Neytiri AVATAR Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has happened a couple times. Most notable being KOTCS Indy PF and Mark I Maquette (at least I think this one was changed).

From the Q&A: Monday, October 25th, 2010
The Neytiri statue’s hairline seems unfinished and not film accurate. She is also missing eyelashes and the hair on her tail (like it is in the film). Is the pictured statue finished, or will these issues be fixed?

Indeed, we have added Neytiri’s hairy poof on the tip of her tail. No other changes are planned, to either the eyelashes or hairline.

In sideshow answers they said they would add hair to the tail but were not going to change the hairline:monkey4

thx for the info. that's a bummer. good to know they got their priority right - fixing something that's in the back of the piece, instead of something that's staring at you directly.

Sideshow does tweek things more often than you might think, both in response to fan feedback and because of the desire of the design team or the license holders to see things altered. They've done repaints like on Firefly, and even added additional swap-out parts including additional heads. They even do full re-sculpts when they aren't satisfied with how something is turning out.

I've said this in here before, the reason for the hairline is because the hair needs to be cast as a separate piece due to the way it is sculpted to flow free from the body. For that reason, the hairline won't look blended to the forehead. But for $300 instead of $1000, I'll blend the hairline myself.
you can sculpt the hairline into the forehead, and then cast the hair extension as a separate piece. come on, hottoys or even neca does it that way for their 7" figures all the time. that's a $15 toy. this being a $300, the sculptors cannot be so easily satisfied.

thx for the info. that's a bummer. good to know they got their priority right - fixing something that's in the back of the piece, instead of something that's staring at you directly.

you can sculpt the hairline into the forehead, and then cast the hair extension as a separate piece. come on, hottoys or even neca does it that way for their 7" figures all the time. that's a $15 toy. this being a $300, the sculptors cannot be so easily satisfied.

Agreed 100%
The Legacy piece looks like it may be Neytiri's ugly sister, but that is not Neytiri

It does for me.
lb006.png

Looks great, but I really like the Sideshow pose with the Exclusive knife.

Where the heck is this on the site? I dont see it anywhere?

Chris

Lack of glass/acrylic eyes is a deal-killer for me on the Legacy piece. If EVER there was a statue that needed them it's this one. With more lifelike representations being developed all the time (PF Crete Paratrooper for ex.) I'm really disappointed SS/Legacy didn't take the opportunity to live up to Cameron's technological invention and knock this one out of the park with realistic eyes. Big let down on that score.

^ same way weta messed up some of their lotr pieces i guess. i mean, how could the effect company who worked on the films themselves, and have access to all the data and resources, fail to capture 100% accuracy for their products based on those films?

Lack of glass/acrylic eyes is a deal-killer for me on the Legacy piece. If EVER there was a statue that needed them it's this one. With more lifelike representations being developed all the time (PF Crete Paratrooper for ex.) I'm really disappointed SS/Legacy didn't take the opportunity to live up to Cameron's technological invention and knock this one out of the park with realistic eyes. Big let down on that score.
:lecture

^ same way weta messed up some of their lotr pieces i guess. i mean, how could the effect company who worked on the films themselves, and have access to all the data and resources, fail to capture 100% accuracy for their products based on those films?

:lecture

My guess would be, they have different people working on the movies, and different people (should I say, less skilled) working on the collectibles!

I can't find any other logical explanation.
Neytiri sculpture is really beautiful, but I agree that something is a bit off, there is definitely too much forehead, and eyes should be glass. For the price they'll ask for it, there is no reason that eyes aren't glass!

First off, if any of you guys think movie props are of a better quality than collectibles just because they look great on screen, you're :cuckoo:. Most movie props look like absolute crap in person, because they are made as quickly as possible, and they are not made to last. Movie lighting, post production, and fast shots make props look great, but they almost always aren't.

Additionally, the collectibles makers are often former movie prop makers. It's much more difficult to make something look great close up in your hand than it is to make it look good enough for the screen.

That said, I saw the Legacy piece at Sideshow yesterday, and it is very impressive. Huge. Definitely a collection dominator in size. The forehead issue didn't stand out to me in person.

That said, I saw the Legacy piece at Sideshow yesterday, and it is very impressive. Huge. Definitely a collection dominator in size. The forehead issue didn't stand out to me in person.

Have you seen the new Timber that will be included with the next Snake Eyes figure in person too? Does that also look pretty impressive?

Looks like the pictures. The Sideshow version is my personal choice for the money. If the 3' Legacy piece would go with anything in my collection instead of being the 1 gigantic piece in my house that cost more than I could afford, I'd be on that, too. Maybe after two sequels, when I have fallen more in love with the characters, I'll wish I had gotten the Legacy piece.

Cool, good to know. I know I'm personally pretty psyched for the sideshow piece. It's really dynamic if you ask me and captures the character really well.

Lookin forward to those sequels :banana

First off, if any of you guys think movie props are of a better quality than collectibles just because they look great on screen, you're :cuckoo:. Most movie props look like absolute crap in person, because they are made as quickly as possible, and they are not made to last. Movie lighting, post production, and fast shots make props look great, but they almost always aren't.

Additionally, the collectibles makers are often former movie prop makers. It's much more difficult to make something look great close up in your hand than it is to make it look good enough for the screen.

Thanks for that info SilentSurfer. How did the eyes look, if you don't mind my asking? That is the only thing i'm really concerned about. Was the piece you saw the prototype, or an actual production piece?

Back