POSSIBLE SPOILERS: What is Marvel doing with mutants?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt but check out this tidbit:

Brian Michael Bendis said:
So that’s it. I’d like you to open this article by saying the reason I’m leaving the X-Men is Marvel is killing them all, or turning them all into Inhumans, and either I got on board with the program or I was out! So I’m out! Because I WILL NOT ALLOW THE TRAVESTY OF WHAT’S GOING TO HAPPEN TO THE X-MEN DURING “SECRET WARS,” where you find out they were all Magneto’s children the whole time and that Magneto was the first Inhuman! I didn’t want to be part of all it. So I’m excusing myself.

Now Bendis has been known to screw with people and give them red herrings but given that Marvel and Fox haven't exactly been getting along, is this a possibility to move around this?

What think you all?

Article: Brian Bendis leaves X-Men Books after Uncanny #600

Is he leaving Marvel completely? Because I can't imagine them being amused at him dropping one of what will no doubt be the biggest spoilers of the new Secret Wars if indeed it is true.

Is he leaving Marvel completely? Because I can't imagine them being amused at him dropping one of what will no doubt be the biggest spoilers of the new Secret Wars if indeed it is true.

No he's not leaving Marvel, in fact he just resigned another exclusive deal with them.

It would seem dumb to make all mutants the "children of Magneto" with him being the first Inhuman as a way of sticking it to Fox. They own Magneto! Why make him the father of all your mutant/Inhuman characters? They should have gone with Namor instead. Assuming there's a lick of truth to any of this of course.

I think this whole thing is pretty ****ing stupid if it turns out to be true. Why ruin the history of some of your most famous and recognizable (and beloved) characters? Just to stick it to a movie studio who purchased the film rights way back when?

The X-men are some of the greatest comic book characters ever. Disney/Marvel still owns their rights other than movies/tv so why isn't that enough to let them be?

Would making them Inhumans (as opposed to mutants) allow Marvel to then use the characters in their movies (like Quick Silver/Scarlett Witch)? If so it would be brilliant. I stopped reading comics ages ago, so the change there wouldn't bug me, but would love to see the X-Men in Marvel's cinematic universe. No doubt the income generated by the movies would blow away comic revenue, so it would be worth alienating comic readers, if it means they can shoehorn these characters back in. If this has nothing to do with that, then I'd agree it seems like a dumb story.

Meh...Mutants, Inhumans I don't care.

As a long time X-Men fan the label doesn't make a difference to me. It doesn't change the characters personalities or their characteristics.

Actually:

Brian Michael Bendis: "And it wasn't just that they made Magneto the father of all Inhumans, they went ahead and changed everyone's personalities and characteristics too. It was just too much so I had to walk."

Would making them Inhumans (as opposed to mutants) allow Marvel to then use the characters in their movies (like Quick Silver/Scarlett Witch)? If so it would be brilliant. I stopped reading comics ages ago, so the change there wouldn't bug me, but would love to see the X-Men in Marvel's cinematic universe. No doubt the income generated by the movies would blow away comic revenue, so it would be worth alienating comic readers, if it means they can shoehorn these characters back in. If this has nothing to do with that, then I'd agree it seems like a dumb story.

I'd be an interesting court question..maybe Marvel wants to force FOX's hand in court someday

What a ****** company.

They sign deals that make them money, gets them out of bankruptcy and establishes the movie market with their brand, and they turn around and try and **** em.

Seriously, what a unethical company. I hope Antman starts their downfall.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I was just joking right? I just took your quote and twisted it to make it seem like Bendis was saying it. ;)

Dammit, Khev! Stop taking advantage of my senility!
shakefist.gif
:lol

:lol :lol :lol

I really wonder what Marvel's angle with this is. Are they thinking they've got a loophole in that that can't make a movie about Wolverine the mutant X-Man but if they have a DIFFERENT guy named Wolverine (who just happens to have the same history as the first) but is actually "Wolverine the enhanced Inhuman" then technically they can put him and all of his teammates in their movies?

Scarlett Witch and QS aren't "mutants" and get to appear in the MCU so they're just doing that with all the X-Men now? I can't say I'm opposed to this if it then just allows both studios to freely use the "same" characters, especially if they wear costumes in one universe and biker leathers in the other.

I'm not opposed to it either.

I know it annoys and angers a lot of fans but what's the big deal? These character's individual & collective histories have been revised numerous times to suit various story lines ever since their inception.

Would making them Inhumans (as opposed to mutants) allow Marvel to then use the characters in their movies (like Quick Silver/Scarlett Witch)?

If they changed them to Inhumans, they'd need to change their names as well as a few other things.

So Marvel can't use the Mutant known as Logan/Wolverine from Canada who fought on the X-Men, etc. If they changed his name to James and his codename to Berzerker for example and retconned him from New York then they could because legally it isn't the same thing. What Fox owns is still intact and Marvel essentially took an established character and made a new one.

I doubt that is the play here, although with the whole "Secret Wars" thing, the thought is they are pulling together various realities and pushing them together meaning that Wolverine who is dead might be no more but "Berzerker" from reality 654 or something fills that role and could in theory be used.

Back