Offensive Jackson Five act

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if they were married but she is the one who put him up to that.

I know. Whoopi isn't exactly on my favorite-persons-in-the-world list. I can't imagine why she would think that was funny and subject the poor guy to such ridicule. When I was young and reckless the goal was to have sex with women from as many nationalites as I could in order to become more sensative to peoples cultures. :lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/C45g3YP7JOk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/C45g3YP7JOk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think the world needs to move on from being a bunch of morons.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/C45g3YP7JOk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/C45g3YP7JOk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think the world needs to move on from being a bunch of morons.

And that right there perfectly sums up why the Jackson 5 skit is so utterly retarded. Thanks for posting, ProgMatinee.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/WzY3QV6MkGs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/WzY3QV6MkGs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Eddie Murphy is racist.

Sorry, but this is the best proof that Eddie Murphy is a racist:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="https://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4acf621369b7c9ff/4741e3c5156499a7/c38cedf7/-cpid/758ec7fba030354e" id="W4727a250e66f97234acf621369b7c9ff" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="https://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4acf621369b7c9ff/4741e3c5156499a7/c38cedf7/-cpid/758ec7fba030354e" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>

:lol

eddie murphey is very funny...but richard pryor will take the gold no mater who the competition is.:rock

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="https://www.hulu.com/embed/psetVFL3sNfVu-OaaOKYUg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.hulu.com/embed/psetVFL3sNfVu-OaaOKYUg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>:rotfl
woohooo the embedding worked:D

Agreed, Richard Pryor was hillarious.

Can you imagine that in today's overly PC world if this skit had aired on SNL. FCC would have been handing out fines to everyone. Somehow Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would get involved. Geraldo would probably do an overnight vigil for the "victims." It would be the subject on "the View" for the next week.

This was when TV was good. Too many damn overly sensitive pus sies to get offended too easily these days.

sorry. the fact that it's posted here on an international and public forum makes it fair game for comment. i still think it's a lame and piss-poor performance, intentional or otherwise. if that was indeed the show's objective, then congrats, this act succeeded spectacularly. well done. :rolleyes:

You need to remember that Australia does not have a history of slavery or racism that is part of American history, particularly the south where Harry Connick Jnr hails from. Then again you have no intent of actually being informed on the subject do you.

I think Andrew Bolt gave a pretty good summary"

HERE are some questions for those now sanctimoniously damning the blackface skit on Wednesday’s Hey Hey It’s Saturday.

Do you seriously think either Hey Hey host Daryl Somers or the five doctors who pretended to be the Jackson Five are racists who wanted to make blacks look dumb?

No? You accept their instant and clearly sincere apologies?

Then this is not about what they are, right, but merely about how they seem?

Good. So can we settle down, please, before we yet again do our self-mutilating worst to persuade the world we truly are racist from our toes to the last curl of the doctors’ idiotic golliwog wigs?

I’m not letting Somers and the doctors off the hook here, but simply noting they are being charged with the wrong crime. They aren’t guilty of racism but stupidity.

It’s true that blackface in Australia has little of the cultural resonance it has in the US, where it’s become almost a symbol of that country’s past racism—a reminder of times when white performers not only impersonated blacks but freely made caricatures of them with exaggerated lips, eyeball-rolls and why-Lordy-massa drawls.

Still, I’d have thought enough of that baggage had landed here to make Somers and his team realise a black-face act could send the wrong signals, even to an Australian audience.

Their second piece of stupidity? Not everyone in their audience was Australian. In fact, right in front of Somers and the doctors—sitting as a judge of this Red Faces skit—was Harry Connick Jr, a jazz singer from New Orleans, in America’s race- touchy south.

What did they imagine Connick would think to see five men prancing in front of him in huge afro wigs and with faces caked black?

Even if he were inclined to laugh it all off as a culture clash, what else could he do but protest? YouTube clips of him sitting there unprotesting would have killed him back home.

And protest he did, and eloquently.

“If they turned up like that in the United States, it’d be like, Hey Hey There’s No More Show,” he said, giving the act zero points.

An immediately apologetic Somers, realising the howler, gave Connick time after the ad break to explain.

Said Connick: “We’ve spent so much time trying to not make black people look like buffoons that when we see something like that we really take it to heart. If I knew that was going to be part of the show I probably—I definitely—wouldn’t have done it.”

Somers again apologised: “I think we may have offended you with that act and I deeply apologise on behalf of all of us—because I know that to your countrymen, that’s an insult to have a blackface routine like that on the show, so I do apologise to you.”

Not the reaction of a racist, agreed?

The doctors have been equally mortified to have been taken to be what they are not.

Said plastic surgeon Anand Deva, who appeared later in the skit as Michael Jackson, but in a white face: “Clearly, all of us want to apologise . . . So I want to say on behalf of all of us that this was really not intended . . . (to be) anything to do with racism at all.

“I am an Indian, and five of the six of us are from multicultural backgrounds and to be called a racist, I don’t think I have ever been called that ever in my life before.”

You’d think a true racist would be more shameless. In fact, the only hint of racism in Deva’s reply is the suggestion that because he’s Indian he can’t have been racist towards blacks, as if that’s purely a white man’s game.

So this is a “scandal” about racism without a single racist—a scandal in which people are not attacking racists so much as advertising that they’re not one themselves. Do you get the feeling everyone’s just acting parts in a farce in which nothing is real?

Take even Connick: just a decade ago, he himself played the role of a shyster black preacher on Mad TV, an American sketch comedy television channel. Was that racist, too?

Still, we can hardly complain if foreign commentators from London’s Guardian to New York’s Newsweek now take this nothing as one more sign of our racism, given we’ve so long insisted we do indeed have such evil in our heart.

Our Prime Minister, for instance, has falsely accused his own country of being so racist that we stole thousands of Aboriginal children—not even 10 of whom he could actually name—just because they were black.

Taxpayers’ dollars were handed out to film director Baz Luhrmann to make Australia, and to Phillip Noyce to make Rabbit Proof Fence, so they could tell this same lie to the tut-tutting world.

In promoting Australia on US television, star Hugh Jackman even likened his land to Nazi Germany, so no wonder our critics assume Hey Hey was as racist as it wasn’t.

We worded the world up too well on our wicked ways, and through just the same kind of know-nothingness that has Somers’ face not black but red.

BTW - was this offensive ?

robertdowney_junior.jpg

Last edited:
BTW - was this offensive ?

robertdowney_junior.jpg

I remeber when I first saw the movie poster and someone told me that was RDJ and getting an uncomfortable feeling after seeing it. Not because I was offended, but because of anticipating the pending outrage that would ensue, which never did.

I guess it's no different than this done back in the 80's.
000169_27.jpg
soul-man1.jpg

It's a good point that you made, but obvious distinctions can be drawn. The Australian gong show performance was an over the top caricature where as the movies didn't exaggerate any features or mannerisms. At least that's my ignorant perception.

So this is a “scandal” about racism without a single racist—a scandal in which people are not attacking racists so much as advertising that they’re not one themselves. Do you get the feeling everyone’s just acting parts in a farce in which nothing is real?

:cool::cool::cool:

More Pryor genius.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/-_cdbByTeNE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/-_cdbByTeNE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You need to remember that Australia does not have a history of slavery or racism that is part of American history, particularly the south where Harry Connick Jnr hails from. Then again you have no intent of actually being informed on the subject do you.

informed on the subject of what---crappy perfomances?

when did i ever say anything about racism or slavery? u must've confused me with someone else. i was talking about how lame the performance was as a piece of "entertainment". and when someone explained this show "intentionally" hosts crap performances, my response was, in that case the group was spot-on.

please get your facts right before u slam someone, why duncha.

anyway, u guys can continue. have fun.
:monkey5

this is so dumb, this was not being offensive. but LOL at "jackson jive".

You know what's even more funnier? The Wayan brothers, and a bunch of other black dudes can wear makeup to make themselves up as white people, and it's totally tolerated. When a white person does it, it's wrong. Nice weak double standard... you over sensitive bunch of over sensitives!

People are so hard on Caucasians... ;)

You know what's even more funnier? The Wayan brothers, and a bunch of other black dudes can wear makeup to make themselves up as white people, and it's totally tolerated. When a white person does it, it's wrong. Nice weak double standard... you over sensitive bunch of over sensitives!

People are so hard on Caucasians... ;)

Why do I get the feeling you just threw that out there without really reading the entire thread?

Back