New Buffy Line Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the market was being flooded with Buffy product (like it is with Hulks, Thors, and Wolverines), I can see why some artists would want to offer a new take (even if non-representative) on Willow and Faith, for example. However, since we're clearly not bein inundated with Buffy statues, why stray away as far? I mean, at first glance, my first thought was that the designer of the Willow statue either wasn;t a fan of the show or simply doesn't "get" the charcater. In fact, it may as well be Bizarro world Willow.

That's not to say the Willow isn't nice.
It's more to say that it isn't the Willow I knew.

That's a good point and I honestly don't have an answer for that. I do see where everyone is coming from though. It's certainly not the innocent, tom-boyish Willow of Season 1 they we were all introduced to in the beginning.

What am happy with though is that Sideshow is putting some thought into this line (whether some feel it's good or bad.) Like I said last night, that base for Willow if it is what I think it is (and I'm pretty sure it is :lol) is phenomenal. And that, all in itself, shows to me that Sideshow is really making an attempt with this line.

If the market was being flooded with Buffy product (like it is with Hulks, Thors, and Wolverines), I can see why some artists would want to offer a new take (even if non-representative) on characters like Willow and Faith, for example. However, since we're clearly not being inundated with Buffy statues, why stray away as far? I mean, at first glance, my initial thought was that the designer of the Willow statue either wasn't a fan of the show or simply doesn't "get" the character. In fact, it may as well be a Bizarro world Willow.

That's not to say the Willow isn't nice.
It's more to say that it isn't the Willow I know.

Exactly. I'm glad It's not just me then. :goodpost:

holy crap!!!!! I was originally gonna pass on willow, but I'm going to start rethinking about completing this line. FAITH IS EXCELLENT!!!! I better start to seriously rethink on what figures to cut back to afford her! wow! what a nice preview!!!

Hmm, thinking about it now, do you think the price of these would be cheaper than the buffy figure? I mean, buffy got this really big elaborate thorne and base, willow and faith have smaller bases

Last edited:
holy crap!!!!! I was originally gonna pass on willow, but I'm going to start rethinking about completing this line. FAITH IS EXCELLENT!!!! I better start to seriously rethink on what figures to cut back to afford her! wow! what a nice preview!!!

:goodpost:

I'm telling you all. For those of you who don't already, get Buffy while you can, at the very least.

This line is about to kick it up a notch.

Hmm, thinking about it now, do you think the price of these would be cheaper than the buffy figure? I mean, buffy got this really big elaborate thorne and base, willow and faith have smaller bases

It might. It might not. Buffy definitely has the more elaborate base of the bunch, but prices on pieces seem to slowly increasing, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were all the same price.

I hope not though. I'd love a $200 price tag.

I loving what I can see of Faith, but Willow is not doing it for me. Now, I understand artistic license, but this looks to me to be just completely untrue to the character. Willow would never ever wear something like that. That was just so completely against her style and personality. For Faith, well, they even said she dressed like a total slut on the show, so I'm ok with her outfit being sexier, but Willow, no that's just wrong.

I'm totally agreed with Sue here. To have the hooker pose be the only representation of the character is just plain awful.

The Marvel line can get away with this because there are, not only a gazillion other Marvel products out there to differentiate from, but most females are drawn like hookers in comic books anyway.

Out of the 3 statues we've seen, the only one that "works" for me is Faith. That's probably because she's the only true "bad girl" in this series of bad girls.

I am kinda reserving my thoughts on Willow and Faith (really hoping it's a good one), until more images are posted. I have never been one to believe that burlap is silk just because someone says it is, and if there was not a name to the Throne of the Slayer I'd have no idea it was supposed to be SMG. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the Faith, since I am also not a completist, won't matter to me that I don't have a slayer from the supposedly same line. The artists at SideShow work really hard to deliver products to the fans and they can't be a winner with everybody, but I am happy that they are winners to some.

I'm so torn about Willow right now. I agree it's just not a Willow outfit, yet I wouldn't go as far to say she is dressed like a hooker.

I'll need to see more pics. I can't tell, Does she have cleavage? If so then yes, SS has gone too far with her outfit.

For one season only hon. BTVS prided itself in not showing unnecessarily high volumes of female flesh unlike AtS, so I think you've got a bit of selective memory there. If anything it was the male characters who showed the lots flesh and were exploited sexually. For damn change I might add. Buffy was aimed a tad more towards a female fanbase then I think blokes like to admit.

Dear god, do you know how insulting to her character that comes across?

Buffy very quickly reverted to wearing simple cloths and normally jeans. Even the PF is sporting an outfit that she only ever wore in one season 1 promo shot and never in the show. It's the blody men who seem to forever be obsessed with a version of Buffy that hardly even existed in the TV, let alone base merchandise on.

What they've done to poor Willow is simply pathetic in the extreme, but then I remember the show's nerdy Willow and not this skankish creation.

I have selective memory? She wore the mini dresses with boots number on more than one occasion in season 2. Rewatch the season. :)

btw I don't disagree with whatever was mentioned but I am in the group, if you don't like it, then don't buy it. Complaining about it won't change things unfortunately. Complaining is not productive anyway.

I have selective memory? She wore the mini dresses with boots number on more than one occasion in season 2. Rewatch the season. :)

btw I don't disagree with whatever was mentioned but I am in the group, if you don't like it, then don't buy it. Complaining about it won't change things unfortunately. Complaining is not productive anyway.

I have to say I agree 100% with Eli on this one. It is what it is. It's an interpretation. Nothing more. Nothing less.

All I know is I'm buying it.

And does anyone care to comment on Willow's base???? The other 50% of the statue that no one else has made mention of. :lol

Gachnar, anyone?

I have to say I agree 100% with Eli on this one. It is what it is. It's an interpretation. Nothing more. Nothing less.

All I know is I'm buying it.

It's not like Sue's view of things only represents a tiny faction of the Buffyverse fanbase. If she, and others who feels the same, don't speak up, next thing you know we'll be offered a Willow in a thong statue. It only "is what it is" if producers are led to believe that this is what fanbase wants, or wants to see more of.

While guys may be the predominant force in the statue collecting universe, in all fairness, girls are quite likely the predominant force in the Buffy Universe. Sideshow appears to have, at least imo, all but completely dismissed the preferences of this majority. Ultimately, this likely serves as a poignant commentary as to how the SS brass generally perceives the male statue collecting fanbase, which is that that skank sells over authenticity. While that may be true when we're talking about Ms. Marvel, I doubt the same goes for Willow.

I have NEVER seen a single request from any fan, male or female, for a skanky Willow.

JMO :)

Last edited:
It's not like Sue's view of things only represents a tiny faction of the Buffyverse fanbase. If she, and others who feels the same, don't speak up, next thing you know we'll be offered a Willow in a thong statue. It only "is what it is" if producers are led to believe that this is what fanbase wants, or wants to see more of.

While guys may be the predominant force in the statue collecting universe, in all fairness, girls are quite likely the predominant force in the Buffy Universe. Sideshow appears to have, at least imo, all but completely dismissed the preferences of this majority. Ultimately, this likely serves as a poignant commentary as to how the SS brass generally perceives the male statue collecting fanbase, which is that that skank sells over authenticity. While that may be true when we're talking about Ms. Marvel, I'm not sure the same goes for Willow.

I have NEVER seen a single request from any fan, male or female, for a skanky Willow.

JMO :)

Eli's point and the point I'm supporting is two-fold: 1.) complaining isn't going to solve much and 2.) it's Sideshow's interpretation, meaning it won't be 100% of the Willow, Faith, Buffy, etc. we all "know." (so don't expect it to be.)

Describing Willow's look as "skanky" among other things isn't going to get anything solved. I've read more complaining than anything else and if somebody is looking to get their voice heard, I would suggest a more constructive approach. From those people that don't like the sculpt, concept, etc., I've yet to hear one, genuinely positive comment from them. (And if that person can't find one, just one...then that's probably where the problem lies.) I've pointed out the base numerous times, and yet not cares to comment on that. It seems more people are focused on Willow's skirt. Yeah, it's Willow...in a skirt. Big deal. I wouldn't classify that as "skanky." I've seen a lot worse. :dunno While it's not necessarily something I tend to imagine Willow in, it's Sideshow's "twist." I respect that. That's the direction their crew wanted to take and so be it. As I said before, no one is ever going to make that perfect piece IMO and honestly, it won't be done because there's always some party out there that's not satisfied and ready to boycott it. Sideshow knows that and instead, they took this line in their own direction. It started with Buffy, will continue with Faith and Willow, and hopefully, will reach other characters of the Whedonverse because I'm liking it.

If people despise these new pieces that much, then they need to go post a comment on Sideshow's website. I've already posted my praise (minutes after the reveal went up), and yet I didn't see any comments about "skanks" on there. In fact, I haven't seen any negative comments yet, which translates to the idea that no male or female was offended enough to the point that they felt compelled to post. So apparently, not too many people are pushing for a change at this point.

Now, for the record (and I'm underlining this, so people don't fly off of their rocker): I'm NOT saying that ANYONE'S opinion is wrong. This is all my opinion. I love hearing everyone's opinion and bouncing ideas back and forth, even when I may not see eye-to-eye with them. That's why I come on these message boards. That's the whole point...to discuss stuff. This place rocks! :rock

The name-calling and complaining though is going a bit far because, as Eli said, won't change anything effectively. If anything, it's border-line disrespectful to Sideshow's artists, sculptors, painters, etc. (like Trevolver and Silent Surfer) that made this line possible. Between you and me, I'd like to see a Buffy line that will stay "afloat" for more than 4 pieces. I think this line has the potential to do that.

I think willow would look better in that plaid skirt or the overalls she always wore. the red shirt...not so much

Coveralls!!! :rock Now that I would like better. Classic Season 1, Willow.

This is making me want to to bust out Season 1 again.

Memories...:monkey2

I'm HEREERE. I was out with the family today. I have already seen Willow and Faith. Sorry, couldn't spill. They are wonderful. We will be ordering as soon as they go up for order.

Key word in bold.

This line is Sideshow's interpretation of the characters. There are busts, dolls, posters, action figures and ornaments galore that go for screen accuracy. Personally I'm thrilled with the deviation. And not because it's "skanky." IMO, "skanky" has more to do with how you behave than how you dress.

I think of these statues as more of a promotional photo-shoot for the show....like in-character pics of the stars, but slightly edgier to make for a more dramatic image.

Joss never had a problem playing up the sexiness when it suited him. I think he'd find all this "hooker" talk a bit prudish. And none of the actual, real life hookers I've seen look like these statues, that's for sure.

Joss never had a problem playing up the sexiness when it suited him. I think he'd find all this "hooker" talk a bit prudish. And none of the actual, real life hookers I've seen look like these statues, that's for sure.

Yet, Joss clearly chose to never present Willow in that fashion during a seven year span.
That's really the point which counts the most, I think.

I wonder how fans would feel if the Giles statue featured him in a speedo.
Or, let's take sex out of the equasion, and produce a Spike statue where he's wearing a Lebron James jersey and he's holding a basketball.

P.S. Skankiness isn't as much the issue as characterization. Fans would have made similar statements had Willow been wearing fisherman's gear. IMO, it's a shame the Whedonverse doesn't pull in the reins as much as Marvel does to insure its product remains very representative of the lore.

Back