PAJJI's Trial & Error (Old Man Bruce, Urban Dredd)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pajji

Super Freak
Reaction score
Well, finally had the courage to start painting some sculpts I bought unpainted a while ago. Seeing all the great work done here has always had me wanting to try and paint since day 1. Through the help of many freaks here and reading tons of tutorials, I finally felt comfortable taking a stab at it.

Thought I'd share some of my progress and growing pains. Critiques and pointers welcomed! :1-1:

Still trying to figure out the whole "wash" thing...my paint applications still feel thick and some brush stokes are still visible. The eyes are what stopped me before...but it wasn't as bad as I thought...you really need a magnifying glass for help tho...think I went momentarily blind once or twice from squinting and straining my eyes so much. Really want to paint blood... So that will be my next adventure. :hi5:

Logan25's Frank Miller Old Bruce Wayne:

null_zps7a388de2.jpg

null_zpscd323aa0.jpg

null_zps5b73f413.jpg

null_zpsa2aa2383.jpg

Re: PAJJI's Trial & Error (O Captain, My Captain)

Rocco's DREDD 3D:
This was technically my first ever paint job...had the guts to do it because I knew I didn't need to paint eyes :lol ...and most of the face would be covered by helmet. Also sculpted his neck guard...rough..but it did the job :)

null_zps7457fcf8.jpg

null_zps5a9805bf.jpg

0E9FEE90-F0EA-4650-9C32-4E77BF312993-11184-0000059EE561CAF1.jpg

null_zps1aac9859.jpg

D507BD3B-4EEB-4CA8-9C1F-BC3688545BC9-4484-000002A75DD3866A_zps9f4a445e.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff Pajji! I've been learning how to paint too, how'd you wash out the paint? I occasionally see brush strokes for mine...I tried applying another coat and it somewhat gets better..

Thanks Chubbyman! :duff

You know what, I'm still learning too...I get brush strokes as well...what minimizes for me is I dip my brush in the acrylic, then dab the brush lightly in water before applying to sculpt...I do this for a few layers...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and I have to start over :lol...I also have the color mixed with water in the side as my "wash"...I put a few coats of that to my main base coat...smoothes it out

Your first paint work?
You lie! :rotfl

Really great work and your flesh tones are spot on.
For brush stokes us flow aid to thin the paint , but don't use water as it dilutes the colour.
Flow aid makes the paint thinner without the compromise of colour loss.
And give it a few coats .
Will be very thin to begin with but just take your time and use a hair dryer.
Will give you a nice even brush stroke free result.

Thanks JOhnny! You where the one actually who pointed me to this amazing tutorial on OSW...using acrylics and pastels :1-1:

Thanks for that buddy!

Glad it helped. I used that tutorial when I first started, it was my bible, haha. Keep it up!

That Dredd paint up looks great Pajji !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Your first paint work?
You lie! :rotfl

Really great work and your flesh tones are spot on.
For brush stokes us flow aid to thin the paint , but don't use water as it dilutes the colour.
Flow aid makes the paint thinner without the compromise of colour loss.
And give it a few coats .
Will be very thin to begin with but just take your time and use a hair dryer.
Will give you a nice even brush stroke free result.

:rotfl I swear...first 2 paint ups...never painted before. Thanks for the tip! :1-1: I'm def gonna try that...can't wait!

That Dredd paint up looks great Pajji !

Thanks Rob! :duff

Where did you get the sculpt and clothes? Did it come as a full figure?

Where did you get the sculpt and clothes? Did it come as a full figure?

Sculpt was made by Rocco....I think he's still selling them...and no..not a full set...members here where selling bits and parts to make him...you had to find pieces on your own to bash him :)

So, doing last minute holiday shopping on Saturday, I stumbled across Hasbro's 12" Captain America figure for $9 that I saw Seb use for his amazing Capt Custom. I'm on vacation for the week so I thought "hey, this should be fun and try to repaint...will be good practice...and if I mess up, it's only 9 bucks". My wife had this look on her face when I threw in that figure in the cart :lol She said one thing was collecting HotToys which is driving her crazy already...but another to be buying toys meant for 9yr olds...she was really worried :yess:

Well I got home, stripped the paint and went to work...really happy how it turned out...especially the skin tone and eyes...the hood, and symbols surprisingly gave me the most trouble :thud:

Special thanks to Jay (HiddenJujitsu) and David (8-Bit) for sharing great tips on painting and prepping :yess: Made this a lot easier and smoother! Thanks Fellas!

Back