Official Harry Potter Figure Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They'll straighten Bellatrix's hair, toss her in a leftover Marilyn Monroe dress, and call it Bellatrix (Sane Version)

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Some really quick photos of the 1:8 Dementor figure that just arrived. I was still angry about the face sculpt, so I made a super quick mod to the head. I still need to sew it tighter but it works. I shouldn't have to do that for a figure retailing at $100+. Thankfully I got this for $22 with two coupons and the seller accepting a low ball offer because it was for sale 6+ months. I feel awful for the people that bought this at retail price or even anything over $40. It's a metal pole with some cloth, a tiny section of an upper torso, an inaccurate but at least ball jointed head and cheap cut joint arms. This release honestly has me angry - it's trash.

I don't understand why he's so lenient with Star Ace stuff. There are SO many things wrong with the figure, so many things to really nail them with and they just get glossed over.

The pictures here in this review say more than the written content.

It really is a shame to see such an iconic line get such a haphazard treatment. Star Ace started out strong and over the years it went off the rails. I think they stopped investing in quality sculpting at the cost of just getting a character done. The best portraits they ever did were the ones KA Kim did in the very beginning. The Ginny Weasley is another perplexing head scratcher on the quality spectrum.

Star Ace has proven capable on some releases and not on others. I was excited when they got licenses for things like Pulp Fiction, but then final product was atrocious. For the money they are charging, the collectors deserve better. Unfortunately I think their Kill Bill figure will suffer the same fate, which is a heavily photoshopped prototype with a horrid final product.

It really is a shame to see such an iconic line get such a haphazard treatment. Star Ace started out strong and over the years it went off the rails. I think they stopped investing in quality sculpting at the cost of just getting a character done. The best portraits they ever did were the ones KA Kim did in the very beginning. The Ginny Weasley is another perplexing head scratcher on the quality spectrum.

Star Ace has proven capable on some releases and not on others. I was excited when they got licenses for things like Pulp Fiction, but then final product was atrocious. For the money they are charging, the collectors deserve better. Unfortunately I think their Kill Bill figure will suffer the same fate, which is a heavily photoshopped prototype with a horrid final product.

I couldnt agree more with this. They have releases that are rolling out now where I look at them and go "hmm its a little off I'll wait until I find it below $150 online" for some of the ones that are a little off like Bellatrix and Lucius. Griphook looks pretty good the DH version - the PS/SS version is inaccurate. I hope Luna is decent but with Ginny, it looks like a mass market figure that was blown up in size with bad paint and a bad sculpt. They didn't even give her the Riddle Diary accessory that even stabbed or even a cauldron would have been more fitting to the character. I guess now they are trying to make a quick buck however they can by taking existing bodies, costumes and accessories - pumping out a thrown together head sculpt and calling it a day. I wonder how much longer they have the license for because it would be great to see a company take on the license that could do some amazing work. I'm still wondering if the HT Newt will be released, the Grindelwald looks pretty superb.

The lowest moment I felt about the Star Ace line was when the 1:8 dementor arrived. I really should upload a photo of what is under the robes. All they did was stuck a metal rod onto the top part of a bony cheap chest piece. I imagine the 1:6 scale version will be the same and retailing that at $200 and $220 for a deluxe version (with light up eyes...seriously WTF) It's turned into a cheap thrown together line with santa hagrids, pumpkin hermiones and all robe no dementor.

I really wonder if HT officially has the full Wizarding World license and Star Ace's time is ticking on their rights to it. It would explain why they're half assing and milking everything they've got. It would also support why HT hasn't done anything outside of Newt and Grindelwald; perhaps some form of clause prevents them.

It's like when Sideshow got the Star Wars license :lol

It's turned into a cheap thrown together line with santa hagrids, pumpkin hermiones and all robe no dementor.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. It is good for people that missed these releases, but instead of a Santa suit or a pumpkin they could just release with less accessories? Early releases came with a lot of good stuff, I mean heck Ron came with a full chess board with all pieces.

I really wonder if HT officially has the full Wizarding World license and Star Ace's time is ticking on their rights to it. It would explain why they're half assing and milking everything they've got. It would also support why HT hasn't done anything outside of Newt and Grindelwald; perhaps some form of clause prevents them.

It is a wonderful thought, but I don’t put much stock in Hot Toys managing to finish a set of anything. I would love to see them do some of the iconic characters.

It is a wonderful thought, but I don’t put much stock in Hot Toys managing to finish a set of anything. I would love to see them do some of the iconic characters.

I suppose it's a quality vs quantity dilemma then. I'd much rather have a handful of good quality renditions than a ton of them with wildly varying quality.

I don't Ginny look that bad. If it's supposed to be from TCOS. Her hair is parted in the middle. But to pass her off as TDH is ridicules.

Back