Statue Predator 2 City Hunter 1:4 Maquette.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EX #101 arrived and assembled.
PredatorA.jpg

Initial thoughts, I love it. Worth all 120,000 pennies and those that got it at the discount, well, after seeing this statue its kind of like you stole it at that price. I started having my doubts the closer the ship date got but I am overjoyed that I hung in there and got it. Everyone who ordered it and has yet to receive it has quite a surprise coming. Here are a few phone shots for size comparison.
42d89f18b3bbe9cf8c7006704220f64e.jpg
7dbdb2674c7fc55b8da481e9bf1488b3.jpg

One assembly note to everyone, the shoulder laser needs to go on before the head and it makes the head really tough to put on so take your time and go slowly.

I just saw this in person at a friend's house. He's pissed off that he didn't get the 20% discount but he was happy after seeing it assembled and displayed in his cabinet.

To me this is worth $1200 and I will try to get it for less for the regular. To me it looks better displayed without the disc.
The magnet is not too strong on the hand and disc as many have mentioned before.

The paint job to me is good. It's not better or worse than Wolf LSF. And I really like everything about it really.
Add quills and it will be perfect.

Btw, question to customizers here, how difficult would it be to add quills to the head? What would be the best material for it?
Thanks.

Ok sending him to the painter on Th or Fri, its not bad but it will be much better after I am done with it.
Will it reduce the price if I put quills on it and improve it? I hope not, but I dont care, Im happy for all you guys who got one.
Happy to have one good Pred in my collection, and I got to love it if Im going to keep it.

So undecided?

I really want to add quills, but can't see myself drilling into an expensive statue.

It's easy. Get a micro hand drill. They cost less than 30 dollars usually and comes with a wide variety of razor sharp bits that are as tiny as 1 mm. Then buy some porcupine quills on-line. You can do this on Ebay as well. Paint the quills black or buy them black.

Decide how big you want the quills to be. then look at the base of the quill and figure out how big your drill bit needs to be. Start with a smaller drill bit than you think as you can always enlarge.

Drill the holes to a few millimeters depth and then use some Loctite Crazy glue gel. Squeeze a dollop on a piece of paper or postcard and gently touch the quill base to it and put in hole.

It takes some planning in terms of where you want the quills and making sure you have appropriate symmetry but it is quite easy. The rest is just boring, monotonous work getting the angle, depth, correct and the same each time.

I've done this because a few painted kits came with broken quills and I needed to replace them.

Porcupine quills are perfect because honestly that's probably what they had in mind when they designed the original P1 and P2.

There are flexible ones and rock hard ones. The hard ones definitely look more spikey but they snap off more easily. Joe used to use the hard quills but switched to the flexible ones because they just travel a lot better and still look great.

Since you are presumably not going to be selling this any time soon, this is not as big a consideration but understand if you put hard quills in there is zero chance you are going to be able to replace the head in the styrofoam and ship it without most of them snapping off. Not so with the flexible quills . . .

I'd do this myself but will have the entire head repainted eventually anyway and so I can have Joe put in the quills at that time as part of the repaint.

For those wanting to repaint the entire statue, I'm not entirely sure if its worth it personally. The base is bland to begin, I could care less about the skeleton overspray, no one is going to look at the base. The netting will have to be dealt with if you want to do a full body repaint and that is a major pain. The main eye catcher is the unmasked head and if that looks awesome, the rest of the body in my opinion will be fine.

You'll see when you have the piece in hand . . . you don't really want to mess with the netting if you don't have to. It will add quite a bit of labor to whatever paintmaster needs to be deal with it . . .

this statue is awesome. one of the best i have ever seen in person. well worth the money. quills or no quill, discount or no discount i am very happy with this. if you are a predator fan and if you can afford this right now. you must buy this. here is a quick unboxing video with close ups and a nice size comparison at the end. i used Jason Premium format to compare and they look really cool together check it out if you're on the fence about it

https://youtu.be/EH***45MpCg

Seeing more and more pics on here and facebook... This thing is a winner. It just keeps looking better.. If I had an extra 1200.00 laying around I would get the reg without question.

Seeing more and more pics on here and facebook... This thing is a winner. It just keeps looking better.. If I had an extra 1200.00 laying around I would get the reg without question.

I think if people still want this, they should join the waitlist and the chance of converting is pretty high at this time. I would not settle for regular especially knowing some got deep discount with the EX. Regular will be available for a long time and pretty sure it will be eligible for discount in the future.

Got mine today. No pics unfortunately...rainy weather and bad lighting indoors. Basically, everything about this looks much much better in hand. It's a very big piece. Base has a nice heft to it, as does the actual figure. Magnets on the hands and disc could be stronger but also could be much weaker. I think I prefer the reg, discless hand actually.

Obviously all the flaws are still there, but seeing this stand tall among all my other pieces is very cool. Will give this one some time to simmer before deciding to keep or not. If I do keep it, I'm definitely adding some quills to it.

All readers (especially those that are waiting on delivery) will be happy to know you feel it looks better in-hand. Whatever you decide going forward, at least you are no longer reliant on other peoples photos/videos regarding the purchase.

As we both said before - the quills are the EASIEST fix out of all the things that could have been addressed by Sideshow - well - that and the base. The spear/hand and ESPECIALLY the dreds/bio will be the toughest.

Catching up on 2 days posts - nice to see most everybody is back to their usual friendly approach :clap

Everyone who got this seem very pleased with him. Nice work SS

That really is not saying much. Those who ordered(at full price) had to have lowerd expectations to begin with. That said, the discount does give a good head start for fixing some of the problems.

this piece is fantastic in person. blown away. sure, could it be improved? yes. but i'm quite happy with the in person result. think its going to pair nicely with the big chap maq.

curious about your custom paint work on your piece averone. getting quills done as well?

Congrats to all. Looks great! I always thought it did. I would only notice the inaccuracies if I study them closely. Otherwise, they are not noticeable IMO. And I'm somewhere between a casual pred fan to a hardcore pred fan. After looking at the paint on the brow more closely I saw the differences between screen used and paint app for this and while it's off I can deal with it. I don't want to look any further as far as the helmet, head shape, quills, head shape and any others because when I look at this I see the predator from Predator 2 anyway. It not like you look at this and say what's that? Only people who haven't seen the movie would ask that as it's still very recognizable.

Just curious where I stand on the waitlist. I placed my order on 17th at 7:20 am pt (15:20:04).

Congrats again to all. And luckily haven't heard of any damages so far. Perhaps QC is getting better in that respect.

Just finished watching Roscoe's review. When he was talking about the lack in size of the spear it it made me think also it would have been cool if Sideshow would have made the spear articulated so you can adjust it between collapsed or extended in the hand. I think they could have easily executed that too given the size and price of this piece. Just need a bit more creativity in that department.

Just finished watching Roscoe's review. When he was talking about the lack in size of the spear it it made me think also it would have been cool if Sideshow would have made the spear articulated so you can adjust it between collapsed or extended in the hand. I think they could have easily executed that too given the size and price of this piece. Just need a bit more creativity in that department.

It is already fully extended, it's just too small. I don't think the engineering is up to the task of making a P2 spear fully collapsible at this scale without it looking flimsy and cheap at least. I'd have preferred an empty left hand so that the EX disc would be usable in conjunction with the masked head personally.

If there were great experts out there who can create the 2 heads to fit this statue, I would pay someone to make a masked and unmasked head, hell why not combine both? one thing this piece will always bug me is the 2 head pieces

Actually this did originally have just that set up, the bio was magnetised and slotted onto the unmasked head. I liked the idea but it was altered to the COH option instead, likely due to fears about paint scratching over time which is understandable. Although a sufficient lining probably would have prevented that.

I should stop entering this thread. All the pics are really making me jealous. I couldn't afford this even at discount, due to our crappy conversion rate (worked out to over 1500 Aus dollars, not including tax). Lost my NRD as well, because I couldn't contact sideshow to move it to another order and they still haven't responded to my email. I'm so pissed off.

Hoping the reg will be available for a while. Might get it down the road when I can afford it.

I had to share this scene, one thing with predator 2, DAMN the score in this movie is fantastic, the soundtrack dem bones is a sound track I could hear over and over. Got to give the movie team for coming up with such great music in predator 2. But seeing him unmasked, the head on the statue does not quiet scream its coming out of the film, which is why I really want the unmasked head given an overhaul, if I can find someone who can do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHwiXFc9MOw

Back