Playstation 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
/yawn

we should be playing in virtual reality by now. Instead what do we get after 6 years?

1) some hardware upgrade on par to a pc
2) game streaming gimmick
3) failed ps3 move with no games to support it and no improvement to the hardware
4) a couple average at best titles revealed.

ps4 is barely evolutionary. People bought ps3 because of the bluray at the time, ps4 looks as boring as it gets.

So we can put you down for a day one buy?

/yawn

we should be playing in virtual reality by now. Instead what do we get after 6 years?

1) some hardware upgrade on par to a pc
2) game streaming gimmick
3) failed ps3 move with no games to support it and no improvement to the hardware
4) a couple average at best titles revealed.

ps4 is barely evolutionary. People bought ps3 because of the bluray at the time, ps4 looks as boring as it gets.

3. They did improve the hardware with the new Eye peripheral. Previous Killzone games used Move so the new one probably will as well.

/yawn

VR is actually slowly becoming a big thing in gaming. Last I read, big companies were developing their own VR headsets. Sony was tinkering with their own line of film-based headsets for gaming. It's all a matter of time and reception, I suppose. I just don't think most people are willing yet. Baby steps.

One company, Occulus Rift, has been making an impression last year.

[ame]https://youtu.be/KJo12Hz_BVI[/ame]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LCB19lzAXS8#t=1147s

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2rL-lBxRs[/ame]

Until we can get locked 60 fps and 4k res as a standard at the very least, VR isn't worth it right now. Once those are standard, then developers can focus on making games look as good as they possibly can. Maybe then VR would be something cool. Or not...I'm still hoping I can get my holodeck installed before I die.

Until we can get locked 60 fps and 4k res as a standard at the very least, VR isn't worth it right now. Once those are standard, then developers can focus on making games look as good as they possibly can. Maybe then VR would be something cool. Or not...I'm still hoping I can get my holodeck installed before I die.

Yeah. As intriguing as VR sounds now (and I do want to try one of these headsets), I don't think anyone is ready yet. This includes the market and developers of games. I feel that it's hardware people pushing stuff that not many people want, kinda like at-home 3D.

I understand that gagaliya was probably referring to holodeck simulation stuff, but he should remember that that doesn't happen until PS9. :)

I do agree with him in one sense though: I expected a bigger leap with this gen, similar to PS1 -> PS2, or even PS2 -> PS3. But we're still early days yet.

I was hoping for this to be the generation of VR Kate Upton in my living room.

Some day. :lol

That's the future of gaming right there. I can just picture like this set of goggles, controller, gun (if it's first person) and this pad you can walk on that would dictate where you move.

I was hoping for this to be the generation of VR Kate Upton in my living room.

Damn you Sony. :gah:

That day will come. Of course we won't be able to appreciate it when it does. It'll cost too much, have a crappy looking hologram doodad, be too heavy or too much of a pain to install. DLC will still be a rip off. Still hope I'm alive when it gets there though.

I think the PS4 needs to improve the overall online experience. They don't charge a fee and they are still getting killed by xbox live. Unless they can convert the console gamers glued to xbox live, they will keep losing the battle.

Yeah. As intriguing as VR sounds now (and I do want to try one of these headsets), I don't think anyone is ready yet. This includes the market and developers of games. I feel that it's hardware people pushing stuff that not many people want, kinda like at-home 3D.

I understand that gagaliya was probably referring to holodeck simulation stuff, but he should remember that that doesn't happen until PS9. :)

I do agree with him in one sense though: I expected a bigger leap with this gen, similar to PS1 -> PS2, or even PS2 -> PS3. But we're still early days yet.

It is early, yeah. Launch titles never do all that much to impress. These are betas or maybe even alphas of launch window or later games... We don't really know what we're looking at yet. As generations go by, it's going to get harder and harder to see an obvious difference in graphical quality, but we know it's there. There's still so much room to grow and based on the stats, this is as good a step forward as the PS3 was to the PS2 I think. Better really because it doesn't have an unnecessarily complicated Cell engine this time. I think this is going to be a return to form for Sony.

That CP was probably too costly and time consuming to program for.

The only folks who benefited from it were the Iranians and their Nuclear Program.

Sony is back on track with this beast.

i mean we should at least have some innovation after 6 years instead of just a spec bump and some software gimmick. For example the controller should be some sort of gloves you wear that gives you precise control of the game character as you move your hand. Or with a compatible tv/projection, allow for a virtual ui overlay on the game screen. However misguided wii u's implementation is trying to force a console player to use a handheld screen, at least they tried to do something...

when the ps move came out, it was actually quite revolutionary in that the hardware offered a level of precision not found in any other motion controller. But sony completely dropped ball by not making any game that takes full advantage of the hardware besides sports champion.

PS move is as good as dead now and that was the only innovation in the last 6 years. I dont see anything even remotely to get excited about in ps4.

In what is now the hyper competitive space, ps4 already feels like a dinosaur before it's even released. PS3's saving grace was it doubles as a bluray player at the time when bluray just became the standard & exciting, what will save PS4?

as i said /yawn

For example the controller should be some sort of gloves you wear that gives you precise control of the game character as you move your hand.

Because the Move and Kinect are so accurate. :lol Imagine playing it with gloves, the hands of your character would flop and twitch all over the place. :rotfl

A few nice looking tech demos, nothing really groundbreaking announced, but better hardware is really enough for me. :) Just gonna wait for some new games to be announced that really impress me, no reason for me to buy this until then. I'll be too busy with the new PS3 games coming out this year.

I'm completely happy they didn't try to come up with some new motion-control gimmick or anything else, I feel that's only good for party and dance games and maybe some shooters at this stage in the technology. And I dread the idea of having to play a game with anything other than a traditional controller, and I don't want any good games to be built around those types of controls. The Wii and Move were my limits, and I prefer motion controls to be optional if they must exist.

Last edited:
Hmm, any mention of games running natively on 1080p and 60fps? That should be a law for next gen.

Back