NHL General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim Rutherford's moves were decent-to-questionable. Yes Daniel Winnik went for a lot. Something people have to keep in mind, a good chunk of that player's value came from the Maple Leafs retaining a third of his salary. That played into their price. The fact he's been one of our better and more consistent players in the stretch run, clearly dictates we did okay in that regard. Some compared it at the time to what the Jets got Jiri Tlusty for, but he isn't as complete of a player as Daniel is and again, there was no retaining of salary there. Pittsburgh was up against the wall when it came to the cap. Leafs knew this and and it played to their advantage. It also made a perfect marriage for a potential deal. The Jets also were in the running for Winnik, but were not in the same financial constraint as Pittsburgh was, and as a result weren't willing to match or improve upon their offer.

Ben Lovejoy for Simon Despres was a big head scratcher. I am at a loss on that one. That's going to cost us dearly in the future, and I don't see how it improves us today.

Last edited:
As per to your first question, the old schtick of "beating a dead horse" wasn't palpable for this poster anymore. The lack of empathy, with rigorous discussion that seemed to be narrowed down to an over abundance of ensuing Fleury bashing, needless to say got old.. fast. It's more the tiring redundancy of forced déjà vu that saw to my vaca from the thread, than anything else.

The occasional bickering amongst board members didn't help either. Having said that, it looks as though the tide has changed, and thus why I am back.

Now as for this Hockey News business, I wasn't fully aware of it. Personally I pay no stock into what that rubbish hockey flier/tabloid writes. They haven't been a relevant hockey news source for a while. The story wreaks hyperbole, seeking the desperate attention of the reader. It's like what can we do to sell papers, lets produce an article on a ridiculous hypothetical discussion.

We're in a tight NHL salary cap-fixed era. The very idea of a team relinquishing 10 years of a potential star of Crosby's calibre for Sid the Kid himself is ridiculous.

You're Buffalo or Phoenix... even if Connor McDavid doesn't reach Sid's heights, do you relinquish 3 years of a cheap ELC and a lower contract value from 18-25 vs. a now acclaimed "best hockey player in the world" that comes with a huge salary? Not to mention you also lose 10 very important years. 18-28 are often a superstar player's best NHL campaigns. Where as 29 and onward are usually considered the hump-to-regressive years.

Now you're Pittsburgh, do you move the best hockey player in the world for the potential of having the best hockey player in the world for the future? Lets see, realized potential vs. unrealized potential. Hmmm.... Tough one. Keep in mind your team is built around a veteran roster. Swapping the two sets both teams back. McDavid is not the guy to lead a team right now. How does that further your chances in the next year or two? What can Connor offer today that Crosby can't? If we're expecting a passing of a torch, fine, but it may not be foreseeable anytime soon. For that matter, it may never come. That's when you ask yourself, what relevance does this discussion have?

Didn't see you post anywhere else so either so thought maybe you had left the boards altogether

I like all the deals but the despres for love joy, think despres has the bigger up side long term, not sure who they think we be the Orpik in this line up as their D is god awful w/o Erhoff

The team has changed gm, coach, Crosby winger, d squad, yet they continue to play soft and uninspired hockey, see tonight's game against another non play off divisional team.

When they inevitably get bounced in round one max round two, what does Mario do? Crosby/Malkin/ Letang and my favorite MAF are the core of this team which continues to under perform and waste away important years.

Based on the lacklustre performance, you can Johnston immediately, then look for a taker on letang at any cost. Think they have another big year of ufa's, Id let most walk and do another overhaul, keeping the core younger players like Maata and pouliot.

Now 3-1 flyers....disgusting

The Penguins are garbage... and they are better than this. Very frustrating. Should I be hard on Griess?

Either way, the team is calling it in.

The Penguins are garbage... and they are better than this. Very frustrating. Should I be hard on Griess?

Either way, the team is calling it in.

He hasn't been good either though, not today mind you, but he had been suspect at best

This is all on Rutherford, his coach and his players

I'm going to puke....this penguins team is lost, completely lost

I said it when they hired him, Jim Rutherford is possibly the worst gm in hockey history, and he has ruined this team

Traded James Neal, let's Orpik and niskanen walk, then trades away this year first rounder for that softie David Perron, trades away the team hit leader in despres for snogger cheesecake in Ben love joy. I could go on and on, I seriouly hope they don't make the playoffs just so changes are made to salvage good last coupe of meaningful years from Malkin and Crosby

What a **** show

Let's go Rangers!!! #1 baby :)

:goodpost: :exactly: Went to last nights game at Prudential. Was pretty sweet to see the boys clinch the President's Trophy, sweep the season series vs the Devils, and listen to the Devil fans boo their team off center ice to end their season. ;)

I hope the Winnipeg Jets and the Calgary Flames can squeak in. The latter of the two has had such a great story this season.

Now that Ondrej Pavelec is actually playing like a bonafide NHL starter (was NHL 1st Star for the week recently) and has posted back-to-back shutouts in his past two games, we're finally looking like a tough team to beat game-in and game-out. Add all the pick ups we have obtained through trades, bolstering a healthy team, we should have a great shot of going deep in these playoffs. Few teams can match up with us. St. Louis even has a difficult time with us recently since we shored up our forward lines. We can roll 4 competent scoring lines, and match the league's best. Love it! This isn't the old Winnipeg Jets!

Quality coach. Great depth. Solid goaltending. Say what?! Good mix of speed, skill, and size.

Oh and then you have the Pittsburgh Penguins. *face palm* Lets just hope that after a league-best first half they don't fail to make the playoffs. Talk about the wheels of the bus coming off. Yikes! In ol' Jim Rutherford we trust, but he does have a Cup! lol

And people said firing Ray Shero was a smart move. At least he was a trading wizard.

Last edited:
Now I know what Claude Julien meant when he said last night was going to be a "man's" game. Break up the most effective line and give lots of ice time to Greg Campbell. 2 games left to make the playoffs and I have no confidence. At this point I'd rather they miss them and get to some major house cleaning.

Now I know what Claude Julien meant when he said last night was going to be a "man's" game. Break up the most effective line and give lots of ice time to Greg Campbell. 2 games left to make the playoffs and I have no confidence. At this point I'd rather they miss them and get to some major house cleaning.

That's not always the best route to take. Look no further than the Pittsburgh Penguins. They're seemingly worse off with all the new pieces they added/replaced both in the front office, behind the bench, and on the ice compared to last season's team. The Philadelphia Flyers can say the same when they cleaned house. It's not always best to clean house. Sometimes overhauls can be devastating and set a franchise back. Remember, it was the guys behind the scenes that got you your Cup.

Blysma and Shero may have frustrated people, but at least they got us to the show, Two Stanley Cup Finals and a Cup (I know Dan wasn't involved in the first SCF), one or two ECFs, and some second rounds sure beats barely or not making the playoffs at all, and for all of what 14/15 has given them, all it cost in return was their future for the next few years in picks and prospects. *sigh*

Although trading Tyler Seguin for that package turned out to be a dud. Joe Thornton fiasco all over again. Sorry if this post was confusing. Was bouncing back and forth between Boston and Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
If the Winnipeg Jets win today, sounds like they will have clinched their first playoff birth (sans their one season as the Atlanta Thrashers), and the first time a NHL team in Winnipeg will have made the post season in 19 years! I hope they can pull it off. It's been a long time coming and would make for a great story.

Most teams and their fans shouldn't want them in there... because they're a difficult team to match up against.

:goodpost: :exactly: Went to last nights game at Prudential. Was pretty sweet to see the boys clinch the President's Trophy, sweep the season series vs the Devils, and listen to the Devil fans boo their team off center ice to end their season. ;)

Very nice!! Yeah that was priceless, getting booed by their own fans :lol

To be fair, they were playing with very little class for most of the game. Sore losers! Haha

JETS ARE IN! If we keep getting great goaltending, we can go far now that we can crush teams with 4 waves of lines. So much has been added at the trade deadline, we're a nightmare for most teams to match up against. Our defensive depth is not too shabby either.

Chiarot-Byfuglien
Enstrom-Myers
Stuart-Trouba
Harrison

Don't look now but Ondrej Pavelec has strung 3 shutouts in a row.

Only fear is how the pairing of Tyler Myers and Toby Enstrom match up against Cory Perry and Ryan Getzlaf. Myers gets caught in bad areas where quicker players get around him, because he's so awkward when he skates... Tobias is so small, Perry and Getzlaf will be able to manhandle him with their sheer size, power, and speed.

That's of course if we lose to Calgary on Saturday and play against Anaheim in the opening round. St. Louis is just as dangerous. Then there is Nashville.

Last edited:
Wow, hard to believe the Kings didn't make the playoffs. Shootouts just killed the Kings this year. Hawks and Preds in the 1st round. Should be a doozy.

Wow, hard to believe the Kings didn't make the playoffs. Shootouts just killed the Kings this year. Hawks and Preds in the 1st round. Should be a doozy.

:exactly: Can't believe they didn't make it. Hard to believe the Bruins or Pens will be watching from home as well.

The Bruins lose a shootout. It's a pretty fitting end to this awful season.

Good luck to you guys that will have horses in the race. Time to jump aboard the Sens bandwagon or at least the anyone, but the Habs wagon.:)

Yay we squeaked in... Unless Erhoff comes back we lose 5 to the Rags

Caps vs blues final, with the blues winning it all in 7

Back