New from Inflames Toys-齊天大圣 The monkey king

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want it. I'm kind of overwhelmed with pre-orders for the next few months. I hope I don't miss my chance.

A few questions :)

- Does the figure come with a stand at all?

- Any other reviews on the built quality of the figure?

- Any news on whether the rest of the Journey to the West gang will be made?

I'll probably only get this if the others are made too.....

A few questions :)

- Does the figure come with a stand at all?

- Any other reviews on the built quality of the figure?

- Any news on whether the rest of the Journey to the West gang will be made?

I'll probably only get this if the others are made too.....

No, it doesn't come with a stand. I haven't had a look at the body yet, but I will hopefully put it together this weekend. I'll post a bit of a review with pics. I haven't seen any other reviews or posts about it yet; maybe I got mine early? The only other JttW figure that I know of is the Pigsy figure from BBK (there is a pic on p. 9 of this thread).

Okay. I had the day off work today, so I assembled the figure. Please forgive the crappy photos and the lack of futzing. I'll do this in couple of posts so there isn't just one enormous one.

Here's what the figure looked like straight out of the box:
8067784282_d3b038d367.jpg

The body is similar to a Hot Toys TrueType, with the same articulation: ball-joint neck, ball and front-to-back swivel shoulders, cut bicep, double hinge elbows and knees, waist and chest joints, ball hips, cut thigh, and double-ball ankles. I didn't take the pajamas off because I'm lazy and I was afraid I couldn't get them back on correctly.
8067785077_35794d0ce1.jpg

The wrists pegs are different from a TT though:
8067782770_a3560d9359.jpg

He comes with three extra hands. The one in the upper left is the standard staff-grip hand, then he's got a splayed-finger left, a knife-hand left, and a sword finger right.
8067782814_69089a7ca5.jpg

Here is a detail of the staff. It has some writing on it, but I have no idea what it says; if anyone can see it well enough, would you mind translating?
8067782878_46e034559e.jpg

Here are the two waist wraps and the belt drape or whatever you call it:
8067783268_2256ea739d.jpg

And here are all the armor pieces. In the top left are the two shoulder straps. Below them are the back armor and the waist belts (a short one and a long one that fasten together). In the middle is the belt and leg armor pieces, then the vest and shoulder armor in the bottom right and the chest armor in the upper right.
8067783142_2d531366bf.jpg

The leg and shoulder armor pieces are interesting. They are a piece of soft, rubbery plastic on top and pleather on the bottom (like the vest and belts). Between these two layers, there are pieces of pliable metal, which allow you to bend them into the shape you want. This was a very nice surprise!

This figure is covered in great details. Here's a closeup of the short waist belt as an example:
8067783078_93bd67a66b.jpg

In the next post, I'll start putting the outfit together.

Here is the bottom layer of clothes—what I'm calling his pajamas. This is in two pieces. The pants are tied at the waist and just below the knees. The bottom of the pant legs are asymmetrical, so that the front of the shin guards are visible. The shirt has two ties, one underneath at his left side and one on top at the right. It also has tiny snaps at the neck and at his right side. The shoes are a hard plastic, and he has fabric spats that cover the top of his feet inside them. The shin and wrist guards are hard plastic, with some really nice detail, and the ruffles at the wrists and ankles are sculpted on.
8067785019_cfa4e4a17d.jpg

The next layer is his robe. As you can see, it's very nicely detailed, with embroidered gold landscape (heaven?). The black and gold trim is glittery, which I worry may be fragile, but I didn't have any sparkles fall off. It attaches in the same way as the pajama top: two ties and two snaps. There are wires along the sides and bottom of the skirt part, and along the ends of the sleeves, so this could be posed much better than I have here.
8067784064_363375514c.jpg
8067783982_d204fdc028.jpg

Next comes the protective coat. This is just a thin piece of fabric that slides over the head like a poncho and attaches with two snaps on each side of the waist and one snap under each arm.
8067783932_887c5a73be.jpg

The next step is his shoulder and thigh armor. The shoulder armor is attached to a pleather vest that closes with three bra hooks at the front. The armor then ties to the arms. The sleeves were a little difficult to get through the vest's arm holes, but I didn't damage it getting the vest on, so I'm happy. The thigh armor is attached to a pleather belt with a metal buckle. Like I said in the last post, the armor has metal in it so that you can bend it to shape.
8067783862_9ca6b02671.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of the back armor from the back (!), but here's what it looks like in front. This was surprisingly the hardest part to assemble. It wraps around the waist and ties in two spots with string, but the runs through two holes, high and low, on each side of the armor, so when you try to tie the top strings together, the lower ones just pull through the holes, and vice versa. I ended up having to clamp the string with binder clips so it wouldn't slip and hold the armor in place while I got my wife to tie the knots.
8067783784_f330efeb19.jpg

Now the chest armor. This attaches to the two shoulder straps, which have little clips that push through holes on the chest and back armor.
8067783684_48e1d4314f.jpg

And the cummerbund. I expected this to be the hardest part, with that weird knot in the middle, but the directions were very clear on how to tie that, so it turned out to be very easy. It has two snaps at the back, then the rope wraps around front, into that knot, then back around to be tied off in the back.
8067783630_389d9e019f.jpg

The blue waist wrap is next. This just ties with some ribbon, very simple.
8067783550_2c2e0f3d73.jpg
8067783488_bc45d77806.jpg

The final pieces are the main belt, which is actually two belts, and the loin guard. There is a small belt with two buckles in the shape of dragon or lion heads and a long one with flat ends. The long one goes in front, with the buckles on each end at the back.
8067783408_f5b47489d0.jpg

The interesting part is that the loin guard or whatever it is attaches to the belt this way:
8067784011_ac35909ca2.jpg
8067783963_da4492ac7d.jpg

The loin guard has a bow and a long ribbon or scarf with wires in it. There is also another of these long ribbon/scarf-things that just wraps around his neck. Here's the finished figure:
8067784285_33de2704d7.jpg

I didn't mention the headsculpt. It's very nice, cleanly sculpted and well painted (no slop). It's all matte, except for the eyes, which are gloss. The crown is sculpted onto the head, but it also ties at the chin with tiny strings. This came undone and was a pain to retie, but it looks pretty good now:
8068243145_887ecede61.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic!! How are the joints? Are they as bad as what I've heard Enterbay joints are?? Any risk of breaking anything?

The Enterbay figures I have all have stiff joints, but I've heard the horror stories. The InFlames body is not as stiff as an HT figure, but most of the joints are tight. The ankles are a little loose, but not enough that it can't hold a pose, just enough that if you knock the shoe when you're moving the figure, the foot will move. I've got the figure on a stand just in case, but I think it would be fine without it. The shoulders are also a bit loose, so he can't hold his staff up very high if the arm pushes against the armor (lots of layers + heavy armor + slightly loose joint = no pose). Overall, the body is better than any Sideshow figure I've had but not as good as an HT body. The neck joint looks like a standard HT/EB ball and the hands would fit HT pegs, so you could swap the head to a different body very easily.

Nothing was broken on mine, and I didn't break anything with my clumsy handling, so I think there is not much to worry about. None of the parts are particularly delicate, except maybe the little arm that holds up the red ball on his crown. It's flexible, so you'd have to bend it pretty hard to break it though. I worry about the hand pegs, since I don't have any that would replace them, but I swapped the hands a few times with no trouble.

The Enterbay figures I have all have stiff joints, but I've heard the horror stories. The InFlames body is not as stiff as an HT figure, but most of the joints are tight. The ankles are a little loose, but not enough that it can't hold a pose, just enough that if you knock the shoe when you're moving the figure, the foot will move. I've got the figure on a stand just in case, but I think it would be fine without it. The shoulders are also a bit loose, so he can't hold his staff up very high if the arm pushes against the armor (lots of layers + heavy armor + slightly loose joint = no pose). Overall, the body is better than any Sideshow figure I've had but not as good as an HT body. The neck joint looks like a standard HT/EB ball and the hands would fit HT pegs, so you could swap the head to a different body very easily.

Nothing was broken on mine, and I didn't break anything with my clumsy handling, so I think there is not much to worry about. None of the parts are particularly delicate, except maybe the little arm that holds up the red ball on his crown. It's flexible, so you'd have to bend it pretty hard to break it though. I worry about the hand pegs, since I don't have any that would replace them, but I swapped the hands a few times with no trouble.

Sounds great!!! I just wish they would announce they would make the rest of the JttW group! Then I would definitely buy!

Wow. Not a figure I'm personally all that interested in, but it certainly looks like you get a lot for your money.

Back