Pangaea Samurai General - 1/6 Scale Armored Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with your points. I would have preferred a molded hair sculpt but can see where that could interfere with posing the figure. An alternate custom sculpt will probably be in the works soon.

That would be indeed great, but can you be so sure an improved HS will be made? By whom?
Thanks,
m.

I am interested in this HS, but not in the figure as a whole.
I am comparing the HS with this:

145.jpg

My observations:

1) Hair is as good and accurate as it gets in mass production. I bet it can be improved with water, heat and product.

2) Come to think of it: how would they ever do an accurate HS, if this figure is unlicensed? Couldn't they end up in jail?

3) Anyways, they have gone too far in a few places, particularly the lower mandible: look at my ref pic, then at the 4th pic. The angle of the mandible wrt the vertical line of the side of the head should be much sharper. As a result, the guy looks a bit like a bulldog (precisely what Brando wanted for his part as the Godfather).
This can be fixed with substractive re-sculpting.

4) Hairline, front, eyebrows, nose, cheeks... all OK, even in profile. The problem is with the eyes, as Yodasodabo pointed out. The problem is not eye placement, though, but eye shape: Cruise's flesh above the eyes and below the eyebrows (what's its name?) hangs in such a way that the visible part of his eyes looks like a triangle lying on his longer side. On the contrary, the HS has round eyes. The corner where the lacrimal is located, is also not very well done.
Extremely difficult to fix, as far as I know. But one never knows...!

5) Beard is not particularly accurate (a scarce beard must be hard to do), but that doesn't hurt accuracy wrt Cruise, but wrt Cruise's looks on that particular film. With the same inaccurate beard but put on top of an accurate likeness, we would be raving.
Fixable, especially with rooted hair.

RfC!
m.

EDIT: I forgot to properly end my post. I'd also like to add that eyebrows need more work. They can easily be made more accurate.

EDIT2: I'll go even finer. The forehead and the nose are 2 long. Cruise's face can be divided into 3 thirds of very similar lengths: forehead to eyebrows, from eyebrows to end of the nose, and from there to end of the chin. In the HS, the 3rd third is noticeably shorter than the other 2, which are similar. So, forehead and nose are too long on that HS.

EDIT3: EDIT2 leads me again to an issue that puzzles me every time I check an almost-ok-HS, namely, how come Chinese sculptors can nail such difficult stuff like the shape of a nose or mouth and then screw basic proportions. You know, dividing the subject into parts, finding out proportions among them, then traslating them to your HS. It really is the basic, easier part! The very first thing you do, before going into detail!
I will never understand it...

Looks like this guy has finally released . Bryan Lo posted this on his Facebook page. Looks really great .
207be38bcd21f815b3030478e3fc589d.jpg
t
eb838fffe3c3813546b36ac7ec876939.jpg
b072f4cf769755d53c3c3e690879e3b0.jpg
11451b2aee6e8960f0aea0e93330da4e.jpg
43e3f4026b5731199a95713bd01863aa.jpg

The headsculpt looks really good, shame it is very movie specific. Every other TC head looks a bit off in one way or another. The hair looks really good as well. It is my oldest pre-order, but it looks like it was worth the wait.

I may pick up some other samurai figures, just so he is not alone on the shelf.

The headsculpt looks really good, shame it is very movie specific.

Yes HS is really good, I would like to have the same but without beard to make à Ethan Hunt from Mission Impossible 2 :rolleyes2

It is the best headsculpt of Tom Cruise (other are Ugly) but the next Eleven will be great too (short hair)
1547312629-37373058-610696385997798-3315016605578035200-n.jpg

Can't wait to get mine, glad I didn't cancel.

That Eleven head is beautiful. In my eyes, I think the problem with most Cruise sculpts is that the expression is always too stern / mean. Hard to explain but there is a certain gentleness / softness in the way he / his face looks that's always there even when he's serious, that seems to be really hard to replicate. But I see it in that Eleven head, really nice.

Neighbor dropped it off, this thing turned out amazing, the only thing I would of liked added would be the pattern on the tunic. Here is a quick cell pic. Need to change where Katana is i just through them on there. Overall very happy with this release.20190112_192843(1).jpg

Yes HS is really good, I would like to have the same but without beard to make à Ethan Hunt from Mission Impossible 2 :rolleyes2

It is the best headsculpt of Tom Cruise (other are Ugly) but the next Eleven will be great too (short hair)
1547312629-37373058-610696385997798-3315016605578035200-n.jpg

Is this head already available? If not, any idea when it will be?

Thanks,
m.

One of my favourite movies and cool char! Too bad I'm not much into Samurai figures despite this one and the amazing ones from Coo

Back