Newbie from New York!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellaMia42

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Been visiting the forum for a few months and finally decided to join. I discovered Sideshow when I saw Hot Toys Loki being advertised and couldn’t believe how lifelike it looked and I've been hooked ever since. I just got into this hobby but I have been collecting Batman stuff for years and I can’t wait to start my 1/6 scale Batman collection!

I’ve always loved crafts and DIY projects and have been really inspired by all the Batman dioramas various board members have been creating and hope to be able to start making my own at some point. Oh and I’ve really enjoyed reading the posts and have picked up some great advice from everyone.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what Sideshows SPOOKTACULAR is like. Do they actually offer significant discounts that can be applied to any item? I’m asking because I’m trying to decide if I should pre-order some figures with an NRD (like the Bat-pod and DX11) or try to wait till SPOOKTACULAR and see if I can get a good discount that is larger than the reward points I would be getting. I think waiting for the Bat-pod might be cutting it too close but maybe not for the DX11, what do you guys think?

Also if anyone is from the NYC area, can you recommend good local hobby shops or hobby chain stores (I only know of Michaels) in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Thanks :)

Welcome from a fellow New Yorker, I don't do the 1/6 thing since I'm a grown man, lol j/k

As far as hobby shops there is Big Apple Hobbies in flushing they got pretty much anything you need.

wavesmile.gif
:welcome1: to the :FREAK: Show, BellaMia! :duff
wavesmile.gif

Welcome from a fellow New Yorker, I don't do the 1/6 thing since I'm a grown man, lol j/k

As far as hobby shops there is Big Apple Hobbies in flushing they got pretty much anything you need.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Just wanted to give you a heads up that I went to the Big Apple Hobbies website and it says "We are sorry to announce that we are closing our retail store", but they're keeping their online store so at least they're not completely gone.

Hey fellow NYer. IDK what kinds of DIY things you're into but the whole vinyl figure DIY thing has really been taking off over the last couple of years.

You should check out KidRobot on Prince St. It's half retail store and half museum. One of my favorite artists RSIN just had one of his pieces put into production. You should check out his Flickr page. AWESOME STUFF!

Hey everyone! Been visiting the forum for a few months and finally decided to join. I discovered Sideshow when I saw Hot Toys Loki being advertised and couldn’t believe how lifelike it looked and I've been hooked ever since. I just got into this hobby but I have been collecting Batman stuff for years and I can’t wait to start my 1/6 scale Batman collection!

I’ve always loved crafts and DIY projects and have been really inspired by all the Batman dioramas various board members have been creating and hope to be able to start making my own at some point. Oh and I’ve really enjoyed reading the posts and have picked up some great advice from everyone.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what Sideshows SPOOKTACULAR is like. Do they actually offer significant discounts that can be applied to any item? I’m asking because I’m trying to decide if I should pre-order some figures with an NRD (like the Bat-pod and DX11) or try to wait till SPOOKTACULAR and see if I can get a good discount that is larger than the reward points I would be getting. I think waiting for the Bat-pod might be cutting it too close but maybe not for the DX11, what do you guys think?

Also if anyone is from the NYC area, can you recommend good local hobby shops or hobby chain stores (I only know of Michaels) in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Thanks :)

Welcome to this great hobby and great board!

I'm a NYer and into 1/6 (and a grown man) and really the only good place to find a good selection of quality 1/6 stuff is Forbidden Planet in Manhattan.

As per hobby shops, there's Michael's, but truth be told I've been there twice and never really find much. Blick Art Supplies has some items you might find useful.

Over on the One Sixth Warriors forum we're trying to get together with other serious customizers to share our work, discuss technique and current/future projects. Check it out and may be you'll be interested in joining us!

Eric

Back