Nintendo 3DS & 3DSXL General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry...meant to post this in another thread, forgot this was the 3ds thread. Here ya go:

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION: BEAT FEWER GAMES
137 It's time to drop the backlog.

BY JUSTIN DAVIS“In 2015 my resolution is to finally clear my backlog.”

Gamers all over the world often look at their piles of unbeaten games with guilt.

But… why? Why should anyone play a game for one more moment after they stop having fun? Why should we feel guilty for returning to Team Fortress 2 for yet another round instead of finishing up that adventure game that was starting to feel boring? Why should anyone willingly subject themselves to boredom, just to put a game in the “done” column? Games are here for our entertainment!

I resolve to beat fewer games.

In 2015, I resolve to beat fewer games. I resolve to not feel guilty for putting down a game I’m not enjoying. Whether I’ve been playing for 15 minutes, or I’m 15 minutes away from the end. There are mountains of other games to try!

As a lifelong gamer, it’s a challenging compulsion to fight. We’re compelled to complete things and collect things. We collect doo-dads in platformers often for no reason at all. There’s no story justification, no in-game benefit, and sometimes not even any additional fun to be had tracking them all down. We just want the 100% check-mark next to each stage.

In this same way, I have often felt compelled to move more and more of Steam games into my “beaten” category. It feels good to complete something. To master a game, before moving on to the next.

All of this is well and good… if you’re enjoying the challenge. There is no better feeling than coming across a seemingly insurmountable obstacle, and then using your brains, skills, and reflexes to overcome it. That’s what games are all about. When video games are at their best, they crescendo into a climax of gameplay, narrative, visuals, and sound. Completing a great game can sometimes be worth slogging through some so-so middle portions. But not often. More often than not, so-so middle sections lead into so-so conclusions. And gamers have a so-so time dragging themselves through it all just to put a check mark next to it instead of playing something truly great.

Life is too short to waste on mediocre games.

Life is too short to waste on mediocre games. More experiences you’ll love are being created every day. Don’t be afraid to drop a game as soon as you aren’t having fun.

There are a few exceptions to this resolution. Or at least a few things to keep in mind. Some gamers, once they become hooked on an MMO or MOBA or shooter, find themselves unwilling or unable to even try new things. They have a stack of shiny new worlds to explore, but instead go back to Dota or World of Warcraft night after night. If you find something you love, more power to you. Time spent doing something you love is never time wasted. But I encourage anyone hooked on a game to at least give new things a shot. Just give them a chance. Often times starting is the hardest part, and once you begin you’ll find yourself enjoying the change of pace.

Many games feel like $30 worth of good ideas stretched into a $60 package.

Additionally lots of gamers, especially younger ones, don’t have the luxury of a backlog dozens of games deep to begin with. When you rely on birthday money or the occasional super-cheap indie game bundle to support your gaming hobby, you don’t have much choice but to wring all the fun you can out of the few games you purchase each year. And that’s OK too. Resources like IGN can at least help ensure you make the right decisions and pick up games that are a good value.

Many modern games are often too long for their own good. They feel like $30 worth of good ideas stretched into a $60 package. So what if you only made it halfway through that shooter or puzzle game? Once you feel like you’ve had your fill, and seen everything the game has to offer, just let it go. Put it down guilt-free and move on to something else. You’ll spend more time gaming, and you’ll be happier doing it.

You don’t owe it to a game to see it through to the end. Life’s too short! Try out something new. Beat fewer games. IGN Logo

Justin Davis is IGN's Executive Editor in charge of Features. He doesn't actually make New Year's Resolutions - this is just an article to get people thinking. You can follow him on Twitter at @ErrorJustin.

^^Thanks. I've been living by this for a long time. There's only a few games that I have time to play anymore, and the ones that I do I typically try to get all of the trophies/achievments for. I gave up on Dead Rising 3 about 1/4 of the way through because I started to get bored with it, and there was other new games to play. Seems like a good idea to have IMO.

I'm definitely all for getting this new 3Ds MM edition. I'm kicking myself that I missed it. I'd be shocked it we didn't get another crack at it though either TRU, Amazon or NoA. They updated the site today (NoA, that is). Preorders are noted as 'currently unavailable.' I'd highly doubt that they would list them though. If the EU website did, I'm sure the US version will too.

If I was to go for the Majoras Mask Limited Edition GAME set (US version), what's the best retailer to try come release day? Best Buy?

Obviously, I missed the pre-order for that too.

no one knows how many there will be that I've seen or where available.

except ebay where most people seem to turn around and sell them.

Yeah, I'll pass on eBay at the moment. My goal is definitely the MM New 3DS. Then, if I can the LE MM game set. I guess we'll know soon. May have to get to BB early on release day and give it a try.

Yeah, I'll pass on eBay at the moment. My goal is definitely the MM New 3DS. Then, if I can the LE MM game set. I guess we'll know soon. May have to get to BB early on release day and give it a try.

Sign up for an email alert on the amazon order page. I remember they had the Smash Bros. Wii U bundle available on release day.

is this like Zelda 3DS XL rare or like Villager Amiibo rare?

I assumed it was a timed limited edition, not preorder limited edition. Totally missed out, but I did get wave 3 Amiibos... wave 4 is probably gonna be a different story..

is this like Zelda 3DS XL rare or like Villager Amiibo rare?

I assumed it was a timed limited edition, not preorder limited edition. Totally missed out, but I did get wave 3 Amiibos... wave 4 is probably gonna be a different story..

Do you mean the Majora's Mask game bundle with the Skull Kid statue or the Majora's Mask New 3DSXL System?

At the moment both are "RARE" because all pre-orders are sold out. Until they're released, we won't know exactly how rare they are. There has been a lot of speculation as to whether either will be available again closer to the release date or on release date. We'll have to wait and see.

Soooooo.....Target decided to list the New 3DS MM Edition at......drumroll, please.......3 AM this morning.

It sold out in minutes.

SMH.

Best Buy Limiting New Nintendo 3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition To One Per Customer | Attack of the Fanboy

"If you pre-ordered more than one Majora’s Mask New Nintendo 3DS XL console from Best Buy, your additional orders will now be cancelled.

A NeoGaf poster noted he ordered more than one Majora’s Mask New Nintendo 3DS XL console. He pre-ordered additional consoles for his friends at Best Buy, but those orders have now been cancelled. He can only pre-order one of the consoles now.

Other people on NeoGaf confirmed that Best Buy is now limiting Majora’s Mask New Nintendo 3DS XL orders to only one per customer now. Because the console is in very high demand, they want to avoid scalpers from buying heaps of them to make a profit out of the situation.

If you pre-ordered two or more Majora’s Mask New Nintendo 3DS XL consoles from Best Buy, you will now only see one console on your account. Some people are a bit annoyed Best Buy didn’t notify customers sooner about this.

On a related note, the Majora’s Mask New Nintendo 3DS XL console is sold out across Australia and New Zealand. Nintendo Australia noted on Twitter that more shipments for the console could be coming out in March. It will be of a “limited quantity” so Australians and New Zealanders have to be quick if they want one."

Maybe the US will get more in March too.

Back