Media Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is just the first taste of what a true limited exclusive item feels like from Japan, and we're clearly not used to it here in the US. There has been many exclusives that you simple can't score and have to deal with it, those exclusive never left Japan in the first place so we never had to deal with that..

Ironically the Japanese Famicom mini is much easier to get, but I think it still holds true. I'd like to see more Nintendo exclusives coming to the US. Aside from the obvious Snes mini, I want an Snes themed Switch, or rather super famicom themed switch with the bright colors.

--
Except this was not intended to be limited or rather, nothing about this was marketed about limited. This is just another case of Nintendo being stupid, and not meeting supply and demand. Something they should have learned after the amiibo shortages and limited editions selling out to the point of where pre-orders were actually cancelled for a select few unfortunate souls.

I believe this thing now being 'limited' is just for Nintendo to save face.

Except this was not intended to be limited or rather, nothing about this was marketed about limited. This is just another case of Nintendo being stupid, and not meeting supply and demand. Something they should have learned after the amiibo shortages and limited editions selling out to the point of where pre-orders were actually cancelled for a select few unfortunate souls.

I believe this thing now being 'limited' is just for Nintendo to save face.

THIS! :clap

It is kinda funny the people that weren't worried and thought it was a fad and they'll find these easily in stores later on.

There is a business logic to having truly exclusive items. Hype gets drummed up for it, and though many would buy no matter what, many others only buy for the rarity (even if just to flip). But there's another dimension to this because Nintendo wants to sell NES games on their virtual console for the switch and for that reason it also makes some business sense.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

There is a business logic to having truly exclusive items. Hype gets drummed up for it, and though many would buy no matter what, many others only buy for the rarity (even if just to flip). But there's another dimension to this because Nintendo wants to sell NES games on their virtual console for the switch and for that reason it also makes some business sense.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
But they never advertised it as exclusive and limited from the start, did they? That's the thing. You're still right about the virtual console though, they're basically double dipping. Add into the fact that these particular NES games have been re-released several times on physical media and the NES Classic isn't that enticing for people like me.

More than likely they made this and distributed it to drive up sales for the then up coming Switch. I honestly don't believe the Switch would have sold as well as it has if it wasn't for this mini console and it's extremely apparent high demand. "Oh well if I can't find a Classic, I guess I'll buy a switch instead".

But they never advertised it as exclusive and limited from the start, did they? That's the thing.
I don't think they did, but the reality was that it was extremely hard to get. The fact that supply never met demand, even after Christmas, ensured that they never had to sit on excess stock. And the next time Nintendo rolls out with something like this, customers will buy first and ask questions later.

NES mini was always a limited thing, it was only supposed to last for Christmas but they extended it for a few extra months already. Basically every time Nintendo does an NES or Famicom merchandise, it's going to be an exclusive. I know because I collect them, I have the Famicom GBA and Super Famicom 3DS, they only sell them for a few months and then gets discontinued, that's how it's always been.

The most rare Nintendo exclusive is probably the famicom mini game set that came out like a decade ago, those were mini game cartridges that actually works on the GBA:

Famicom-Mini-Series-Nintendo-GBA-Game-Boy-5.jpg

Seems like they will be making more next year, might pick one up then. Will we see a Nintendo 65 mini aswell? :lol

Back