Official Harry Potter Figure Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Ron is really disappointing. I was holding out for the older versions of the kids but if this is the path they're going I might just go back and get the younger versions as the quality is declining fast.

Funny you mention McGonagall, since Star Ace Toys just revealed their McGonagall figure on Facebook...

Looks like an improvement to the line. But we all know this is what will be in the box:

:lol @these!! :lol

I am really worried about the Fantastic Beasts Newt figure now! :panic: Hope they haven't messed it up. :pray:

Started out great and slowly turned into crap. They are like reverse Hot Toys.

:exactly: Completely agree! :( For the prices that these things cost, I expect way, way better than what they have shown recently. So disappointing. :(

Let us know what you think of the 1:8 figures. I'm 1:8 curious myself, lol. I just haven't pulled the trigger, cuz I figure they'll get pretty cheap in a few months.

Zero interest, I'm afraid...

...and there are a lot of reasons. But the main two, I guess, are:

1. Firstly (and primarily), the reason a lot of us are in this hobby at all is the often jaw-dropping, but usually pretty great, quality of the likenesses that have been demonstrated to be achievable at the 1/6 scale. I have very little confidence that companies could even get close to the level of the sculpt quality we've come to expect and require of the 1/6 figures we choose to buy at 1/8 scale.... and I have no desire to have a bunch of well-dressed Dime-Store figurines on my shelf. Same holds true on accessories and the like. the detail we get at 1/6 is often an amazing feat given the size of some of the items. I don't see how we'll get much more than vaguely recognizable chunks of plastic on all but the largest accessories at 1/8 scale.

2. Second (less important, but still a consideration) is that unless we're going to commit to re-buying our entire collections in 1/8 like the old days where we had to re-buy all our vinyl on CD - and then back again (LOL!), we lose the ability to get creative and do some cross over posing across franchises. Might not be a big deal, but why give this up just because some coc-a-doody company fumbled some lucrative licenses and decided to introduce a new scale that nobody wants in a desperate attempt to stay afloat?

I resounding No Way, No How, from me...

Last edited:
My main reasons for being interested in the 1:8 figures is cost and space. I've only gotten 3 figures from their 1/6 line because of cost and because a lot of them have big likeness issues.

And on the likeness front, the 1:8 Goblet of Fire Potter sculpt has a way better likeness to Radcliffe than the 1/6 Goblet of Fire sculpt.

If they can keep both scales going I don't see why branching out to a new scale would be an issue. Especially if they just shrink down some 1/6 sculpts to 1:8 like they've shown here, where they shrunk down the 1/6 POA Harry head for the 1:8 figure. And the sweater's neck looks better scaled here than it is on the 1/6 version.

I think 1/8th is cool but i want a Bellatrix in 1/6th, if its good, which judging by their current work means it most likely wont be.

Ron is another figure that's so bad that, despite my love for HP, it's most likely a total pass, just as Hermione was. This is just absurd.

At this point I'm assuming they've found a way to ruin Newt. Thank God all I need is the outfit. Release him and be done with it.

This line is clearly in its death throes. They never should have been given the license.

Last edited:
Where is the 1:8 orderable? I have no real issue having a HP line that is separate from the rest.

View attachment 391988

Yikes, Year 3 Ron looks awful. I'm glad that Star Ace is making this, but... yikes. =/

My guess is they made an Order of the Phoenix Ron but heard all the backlash about not having a complete POA Trio and we ended up with this...thing. I may buy it and try to rework the paint because the sculpt looks like it's there. I looked at a few screengrabs and headshots and sure enough this Order of the Phoenix headshot looks almost exactly like the figure we are seeing now. What irks me about this is that if they did an Order of the Phoenix trio I would buy them up immediately, even though I'd rather have a POA set personally.

My guess is they made an Order of the Phoenix Ron but heard all the backlash about not having a complete POA Trio and we ended up with this...thing. I may buy it and try to rework the paint because the sculpt looks like it's there. I looked at a few screengrabs and headshots and sure enough this Order of the Phoenix headshot looks almost exactly like the figure we are seeing now. What irks me about this is that if they did an Order of the Phoenix trio I would buy them up immediately, even though I'd rather have a POA set personally.

I thought the same thing, lol. I was just wrong about the movie they'd use to sell him though!

Hermione never looked good, guys. She just looked better than what they eventually shat out.

The Ron sculpt looks like it's from one of the David Yates films though.

Watch them label it Chamber of Secrets Ron, though.

Star Ace never watched the movies, they just looked at promotional materials. This would explain why they make so many bad decisions with this license.

Aside from a slightly weak paint job I think the Newt actually looks decent.

Star Ace booth at Toy Fair!

Don't bother clicking cuz it's pathetic.

Also they keep showing that 1/8 Harry Potter with the Firebolt even though it doesn't come with the figure that has been released, and it's pissing me off. How is this not false advertising?

Hmm...Newt is...okay? I didn't mind the open mouth in the promo pics, but he looks rather awkward in that video. Bit derpy to be honest. But it'd probably be improved with a better paint job.

I'll definitely be selling the original head sculpt.

You know, after getting both Harrys and Voldemorts in the 1/8 Scale...I really enjoy these figures! I wouldn't mind them reconfiguring a standard school versions robe version of Hermione and Ron. The dementor was noticeably absent from Toy Fair so my hope is they end up making that figure a lot more accurate after all the criticisms. A 1/6 and 1/8 Dementor would be fantastic.

Either way after seeing early reviews of Newt I'm excited to get him! I feel like for the FB line we will likely see a Grindlewald and Dumbledore but who knows.

Back