NFL Teams Reputation / What are they known for?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Knight_89

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi fellow football fans!

I had my Mum and Dad over for dinner on Sunday, and my Dad was asking me a lot of questions about the NFL and different teams etc. One thing we spoke about was how the Miami Dolphins and the Oakland Raiders were two of the most famous football teams (in England), but their popularity may or may not neccessarily be the same in the US.

So it had me thinking; what is the reputation or main defining characteristic of each NFL team? I'm talking about their reputation as a whole, not just neccessarily how you may feel about them because of recent antics or performances for example.

I'll start with a few, and see if anybody else can help me out;

Arizona Cardinals:

Atlanta Falcons: Have the occasional good season but never really take advantage and push forward for a Conference title

Baltimore Ravens: Solid defensive team, always well managed

Buffalo Bills: The team you wish could win a Super Bowl

Carolina Panthers:

Chicago Bears: Tough defensive team, loyal and passionate support

Cincinnati Bengals:

Cleveland Browns:

Dallas Cowboys: Their time as "America's Team" has been over for a few years now

Denver Broncos: High quality team, regularly have a strong QB leading them

Detroit Lions:

Green Bay Packers: Championship team, great fans, good consistent history

Houston Texans:

Indianapolis Colts: Controversial in their move to Indianapolis, but have been successful since then

Jacksonville Jaguars: Military, but questionable as to whether the expansion was needed?

Kansas City Chiefs: Arrowhead. Noise.

Miami Dolphins: Synonymous with the game. The only undefeated Super Bowl Champions

Minnesota Vikings:

New England Patriots: A Marmite team, you either love or hate them. Rightly or wrongly associated with cheating

New Orleans Saints:

New York Giants: A roller coaster team with a long successful history

New York Jets:

Oakland Raiders: Easy for other teams to hate. Rowdy fans

Philadelphia Eagles: Probably the same as Oakland?

Pittsburgh Steelers: Good defensive team, most Super Bowl wins in history.

San Diego Chargers:

San Francisco 49ers: The team of the 80's, good decision making in recent seasons has seen them rise to prominence once again

Seattle Seahawks: Rowdy fans, great atmosphere in CenturyLink Field

St Louis Rams:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

Tennessee Titans:

Washington Redskins:

Please note, I am English and live in England, so my knowledge of the teams will not be as good as those of you from the US. However, I have been a fan of the NFL since 1997 (I was 8), so my opinions may not be as bad or inaccurate as some of you may think :wink1:

Hi fellow football fans!

I had my Mum and Dad over for dinner on Sunday, and my Dad was asking me a lot of questions about the NFL and different teams etc. One thing we spoke about was how the Miami Dolphins and the Oakland Raiders were two of the most famous football teams (in England), but their popularity may or may not neccessarily be the same in the US.

So it had me thinking; what is the reputation or main defining characteristic of each NFL team? I'm talking about their reputation as a whole, not just neccessarily how you may feel about them because of recent antics or performances for example.

Arizona Cardinals:

Atlanta Falcons: Have the occasional good season but never really take advantage and push forward for a Conference title

Carolina Panthers:

Chicago Bears: Formerly a tough defensive team who previously relied heavily on defense to keep games close enough to win with mediocre offense. Now transitioning to a more offense-minded team. In this previous off-season hired an offensive-minded head coach; who I believe may be the first offense specific head coach the Bears have had. (Yes Mike Ditka played tight-end but came to the Bears as a Special-Teams coach) (FYI Mike Ditka is the coach who led the Bears to their 1985 Super Bowl win). Defense is now in the process of an overhaul as the players who had played in their system and made it successful are now old and bad drafts have left them with no younger players to step in.

Cincinnati Bengals:

Cleveland Browns:

Dallas Cowboys: Their time as "America's Team" has been over for a few years now

Detroit Lions:

Houston Texans:

Indianapolis Colts: Controversial in their move to Indianapolis, but have been successful since then

Jacksonville Jaguars: Military, but questionable as to whether the expansion was needed?

Miami Dolphins: Synonymous with the game. The only undefeated Super Bowl Champions

Minnesota Vikings:

New England Patriots: A Marmite team, you either love or hate them. Rightly or wrongly associated with cheating

New Orleans Saints:

New York Jets:

San Diego Chargers:

San Francisco 49ers: The team of the 80's, good decision making in recent seasons has seen them rise to prominence once again

St Louis Rams:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

Tennessee Titans:

Washington Redskins:

Please note, I am English and live in England, so my knowledge of the teams will not be as good as those of you from the US. However, I have been a fan of the NFL since 1997 (I was 8), so my opinions may not be as bad or inaccurate as some of you may think :wink1:

Fixed the Chicago Bears.

Carolina Panthers: Sam Mills and Keep Pounding - The spirit of Keep Pounding encourages cancer patients, survivors and their loved ones to always "Keep Pounding" to overcome obstacles in their lives, just as we hope that someday a cure will be found and cancer will be overcome. "When I found out I had cancer, there were two things I could do -- quit or keep pounding. I’m a fighter. I kept pounding. You’re fighters, too. Keep pounding!" - Sam Mills, linebacker and couch.

But outside of Carolina we are probably best known for Steve Smith and his witty, funny and sometimes questionable trash talk. ICE UP, SON. ICE UP.

Fixed the Chicago Bears.

Interesting, I take you're not a Bears fan?

Carolina Panthers: Sam Mills and Keep Pounding - The spirit of Keep Pounding encourages cancer patients, survivors and their loved ones to always "Keep Pounding" to overcome obstacles in their lives, just as we hope that someday a cure will be found and cancer will be overcome. "When I found out I had cancer, there were two things I could do -- quit or keep pounding. I’m a fighter. I kept pounding. You’re fighters, too. Keep pounding!" - Sam Mills, linebacker and couch.

But outside of Carolina we are probably best known for Steve Smith and his witty, funny and sometimes questionable trash talk. ICE UP, SON. ICE UP.

I do like Steve Smith haha. I didn't know about Keep Pounding? Interesting.

I really thought the Panthers would get to the NFC Conference game this year.

That's funny how the Dolphins and Raiders are more popular in the UK, I'm sure due to their having more games over there than other teams. But really, neither has been very good as far as NFL teams go over the last decade or so. I'll try to write up something about the Saints when I get some more time later today.

With the 49ers I'd sum it up as:

A team that never found meaningful success until the arrival of Bill Walsh arrived and became the team of the 80's. With great players like Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice and Steve Young, they went on to become the first team to win 5 Super Bowls. After being hit by the implementation of the salary cap, the 49ers are just now once again one of the premier teams in the league.

Or something along those lines...

The Pats for their first 41 years of existence were a laughing stock with a string of terrible owners. Nomads who changed stadiums every few years and then when they finally had one of their own it was a total POS. In their one shining moment of the dark years they got lambasted by the Bears at SB20. Things began to change in January 1994 when Robert Kraft purchased the team saving it from moving to St. Louis.

Since '94 the Patriots have won 6 AFC titles and 3 SBs. I would say sometime after the third SB title, what I'd call Patriot fatigue had set in. Many people were sick of the Patriots and when camera-out-of-placegate came up it gave the haters a chance to point at something to disparage the titles. Although they haven't won the SB since the controversy they have been to 2 SBs narrowly losing both. With the one of the youngest rosters in the NFL, the future looks bright.

That's funny how the Dolphins and Raiders are more popular in the UK, I'm sure due to their having more games over there than other teams. But really, neither has been very good as far as NFL teams go over the last decade or so. I'll try to write up something about the Saints when I get some more time later today.

I would disagree... the Raiders have never played in England (to my knowledge) and the Dolphins have played just once, so their popularity here is nothing to do with them playing here. I think it's to do with both teams being marketed heavily abroad. And Ace Ventura helped raise awareness of the Miami Dolphins. Raiders gave a logo that a lot if fake 'gangstas' like to wear here too.

Hi fellow football fans!

Arizona Cardinals:

Carolina Panthers:

Chicago Bears: Tough defensive team, loyal and passionate support

Cincinnati Bengals:

Cleveland Browns:

Detroit Lions:

Houston Texans:

Minnesota Vikings:

New Orleans Saints:

New York Jets:

San Diego Chargers:

St Louis Rams:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

Tennessee Titans:

Washington Redskins:

So Saints. They were the definition of mediocrity for most of their history. Even when they had great, hall of fame players like Tom Dempsey, Archie Manning, Morten Anderson, or Willie Roaf, they were surrounded by crappy players and coaches most of the time. Saints didn't get to the playoffs very much until the 2000s, and never won a playoff game until 2000 (franchise was created in the mid-1960s). In 2006, Sean Payton and Drew Brees came in and revitalized the team. They became known for offensive excellence, though their defense wasn't very good, and they have been consistent playoff contenders since, winning the Superbowl in 2009. They do have a reputation for only being able to play well in controlled, in-door conditions. Particularly at home in the Superdome. A reputation pretty well deserved. They won their first road playoff game ever (not counting the Superbowl) this year against the Eagles.

I would disagree... the Raiders have never played in England (to my knowledge) and the Dolphins have played just once, so their popularity here is nothing to do with them playing here. I think it's to do with both teams being marketed heavily abroad. And Ace Ventura helped raise awareness of the Miami Dolphins. Raiders gave a logo that a lot if fake 'gangstas' like to wear here too.
Huh. They seem to send lesser teams to the UK every year, and the Raiders usually fit that bill, so I just assumed they would have been there. There was some cultural interest in the Raiders in the U.S. in the early '90s, because NWA were fans, and they had a huge impact on style. Dolphins are just kind of an average team with average level of interest here, as far as I know.

A team that never found meaningful success until the arrival of Bill Walsh arrived and became the team of the 80's. With great players like Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice and Steve Young, they went on to become the first team to win 5 Super Bowls. After being hit by the implementation of the salary cap, the 49ers are just now once again one of the premier teams in the league.

As a 49er fan I would agree with this although if we're being honest I'd add that Harbaugh has come in and driven the team to dominance but they haven't achieved it fully because of the decision to take a new QB in Kaepernick and wait out his maturation in the NFL.

I love Kap (I know many don't Non Niner fan and Niner fan alike) but you can't deny that no matter how talented and athletic he is, he needs some more "smoothing" before the 49ers can crest that Super Bowl Championship and if they do it right they'll get more than a few with this current squad (or as current as they can keep it)

I would mostly agree with this to be honest!

There are plenty far worse run teams in the NFL alone.

Oh really? From what I have seen they appear to be the worst run team, and a lot of my friends in America seem to agree. What other teams fit the bill?

The Pats for their first 41 years of existence were a laughing stock with a string of terrible owners. Nomads who changed stadiums every few years and then when they finally had one of their own it was a total POS. In their one shining moment of the dark years they got lambasted by the Bears at SB20. Things began to change in January 1994 when Robert Kraft purchased the team saving it from moving to St. Louis.

Since '94 the Patriots have won 6 AFC titles and 3 SBs. I would say sometime after the third SB title, what I'd call Patriot fatigue had set in. Many people were sick of the Patriots and when camera-out-of-placegate came up it gave the haters a chance to point at something to disparage the titles. Although they haven't won the SB since the controversy they have been to 2 SBs narrowly losing both. With the one of the youngest rosters in the NFL, the future looks bright.

I am surprised the Pats have not had another Super Bowl win since '04. In some ways they are similar to Arsenal, my English football team in London, but only in the sense of the high levels of success in the early - mid 2000's and then being on the cusp of greatness since then but just not quite going all the way. In other ways we are completely different though.

Haha

Actually it's the contrary. The problem is i love them too much.

Whilst I am yet to settle on one team to follow, the Chicago Bears have always been a team I've been fond of.

While winning a Super Bowl would be great for the Buffalo Bills I'll just settle to make the playoffs!

In the UK they show the NFL on Sky Sports 1, and the host is an American called Kevin Cadle and he's a big Buffalo Bills fan... always preaching about how their time will come!

So Saints. They were the definition of mediocrity for most of their history. Even when they had great, hall of fame players like Tom Dempsey, Archie Manning, Morten Anderson, or Willie Roaf, they were surrounded by crappy players and coaches most of the time. Saints didn't get to the playoffs very much until the 2000s, and never won a playoff game until 2000 (franchise was created in the mid-1960s). In 2006, Sean Payton and Drew Brees came in and revitalized the team. They became known for offensive excellence, though their defense wasn't very good, and they have been consistent playoff contenders since, winning the Superbowl in 2009. They do have a reputation for only being able to play well in controlled, in-door conditions. Particularly at home in the Superdome. A reputation pretty well deserved. They won their first road playoff game ever (not counting the Superbowl) this year against the Eagles.

Huh. They seem to send lesser teams to the UK every year, and the Raiders usually fit that bill, so I just assumed they would have been there. There was some cultural interest in the Raiders in the U.S. in the early '90s, because NWA were fans, and they had a huge impact on style. Dolphins are just kind of an average team with average level of interest here, as far as I know.

Actually we have had some very good teams visit the UK;

NFL International Series

2007 - New York Giants v Miami Dolphins (Giants went on to win the Super Bowl)

2008 - San Diego Chargers v New Orleans Saints (Chargers won AFC West and went to the Divisional playoffs, Saints won the Super Bowl the following season)

2009 - New England Patriots v Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Patriots won AFC East but lost Wild Card playoffs)

2010 - Denver Broncos v San Francisco 49ers (both teams were poor this year, but have improved dramatically in the 3 years since)

2011 - Chicago Bears v Tampa Bay Buccaneers (another year where both teams had mediocre years)

2012 - New England Patriots v St Louis Rams (New England won AFC East and went to the AFC Championship playoffs)

2013 Game 1 - Pittsburgh Steelers v Minnesota Vikings (Steelers narrowly missed the playoffs, and have obviously had a lot of recent success)

2013 Game 2 - San Francisco 49ers v Jacksonville Jaguars (49ers reached the NFC Championship playoffs)

So, overall, I think we've been treated to some good games with some great teams.

I wonder if this thread will get any more play since the season just started.

As for my team, the New York Giants: A club that has replaced its offensive identity with that of another, which will likely result in a total of 125 points scored on the season.

Back