Premium Format Display Cases/Cabinets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good! Can you fit three PF height wise into the Billy? I know you can adjust the horizontal shelves

It depends on the bases and pose of the statue. I plan to put the variant Poison Ivy next to the other one and the Baroness, and all three of those will fit with no problem. So conceivably, you can put six PFs, 3 on the bottom and 3 on the middle row, and still have room for a shelf above them for some smaller statues.

That snowtrooper base is actually a bit large for the shelf, but you get an extra ½ inch of space with the doors, so it was able to fit. I went with Billy cases because of the doors so I can keep some of the dust off the statues. I wish they would make a full glass door for the Besta.

Found this while trawling through the Ikea website.

SYNAS LED lighting box - IKEA

Will probably pick one up for my desk to keep everything I have that's 3", 6" and 8" tall inside of - but does anyone know if you can get something similar that'd house a Hot Toys figure and base without costing the earth?

The only issue is that the middle glass shelf is only rated for around 26 lbs. Does anyone have any advice for increasing the max load? I could always have a thicker piece of glass cut to replace it. Would stacking another shelf on top of it add strength? Here is a picture of my setup:

May only add more weight to the pegs although I'd imagine the glass would be harder to break. I don't have any glass shelving but if it were me I would probably try to drill through the peg holes and run a metal rod all the way through... and then double up the glass or some 3/8 acrylic.

My shelving situation is... odd. I already had a utility shelving unit in my room when I started collecting. Its a sturdy metal shelving system from Home Depot. When I started putting figures on it I cut out mdf to lay over the metal mesh shelves. I'm actually gonna resize the shelves tomorrow to make room for more PFs. Its open, so I'm thinking of getting in touch with casesforcollectables to create a giant sized box for me to slide in it- hinged in front. I plan on enclosing shelves as I need them... it hurts my wallet a little less. I'm trying to get my stuff behind glass- its so hard to break away from spending money on neato collectables to spending money on the trivial things to put them in :lol

May only add more weight to the pegs although I'd imagine the glass would be harder to break. I don't have any glass shelving but if it were me I would probably try to drill through the peg holes and run a metal rod all the way through... and then double up the glass or some 3/8 acrylic.

My shelving situation is... odd. I already had a utility shelving unit in my room when I started collecting. Its a sturdy metal shelving system from Home Depot. When I started putting figures on it I cut out mdf to lay over the metal mesh shelves. I'm actually gonna resize the shelves tomorrow to make room for more PFs. Its open, so I'm thinking of getting in touch with casesforcollectables to create a giant sized box for me to slide in it- hinged in front. I plan on enclosing shelves as I need them... it hurts my wallet a little less. I'm trying to get my stuff behind glass- its so hard to break away from spending money on neato collectables to spending money on the trivial things to put them in :lol

I was in the same situation for a long time. You'll be glad you spent the $ on the display, even if you have to take a break from buying statues to fund it. It's really nice to have an enclosed home for your new statues.

:lecture preach it

got a real decent quote from CFC, but then the shipping was over $300 :thud:

Any good tips anywhere for making acrylic cases yourself?

:lecture preach it

got a real decent quote from CFC, but then the shipping was over $300 :thud:

Any good tips anywhere for making acrylic cases yourself?

Have you searched for a local acrylic shop? Search for custom fish tanks...might help. My panels were right around $100 a piece locally.

there's one glass works specialty place but they never got back with me. fish tanks sounds like a great idea, might have to look into it. I have a decent workshop, table saw, radial, etc- I'm thinking of maybe taking a shot at it myself. Got some weld on 3 cement, will look into ordering a big sheet of 1/4 acrylic when I get a chance- Home Depot selling 48"x96" for $176, I guess I'll be making a pretty big case lol

If you are going to be in the 1/4 statue collecting for the long haul, I would look in to the Ikea Pax solution instead of Bestas or Billy bookcases. Both of these run out fast and can't hold as much as a Pax system. There is a long thread on Pax if do a search. Good luck.

I've had all sorts of options over the years, but I finally decided to save up enough scratch for something decent. Sure they cost a bit (and at the expense of missing a few statues) but I think they look alright.

it's an early photo of my initial set-up, so ignore the fallen over Preds :)

Hi fishmilkshake ! Very nice display, indeed ! Is it custom made, or did you bought it somewhere ?
I would love to know, because this is exactly the kind of display I am looking for, even if it is kind of expensive. :)
Thank you in advance !

Hi fishmilkshake ! Very nice display, indeed ! Is it custom made, or did you bought it somewhere ?
I would love to know, because this is exactly the kind of display I am looking for, even if it is kind of expensive. :)
Thank you in advance !

Thanks for the kind words.

These cabinets are from a shopfitting store. The place you go when you're setting up a retail store. I've looked at a few places over the years and finally found these at https://www.metrodisplay.com.au

So I guess the downside for most of you is that I'm in Australia and these came from a place in Sydney. But you're bound to have something similar.

Pros
- Different sizes and colours available
- The corners have a rail system so you can position the shelf pegs anywhere!! This was the main selling point for me. The toughened glass will support all your heaviest statues.
- The front vertical posts where the door hinges are have top to bottom strip lights in them. That's why they're so bright. In addition there's two down lights in them too.
- Lights are turned on and off by a subtle switch in the bottom left corner at the front.
- They ship in kit form so you can have them sent anywhere.

Cons
- Cost. Because I got three, they were about US$700 each. But you get what you pay for.

Thank you for your answer ! :)
It helps, actually. Well, I am in France so of course I won't find the exact cabinets from the site you gave me, because I think the shipping cost might be as expensive as the cabinets itself, but at least I know where to look, and what I am trying to find.

Thank you again !
:D

Back