Older HT Alien Figs: How's The Rubber Holding Up?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact that I live in Colombia tells me that unskilled labor is pretty cheap. In fact, all kind of labor is pretty cheap. :angelsmil
i was being super serious.
Still if Hot Toys do a screen accurate "big chap" Alien I'm there even if it's composed entirly of rubber :lol
they won't.
it would be awesome if they did. and it's way past time that someone made a screen-accurate 1/6 big chap and HT certainly has the resources to make an incredible figure.

but, they won't. it'll be another disappointment just like the other aliens they've made.

I very closely accurate Alien would make me happy. No man in a suit look please. Scary biomechantical space rapist please.

I very closely accurate Alien would make me happy. No man in a suit look please. Scary biomechantical space rapist please.

what he said, no gangly looking stupid ass in a suit, i wanna see what the dog alien looks like with some open pics, there was one pose on the hottoys website that actually looked like the best ive seen so far, but more of the pics make it look like a little kid in an alien suit for some reason

Got a Grid and Predalien coming in, both will be placed on top of Detolfs and dusted from time to time. I'll give you an update in a couple of years:D

Mine are holding up pretty good. If in fact Hot Toys is using "pure" rubber.
Except for some "glue issues", they seems to be doing fine.

If it's silicone-rubber, the Aliens should last indefinitely. Silicone doesn't deteriorate.

Sorry to take some time to get back to you. Attempting to get a definitive answer for you, I contacted Dow Corning (big time silicone manufacturer). Here's what I asked:

"The [items]are made from silicone rubber. How long does this silicone last; does the silicone deteriorate over time"

Here's their reply:

"Silicone rubber has greater durability when compared to traditional rubbers and it also has more elasticity compared to soft plastics.

The breaking of the polymer matrix is the typical way in which the material degrades. Fillers and other additives that are attached to the polymer matrix can be the source or site of detachment. Whether by chemical exposure, UV breakdown or mechanical abrading, silicone is likely to outperform other materials."

Huh? Not much of an answer in regards to how long the silicone will last.

While I don't know how long the silicone will last, I do know that when the silicone comes in contact with [some]items made from rubber it causes a chemical reaction which will yellow.. clear silicone. For [example], SCUBA masks with silicone skirts should be stored in a separate case.

As for time, I can only speak from my own experience, but I have several [Scuba Masks] that are over 10 years old; I keep them in cases, away from [other] products, and the silicone still looks almost new.

Hope this helps,

Henry Babcock
AllExperts SCUBA Expert

Last edited:
what he said, no gangly looking stupid ass in a suit, i wanna see what the dog alien looks like with some open pics, there was one pose on the hottoys website that actually looked like the best ive seen so far, but more of the pics make it look like a little kid in an alien suit for some reason

Here's what the dragon should look like. :D

74580_alien_122_391lo.jpg

Back on topic, the rubber/silicone on the aliens looks to be holding up pretty good.

Mine Hot Toys Aliens figure is falling apart. The lower leg isnt sticking to the rubber joint. I tried some glue but it didnt work. Nice figure but at the same time a piece of junk. I always had problems with both feet staying in the ball joints and his right hand always was a problem. I guess its time to get rid of him or I should posed him as a Predator ____ him up badly; ripped off his lower leg, both feet, right hand missing.

Last edited:
Well I can't speak from personal experience, but my friend has the Alien warrior from Aliens and the dog alien from Alien 3 and both have problems with the rubber and the paint.

My Predalien is also in perfect condition after all these years. I had some serious issues with my AvP:R Alien Warrior so I ended up selling him:lol

What kind of issues because right now mine alien warrior's lower right leg is loose; the plastic is not sticking to the rubber. Like I wrote earlier I always had problems with the foot socket. How much did you sell him for. Im thinking about selling him.

I bought an AW recently and it looked kinda dry and the neck seam had come undone....:dunno

If any of you want to get rid of one of yours for cheap LMK....:wave

What kind of issues because right now mine alien warrior's lower right leg is loose; the plastic is not sticking to the rubber. Like I wrote earlier I always had problems with the foot socket. How much did you sell him for. Im thinking about selling him.

Mine had no leg problems whatsoever. I had paint peeling on the mouth tendons, and chest. I sold it for $110.

Hey, I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I was contemplating a layer of acrylic clear coat. That oughta provide some protection, right?

Back