Premium Format Display Cases/Cabinets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just getting into the 1/4 scale statue game and am looking for a nice display option for the statues. I have the Superman Comic PF taking up the bottom two spaces on a detolf right now... doesn't look great. :lol

Some of the premium format figures won't even fit in a detolf. Is my only option a Besta from Ikea? Will Superman even fit in one of those? Looking to see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions for displaying these pieces.

Custom make them yourself, Bestas, or try Craigslist/eBay you never know what you can find on there(usually nothing though:lol)

I agree with making them yourself. Wood is easy to work with and cheap and you can custom make it to fit the size of statue you plan to put in it. Also, when you need more shelves you wont run into the issue of the shelf you used previously not being sold in stores anymore. Once you make the shelf, you can get some acrylic cut to make your own doors or covers for your shelf and then buy some nice lighting.

I agree with making them yourself. Wood is easy to work with and cheap and you can custom make it to fit the size of statue you plan to put in it. Also, when you need more shelves you wont run into the issue of the shelf you used previously not being sold in stores anymore. Once you make the shelf, you can get some acrylic cut to make your own doors or covers for your shelf and then buy some nice lighting.

Hey do you have some tips/walkthrus for making your own display cabinet? I'd like to do this but I'm not very handy but would like to start somewhere...thanks.. Some design drawings, measurements would help... Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the same problem myself. Have some detolfs which are fine for 1/6 but not for 1/4 scale. Trouble with Besta is they ain't all glass so they don't look as nice as the detolfs. Currently I have a 1/4 hot toys dark knight standing on top of a detolf. Keep debating whether to house him in one of these:

64416_646524952031030_1528931153_n__22835_zoom.jpg

They are master light display cases made by Legend Studios. And whilst they aren't cheap, the LED lights are rather nice. They also do a 1/6 scale version. I think we've only got 1/6 scale version in stock at the mo but can get 1/4 scale I think.

I reviewed a 1/6 scale one on YouTube here

Hope that's of some use!

Here are some pics of the ones I made, hopefully it will give you some ideas. I usually get my wood from lowes or home depot, its only about 3 - 5$ per plank and you cut down to size. They will even cut it for you if you give them your measurements. The large care you see cost me about 20$ in wood, then I went to a hobby store and bought some silky black cloth for about 5$ for a large piece of it. I cut cardboard the size/shape of each shelf and wrapped it in the silky cloth and pushed it in to the whole so its like a backboard and gives it a nice display kind of look and the light reflects off of it nicely, it kind of shimmers a bit. The rear of the entire large display is just a thin piece of wood to keep it all held together, basically a big square and I hammered it into the shelves with thin finishing nails. The shelf wood is the cheap kind of particle wood which is usually what shelves are made of, dont get deck wood or youll pay alot and it will be too heavy. I spray painted the entire display with a flat black high performance spray paint which ive used on many things and it works soooo well. It doesnt chip or scratch as easy as you would think. I put felt pads under the display so i can slide the entire display on my desk if i need to get around it for anything. I cut out the bottom portion to fit my monitor in too, so like I said, customize it to your liking :) Here is the big one:

Here is another I made a while ago. This one is very simple, 2 wall shelves, like the closet maid stuff at lowes/ homedepot or you can cut your own. Then I took acrylic panels and used L brackets to attach it all. I made the door on the front like a flap I can open by using a piano hinge which is about 10$ because the one I needed was so long. This display is about 4ft wide and 16" tall. I made a tier in the back to fit more figures in using some scrap wood blocks and covered it in the same shimmery fabric. Then I took a long piece of cardboard and wrapped it in the cloth and made a flat tier to lay on the wood blocks. I have this one mounted to the wall behind my theater chair :) I used regular shelf brackets to mount it on the bottom, and the same type upside down to hold the weight evenly on top. I screwed the brackets into studs so it can support alot of weight so no fear of it falling.

I didnt find any of this hard to make and it was actually kind of fun to see it all put together. Pre-made stuff is convenient but you can never fit things exactly how you want. Hopefully this helps with some ideas.

Those do look great. Nice job!

Thanks for all of the advice from everyone else. I may go to Ikea this weekend to see what I can find. I may end up going to Home Depot though as well to look for materials. The one thing that's a necessity to me is having the statues completely enclosed. Glass all the way around would be great, but glass on the front at a minimum. One, to cut down on dust and two, because cats. :lol

Yeah I just need to get glass cut for mine to enclose them like I did on my other case. I just hadn't gotten around to it. :rotfl

Those do look great. Nice job!

Thanks for all of the advice from everyone else. I may go to Ikea this weekend to see what I can find. I may end up going to Home Depot though as well to look for materials. The one thing that's a necessity to me is having the statues completely enclosed. Glass all the way around would be great, but glass on the front at a minimum. One, to cut down on dust and two, because cats. :lol

Whether you build or buy the shelves, you'll likely need custom cast acrylic panels (not glass). Find a local acrylic place to cut them and they won't be as expensive as having them shipped to you.

Thanks again for all of the advice. Ended up picking up a Stockholm glass cabinet from Ikea. Just one for now. Fits the bill almost perfectly. The only issue is that the middle glass shelf is only rated for around 26 lbs. Does anyone have any advice for increasing the max load? I could always have a thicker piece of glass cut to replace it. Would stacking another shelf on top of it add strength? Here is a picture of my setup:

IMG_0263.JPG

The transparent brick background makes Superman look even more wow... :clap

Perfect. Superman looks great in that case! I would imagine adding a second piece of glass would add to the weight capacity of the shelf...not 100% sure though.

Thanks again for all of the advice. Ended up picking up a Stockholm glass cabinet from Ikea. Just one for now. Fits the bill almost perfectly. The only issue is that the middle glass shelf is only rated for around 26 lbs. Does anyone have any advice for increasing the max load? I could always have a thicker piece of glass cut to replace it. Would stacking another shelf on top of it add strength? Here is a picture of my setup:

View attachment 154705

That's a nice case. Not familiar with that one. I tried a search and couldn't find that on the ikea site. Are you in the US?

Here is part of my collection, I am using Billy bookcases with Morliden doors then lighted them with LED strip lights. You might still need Bestas for some of the larger statues like the one I have on the right, but many of the Premium Format statues will fit in a Billy.

Here is part of my collection, I am using Billy bookcases with Morliden doors then lighted them with LED strip lights. You might still need Bestas for some of the larger statues like the one I have on the right, but many of the Premium Format statues will fit in a Billy.

Looks good! Can you fit three PF height wise into the Billy? I know you can adjust the horizontal shelves

Back