Prometheus Sequel (ALIEN: Covenant)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With what I've read/heard I am still baffled as to WHY Ridley is making THIS part of the story NOW. This is tantamount to reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy by starting with Two Towers then reading Fellowship of the Ring.

If the #1 complaint against Prometheus was the WTF is really going on here, with no explanation. Covenant (from what I've read/heard) does not leave you any less baffled and puzzled than Prometheus did. Now I liked Prometheus but if Ridley/Fox are concerned about this being a 'hit' to further on the franchise, making a movie which pisses off your prime audience because you did a piss poor rendition of explaining it, that won't bode well for the future of this franchise Ridley seems obsessed with continuing.

With his **** block move for the Bloomkampt project, and now poised to piss off the fan base more with another ambiguous outing, maybe he's doing it intentionally. I think he truly believes this is HIS franchise....and will do with it what he pleases, screw the fans pretty much.

I expected as much.

But I dared to hope for something... better... Alas, in the end, twas...

giphy.gif

Does it even sound remotely interesting? Or is it just more Hullywuud crap?

If you like seeing Fassbender cucking everyone you'll find it enjoyable. In general, it's a slasher flick with some stupid retcons, even less answers than Prometheus, and none of the "Space Astronaut" stuff. It's just a rebooted Aliens with a more muddled lore. I've not seen it yet, but I've read all the spoils plus seen some leaked pics, and it's really what everybody thought it'd be.

If you like seeing Fassbender cucking everyone you'll find it enjoyable. In general, it's a slasher flick with some stupid retcons, even less answers than Prometheus, and none of the "Space Astronaut" stuff. It's just a rebooted Aliens with a more muddled lore. I've not seen it yet, but I've read all the spoils plus seen some leaked pics, and it's really what everybody thought it'd be.

Finally someone agrees! Where's crows now?

Ugh. Why couldn't it just be a small cast, direct sequel to Brometheus? While I didn't care for it entirely, it had some good points and the idea of the Engineers I thought was a great idea... but eh... we all expected it to be a Alien/Aliens clone when we started seeing a Xeno do the same **** we've seen a dozen times in the original series... plus the fact they got guns in this one just made me think of Aliens.

Ridley is a hack. I don't understand why he wants to milk this a cinematic universe. I understand he wanted the series to pursue this thirty years ago with Alien 2... and that's fine... but it should of been Dan O'Bannon writing it. Shame he isn't around... maybe we would of gotten something worthwhile with the last two duds.

Even though I never saw District 9, I definitely would of wanted to see Lumpkin do a proper Alien 5.

Ugh. Why couldn't it just be a small cast, direct sequel to Brometheus? While I didn't care for it entirely, it had some good points and the idea of the Engineers I thought was a great idea... but eh... we all expected it to be a Alien/Aliens clone when we started seeing a Xeno do the same **** we've seen a dozen times in the original series... plus the fact they got guns in this one just made me think of Aliens.

Ridley is a hack. I don't understand why he wants to milk this a cinematic universe. I understand he wanted the series to pursue this thirty years ago with Alien 2... and that's fine... but it should of been Dan O'Bannon writing it. Shame he isn't around... maybe we would of gotten something worthwhile with the last two duds.

Even though I never saw District 9, I definitely would of wanted to see Lumpkin do a proper Alien 5.

Yup, bad as Prometheus was, it had interesting ideas. Covenant is Aliens, with all of Prometheus' problems.

Yup, bad as Prometheus was, it had interesting ideas. Covenant is Aliens, with all of Prometheus' problems.

That's unfortunate. The prologue clip really got me interested in it... but if this is what it amounts to, I'm not bothering with a theater trip like I was planning.

Spoilers can read like crap. I want a well told story and even if the spoilers are true, if they are told well it could be a decent movie. I guess I just don't hate the changes as much as everyone else does. I would like to see some explanation for the Engineers, but they are planning more movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the more I hear the more I believe it's all just because some execs and Ridley think that more xeno more xeno more xeno on the screen is the answer...While some plot/story points are intriguing to me (ahem Shaw...) I really have to just ultimately take it for what it probably is, a remake!

Spoiler Spoiler:

Wait, what happens to walter?

Spoiler Spoiler:
Wait, those spoilers don't sound bad. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I have my expectations in check, but I can't tell just from those spoilers.

And David and Shaw, called it!

Wait, what happens to walter?
Isn't it obvious?

This 3D video turned up in my inbox from 20th Century Fox, I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but I thought it was pretty cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKw1_l3htvA&feature=youtu.be

I think this is the Neomorph.
I never knew Youtube does virtual 3D videos.
I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I'm going to stay well away from this thread now.

Last edited:
It's out tomorrow in the UK and I gotta work!! Damnit!! [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Spoilers can read like crap. I want a well told story and even if the spoilers are true, if they are told well it could be a decent movie.

This. If I had read the plot for Prometheus before seeing it, I'd have thought it was dumb as hell. Yet the actual film, despite its glaring script issues, was still a fun watch in the theater. It's an interesting movie which has some great design work, sparked lots of theory and speculation on release, and made me want to buy toys. That's about all I can expect from these things at this point. I mean, I love Alien 3 and it's been **** on more times than I can count. Predator 2 and Predators were fun. Even AVP was okay.

As long as Covenant is at least decent, I'll be happy. Because on top of a decent film, we'll get Ridley's iconic atmospherics and style, some cool-ass art direction, and that sweet Alien/Prometheus lore that I've come to enjoy (however ambiguous it may be). Together, those elements ought to make it a worthwhile flick for me.

While I am admitting to being a fanboy with this post, I will say that AVP Requiem is a steaming pile of naive, incompetent garbage -- and not just due to its lack of light. Lest people think I've no standards at all. :lol

Last edited:
I don't remember what I thought when I read the synopsis for Prometheus, but now that I know its general plot and that the movie was mediocre; I doubt I would've thought Prometheus sounded dumb at concept level, I probably would've thought it sounded better than Aliens and everything that came after.

It's just that those spoilers by themselves aren't very descriptive of quality, some can be, but not those imo.

Back