PC Overheating Problem again

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I have computer issues I find the easy solution is to buy a new one.

Easy step you can take to avoid computer problems in the future:

Buy a Mac!!!

Please pull Apples peins out of your mouth for 5 min. You have had a mac for what? A year or 2 and you're acting like you have had a Mac that's been working for you for the last 15 years.

Got the thermal paste earlier and put it on. Pc was running for about 2 hours or so before shutting down again. Does it take awhile before it will keep from overheating or should it work right away?

After it shut down I touched the power area (inside and out) and both were cool to the touch so I know that wasn't the overheating problem.

Likes other have said, it gets a little more tricky now. What were you doing when it shut down?

It could be bad RAM, bad PSU or a bad motherboard. Unfortunately at this point is a crap shoot. If you can borrow these parts from someone or another computer to test it would be a lot easier to narrow it down.

I used to do the same thing. Then I got smart and bought a Mac. :rotfl

If your Mac remains 100% trouble free for 5 years + then I'll listgen to you. My PC's usually last about 5 years before issues start to happen.

Again, you have had a Mac 1 to 2 years max and you act as if you've been a lifetime Mac guy who KNOWS they stay issue free forever.

Yeah, it could be the power supply. My last computer started having issues a year or so after I got it, turns out the power requirements of my hardware was right at the limit of the PSU and stuff would stop working sometimes. I ended up disconnecting something that wasn't essential and it worked just fine.

At this point you need to start trouble shooting individual parts. If you have a friend that builds their own computers and they are working, then hopefully they have some spare working parts that you can use to test with. If not, then you may need to cannibalize another working computer to test. First off you'll need to swap out the power supply and try it (I don't know how new your gear is but you may want to try a 600W or better rated, because if your parts are pulling more amps than it can handle it won't work.). If that doesn't solve the issue, then it's not your PSU. Next I would test your RAM with a program called Memtest (it's free and you can find it included with the ultimate boot CD download, it's free and has lots of great troubleshooting tools). If the RAM passes that test (I like to run it all night for multiple passes) then your RAM most likely is fine. To test your CPU and Motherboard you'll have to swap those out for ones that are working and of the same socket type and same model (for the motherboard, in my experience windows doesn't like it when the motherboard changes). I hope this helps, it's a long process when trying to troubleshoot problems, you just need to be patient and remember to only change one variable at a time and keep everything else the same. Good luck.

Im thinking that it is the exhaust? fan, all the times i checked previously it was running fine. Started the Pc up last night and noticed that it wasn't spinning, and that it would only sputter when I nudged it.

To the one that asked, yes I didi clean the old paste out before adding the new stuff (a few hours ahead).

I was able to get it running last night, but I had a normal fan down to the level blowing into the PC case. A few minutes (hours after starting up) after I removed the case it shut itself down again.

Gonna head over to the PC store tomorrow if I can to pick up a replacement fan and hope that is all.

I do wanna get a new PC, but its gonna be awhile before taxes to get back and such. The computer is already about 5 or 6 years old,so its prob getting to that time already....just need to expand the usuage from this one as much as I can.

That's good to hear that it might be something less serious and expensive to fix. For best airflow any fans on the front of the case should be blowing into the case. Fans on the back blowing out. Fans on the side cover should be blowing in, and fans on the top blowing out. You should also have an equal number of intake and exhaust fans to equalize the flow of air.

Im thinking that it is the exhaust? fan, all the times i checked previously it was running fine. Started the Pc up last night and noticed that it wasn't spinning, and that it would only sputter when I nudged it.

To the one that asked, yes I didi clean the old paste out before adding the new stuff (a few hours ahead).

I was able to get it running last night, but I had a normal fan down to the level blowing into the PC case. A few minutes (hours after starting up) after I removed the case it shut itself down again.

Gonna head over to the PC store tomorrow if I can to pick up a replacement fan and hope that is all.

I do wanna get a new PC, but its gonna be awhile before taxes to get back and such. The computer is already about 5 or 6 years old,so its prob getting to that time already....just need to expand the usuage from this one as much as I can.

I would really doubt its a case fan, and if it causing issues with heat I would say you have a bad CPU fan too. If the CPU fan is running as it should the case fan shouldn't cause it to shut down so fast. Also do you have the PC in enclosed space?

Been busy with work and house stuff lately. I got to the store and bought another case fan, and decided to get another cooling fan since I was at it. Changed them out and the PC works just fine now, stays on for hours until I manually shut it down.

Will still run some of the things people posted to check out my other parts of the PC. Might as well check through them now before the PC goes down again.

Need to stretch out this PC another 3 months or so. THanks for the help/info guys.

Last edited:
Upgrade to this

bild

:p

Back