and large as any of ours!), they will have to be able to see real and enduring ROI before they are able to run much further with this ball.

So spread the word! Tell your friends and family. Let’s buy up all the current stock - as gifts, as figures to customize, just because! Everyone needs six Picards!

Back