PC Overheating Problem again

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper33

Super Freak
Reaction score
Last year I was having some problems with my computer overheating, actually was a bunch of problems last year besides that. Turned out it was the cooling fan that was going bust, swapped it out and problem was alright.

After that problem I startedd turning off my PC during the night, and not turning it on until the next day (either wake or after work). Yesterday after work I started it up and started the usual internet stuff. A few minutes pass and then the PC shut's down, I turned it back on and it worked just fine the rest of the night.

Well today I turn on the computer and am able to use it for a few before it shuts down again, try to turn it back on and it shuts down before fully booting up. Now when ever I start it up it makes a beeping sound and then tell's me hat the PC was shutdown due to a thermal problem.

Thing is both of the fans (one at the back and cooling) are both running just fine, so I am unsure what to do.

Again help is appreciated.

The one time I tried to build a computer from scratch, which I will never do again because I certainly didn't save any money, it would shut down randomly. Turns out, the motherboard had a jumper select that was just barely making contact with the case/chassis. Stupid non-standardized MTX or whatever form factor.

By the time I located that short, the CPU was pretty much toast. Not sure if this helps or not.

Also, make sure your fans are moving the air in and out of the computer. One should be an intake, and one an outtake. The fans will have an arrow for how they move the air.

Also, check the fans directly over the processor, not just the back of the computer case, AND check the fan on the power supply itself.

Easy steps:

• Do you have variable speed fans? Try turning the speed up.
  • Make sure all of your fans are still working properly, especially the fan on top of the CPU. If you need to replace any, get ball bearing fans. A couple extra bucks but worth it.
  • Power down and clean out all of the dust. Be sure to get the dust bunnies out of the front and back vents. Get the main board, memory, cables, all of the nooks and crannies you can reach. You can use canned air or carefully use a vacuum cleaner w/ extension hose.
  • neatly gather the ribbons to promote good airflow. Use plastic zip-ties so you have one or two groups of cables instead of a rat's nest.

Easy steps:

• Make sure all of your fans are still working properly, especially the fan on top of the CPU. If you need to replace any, get ball bearing fans. A couple extra bucks but worth it.
  • Power down and clean out all of the dust. Be sure to get the dust bunnies out of the front and back vents. Get the main board, memory, cables, all of the nooks and crannies you can reach. You can use canned air or carefully use a vacuum cleaner w/ extension hose.
  • neatly gather the ribbons to promote good airflow. Use plastic zip-ties so you have one or two groups of cables instead of a rat's nest.

yes...........all this.............:lecture

or work from inside your refrigerator...........:lecture:lecture

Easy steps:

I said CPU fan. yeesh.

Check your CPU and its heatsink and observe the state of the thermal compound. You might need to replace the thermal paste if it's dried out.

Alright, checked the fans to the power supply, one on heat sync, and one leading out of the case. All three seem to run just fine. Cleaned out the dust that I could with some canned air.

I think it might be the paste soemeone mentioned. I would check but the piece (heatsink I think) was pretty hot. So where would I be able to pick up some of the paste.

Alright, checked the fans to the power supply, one on heat sync, and one leading out of the case. All three seem to run just fine. Cleaned out the dust that I could with some canned air.

I think it might be the paste soemeone mentioned. I would check but the piece (heatsink I think) was pretty hot. So where would I be able to pick up some of the paste.

Unless you have a local computer hobbyist shop. I would buy it from newegg.com

Most any place that sells pc parts/hardware like Micro Center or Fry's (those are stores Im familiar with in CA, though).

Or you can just go online like Sexy said. I use Arctic Silver thermal paste. Pretty cheap, and it's on Newegg and Amazon.

Are you sure the power supply is not going bad? Every time I've had problems with the computer randomly shutting down, it was because the power supply was failing. It manifested itself by running really, really, really hot which would definitely give you thermal problems. It's an easy and relatively cheap fix as long as you get the right kind of replacement.

Got the thermal paste earlier and put it on. Pc was running for about 2 hours or so before shutting down again. Does it take awhile before it will keep from overheating or should it work right away?

After it shut down I touched the power area (inside and out) and both were cool to the touch so I know that wasn't the overheating problem.

computer-cat.jpg

Got the thermal paste earlier and put it on. Pc was running for about 2 hours or so before shutting down again. Does it take awhile before it will keep from overheating or should it work right away?

Should work upon application, but that is assuming that you thoroughly cleaned the surfaces that were originally covered with the old thermal paste before applying new paste.

After it shut down I touched the power area (inside and out) and both were cool to the touch so I know that wasn't the overheating problem.

So does this mean this may not actually an issue involving overheating? This makes the situation a bit hairier. Maybe it's your RAM?

Back