NOT GOOD: New Line's Bob Shaye on PJ

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lembas Eater

I Need More Tolkien!!!!
Reaction score
Bob Shaye of New Line was interviewed on SciFi.com, saying the he will never work with a director that is suing him.

https://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=39462

So heres back to hoping that THE HOBBIT is delayed until the rights return to Saul Zaentz, who at last word was still backing Peter Jackson.

I said it when all this first came to light: I hope the lesson of this mess is not "Don't sue your studio for money you deserve".

Shaye said that many of the Rings trilogy actors "suddenly, because, I'm guessing, of Peter's complaint," have declined to participate in celebrating New Line's 40th anniversary. "I'm incredibly offended," he said. "I don't care about Peter Jackson anymore.

He sounds like a eight-year-old who's upset because no one came to his birthday party.

Batty said:
He sounds like a eight-year-old who's upset because no one came to his birthday party.

exactly.. he is totally trying to save face there by making it look like a matter of principle when in reality his knees are knocking, nose is runny, and he just pissed his pants.

Screw Shaye. Screw NL. Screw anybody working for that POS company.

I hope MGM, Saul, and PJ break it off in there ass.

jlcmsu said:

I hope MGM, Saul, and PJ break it off in there ass.

:lol So how do you really feel about Josh? :lol

I don't understand how only New Line is to blame since no one has actual details. How can we assume PJ isn't asking for more than he is owed? And before you all condemn New Line solely, remember PJ wanted Lord of the Rings in two movies, it was New Line that suggested three. My point is, I don't think PJ is absolved of any blame here. They both need to get the heads out of their asses and get this thing done and stop acting like two year olds.

Raise your hand if you think the Hobbit by PJ with weta would gross 800,000,000 + world wide. IF its a two part easily over a billion and if there is as reported another Middle Earth based movie we are talking billions.

I can not believe the accountants are not just saying to both parties shut your mouth there is money to be made. The stats from LOTR are below.

$867,683,093 FOTR World Wide Gross
$926,284,377 TTT World Wide Gross
$1,129,027,325 ROTK World Wide Gross
$2,922,994,795 Total Gross for the LOTR Trilogy

There are two sides to everything and someone needs to swallow some pride here for the sake of the art. I swear that is the corniest thing I have ever posted LOL.

pixletwin said:
:lol So how do you really feel about Josh? :lol

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Fritz,

I agree PJ isn't blame free but New Line is the one with more cards than he so they're calling the shots. Which is why I say firetruck them.

Fritz said:
I don't understand how only New Line is to blame since no one has actual details. How can we assume PJ isn't asking for more than he is owed? And before you all condemn New Line solely, remember PJ wanted Lord of the Rings in two movies, it was New Line that suggested three. My point is, I don't think PJ is absolved of any blame here. They both need to get the heads out of their asses and get this thing done and stop acting like two year olds.
exactly.:clap

Fritz said:
I don't understand how only New Line is to blame since no one has actual details. How can we assume PJ isn't asking for more than he is owed?

Fritz, PJ isn't asking New Line for money. He is asking that an independent audit of profits be conducted. Whatever the findings are from that audit, PJ will accept.

New Line doesn't want an audit. Why? Prolly because they screwed him outta some money. :cool:

jimmyjamesf said:
Raise your hand if you think the Hobbit by PJ with weta would gross 800,000,000 + world wide. IF its a two part easily over a billion and if there is as reported another Middle Earth based movie we are talking billions.

I can not believe the accountants are not just saying to both parties shut your mouth there is money to be made. The stats from LOTR are below.

$867,683,093 FOTR World Wide Gross
$926,284,377 TTT World Wide Gross
$1,129,027,325 ROTK World Wide Gross
$2,922,994,795 Total Gross for the LOTR Trilogy

There are two sides to everything and someone needs to swallow some pride here for the sake of the art. I swear that is the corniest thing I have ever posted LOL.
Yeah here are my thoughts on both sides summed up in a simple emoticon.:violin

jlcmsu said:

Wouldn't that remotely include Sideshow, they are still holding many of their licenses. :lol :rotfl :monkey3

pixletwin said:
Fritz, PJ isn't asking New Line for money. He is asking that an independent audit of profits be conducted. Whatever the findings are from that audit, PJ will accept.

New Line doesn't want an audit. Why? Prolly because they screwed him outta some money. :cool:

I was just about to post this...

PJ is the bees knees and SSC should license ALL of his properties (except maybe King Kong - vanity project!)

LOTRFan said:
Wouldn't that remotely include Sideshow, they are still holding many of their licenses. :lol :rotfl :monkey3

Well, they don't work for NL they work with. See there ya go. :lol

pixletwin said:

So says PJ in a public letter. This is typical of something an agent would say to the press in the NFL when he wants something (ie. more money) for his client than he is worth. Why would PJ bring that up publically? I'm sure the studio has more to worry about than just PJ's cut of profits etc should an independant auditor get a hold of the books. PJ probably nows they won't do a independant audit which makes it easy for him to bring that out publically to generate sympathy for himself. Studio's are slimeballs so I'm sure they have much to hide from an independant audit. LOL. I don't want to sound like I'm against PJ and pro NewLine because I'm not. But I don't think it's that simple. I still don't think they are both without blame simply because I don't know who's lying and who's not and in all likelyhood, they both probably are so I won't take PJ's word over Newline just like I won't take Newline's over PJ.

They can all blow it out their collective asses!!!! Its just rich people trying to get richer!

Back