Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Franchise Merchandise Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Hot Toys Pirates of the Caribbean Thread

Or, i don't know how costly it would be, get a Sao Fang Sized body and swap out, might make enough of a difference. Makes you wonder too, will Cannibal Jack also be that tall.

I can't imagine how some people wouldn't notice you can't keep the same light setup. I usually find it painfully obvious it's not going to work because the image is horrid looking. I'll start each pose with pretty much the same source as the first image of the set, but I check it out whether it's good or not. Average, I take at least 3 times as many photos as I share, mostly because I have 3 copies for every one that's posted.

Most people don't understand photography, yo :)

Most people don't understand photography, yo :)

Well, it's understandable, it sure isn't easy when you start out, I felt like someone at the base of a huge mountain looking up before a climb thinking no way, and I'm sure that deters some people. I've been really interested though, so I took on the challenge and through small steps I've learned a lot and continue to grow. Helps to go from average point-and-shoot to high end point-and-shoot to SLR, each has slightly more to it than the previous, but average to SLR is a huge leap for a novice.

It's got a lot of learning curves though. We all suck at first, then you learn one trick and you get on a roll, then you learn something new...

I learned a lot when I switched to digital. I was less inhibited by what I was shooting and it made a difference. What people need to wrap their heads around is how important lighting and framing is. If people studied other shots a bit more, they'd learn what to do and what not to do.

All said, I'm amazed by how good some people are getting (watching their progression over the last two years) and its really because of online forums and SSC figures.

I remember back when no one shot stuff. It's much cooler now that so many collectors get involved.

Well, figures and collectibles, for the most part, are cheaper than hiring models to shoot, though there've been some pieces I own that cost more haha. The beauty is, the same principles you'd use for a human being apply to 1/6 sized versions of them so practice at both will help. And study is huge, I've probably looked at nearly 10,000 photos over the past 6 years or so since I've been getting serious about it, from pro-model shots to Star Wars promos and the likes. Over time, you do get a sense of where the light sources are coming from even without seeing them and figuring that out allows you to duplicate it in your own work, though some photos have insanely complex riggings for seemingly simple lighting.

Anyway, I could rant all night about photography, so maybe I should have some rum like my pal Jack and pass out lol. I'm very eager for Monday, now I'll finally start to have a Pirates figure collection instead of Jack figures.

Monday's Princess Leia day for me. Right now I'm editing photos of the 13" Batgirl and Batman and then I'm on to 7" stuff. Good times. No sleep for me tonight.

I've got Elizabeth Monday, then my replacement will be in Wednesday for the Hot Toy Power Loader, with Jango Fett RAH, HT FB Rambo, and Sideshow ALIEN dio shipping this week and Old Ben not too far off, so much to photograph, thank goodness I get a week off for the holiday at work lol.

Woohoo! I don't have (er, need, um want...) to spend the extra money for an HT Jack.

Thanks for the pic D.

I just try to take as decent a photo as I can with what kind of a setup I do have. Its fun though shooting these moving around trying things and all that jazz.

Received Elizabeth today, all in all, a great figure, definitely glad to have her, amazing portrait, but the hair piece is going to take some warming up to, something about it just doesn't sit well with me at the moment. I'll be photographing her later when I get home.

I got Jack and Elizabeth this weekend, and that's the one thing that I don't care for, either - her hair. I think it's the front of it; the short pieces around her face. It gives the impression the hair is that short, and it doesn't look right.

But I'm very pleased with her overall, and I love Jack.

Alright, well, now that I've had a chance to shoot her and really check her out, Elizabeth is another great figure from the Hot Toys group. I'm still iffy on the hair, but that's even growing on me, but other than that, it's a great figure, costuming is superb.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Great photos as usual. The gap problems with the wig are minimized by the face shadows. I love that orange background complimenting the gold highlights, really makes 'er pop, though Liz really belongs in a dress or nothing at all IMO. Nice work!

Wow, MaulFan! Great shots!!

This pic shows just how spot-on the sculpt really is -

8.jpg

As always Sean, absolutely amazing shots!
She is a beauty!

And that Jack looks great too! I haven't gotten that one yet. Still on the fence about it. But you make them both look real.

Great stuff! My Liz hits today. Can't wait!

I got my Jack yesterday and while the outfit is a 10 out of ten the sculpt just isn't there for me on this one. I don't see much if any Depp in it.:monkey2 It looks like a random face to me.
That being said I still really like this figure. The coat is amazing.:cool: I'm not quite sure about that hat just yet. I may dremel a little away so it sits lower on his head.

Hey Maulfan, I'm just doing a review of her, would you mind if I linked to this page to show your pics, I'd credit you of course!

I see Depp in the sculpt, and under certain lighting it comes out, but overall I find the paint apps on the eyes to lose some of the likeness, that and the mustache isn't quite full enough and almost has a pubescent look, but the base anaotmy is definitely Johnny.

Back