Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN is official!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they gonna pretend everything after Aliens didn't happen?

PecsDRj.gif

That works for me :lol

People shouldn't be so hung up on Alien 3 and 4 continuity. I like 3, it's grown on me, but I wouldn't mind an alternate universe where 3 just never happened (especially if they bring Biehn back and he's good). Alien 3 traumatized me when I was younger with the Hicks and Newt corpses and that depressing, morbid world. I wouldn't mind that being "retconned" considering Alien 3 as a film still exists.

Alien Resurrection? I don't think anyone cares about that.

As for the beards, yeah, sure.

:exactly: same here... I wish they lived

hicks3.jpg

Alien 3 is way too depressing...

The sooner they clarify what this film is - if indeed Ripley and Hicks are in it and how they can be in it - the better.

Personally I've strongly gotten it into my head that the film will simply ignore Alien 3 and 4, making no reference to them at all and pretending they didn't happen - therefore it won't need to explain how Ripley and Hicks are alive and well. And it can simply be set 20-30 years after Aliens, accounting for their age.

However I don't know this for a fact. So, much as I'm confused by other people's confusion, I can't really say for sure that I'm right either until we get more information and the actors are signed.

People shouldn't be so hung up on Alien 3 and 4 continuity. I like 3, it's grown on me, but I wouldn't mind an alternate universe where 3 just never happened (especially if they bring Biehn back and he's good). Alien 3 traumatized me when I was younger with the Hicks and Newt corpses and that depressing, morbid world. I wouldn't mind that being "retconned" considering Alien 3 as a film still exists.

Alien Resurrection? I don't think anyone cares about that.

As for the beards, yeah, sure.

I liked Alien3 a lot at the time because it was so visual and so different. It was disappointing at the end of the day, but it has that sense of originality that the other two did. It was just butchered in production and post production. A mess. I would find it bizarre to drop it from the continuity though. I hated 4. Most of it. And it didn't feel like an Alien movie at all.

The sooner they clarify what this film is - if indeed Ripley and Hicks are in it and how they can be in it - the better.

Personally I've strongly gotten it into my head that the film will simply ignore Alien 3 and 4, making no reference to them at all and pretending they didn't happen - therefore it won't need to explain how Ripley and Hicks are alive and well. And it can simply be set 20-30 years after Aliens, accounting for their age.

However I don't know this for a fact. So, much as I'm confused by other people's confusion, I can't really say for sure that I'm right either until we get more information and the actors are signed.

Remember what Blomkamp said:

and part of it was just inspired by speaking to her on set when we were filming ‘Chappie,’ and getting her thoughts on ‘Alien’ and what she thought of the movies that came after ‘Aliens’ and what she felt about Ripley and what was incomplete for her about Ripley. There was so much fuel in what she was telling me.

I wonder what she told him... I don't know how she feels about Alien 3 and 4

I liked Alien3 a lot at the time because it was so visual and so different. It was disappointing at the end of the day, but it has that sense of originality that the other two did. It was just butchered in production and post production. A mess. I would find it bizarre to drop it from the continuity though. I hated 4. Most of it. And it didn't feel like an Alien movie at all.

It doesn't have to be dropped. This new film could simply be a diverging continuity. Both can still be considered official and both streams of films can still be watched, just not together in one single continuity because obviously they would totally conflict. This film would not be Alien 5. Rather Alien 3 (alternate)

Just like Superman Returns. Yeah you can watch Superman I-IV if you want OR you can watch Superman I, II and Superman Returns. Returns disregards Superman III and IV otherwise Lois should have a son in those films.

I love the stagey ****ed up mess of Alien 3 and I get a kick out of the slick, silly Resurrection but it wouldn't bother me in the least if they rebooted from the end of Aliens. Neither 3 or 4 really felt like true sequels to me. If anything, they felt like fanfic.....wouldn't it be cool if we just killed Newt for no reason? Wouldn't it be cool if Ripley was spliced with an Alien? Like internetzers who want to see a movie where Boba Fett skins wookies and flies around on his ass-burning jet pack for 2 hours.

It doesn't have to be dropped. This new film could simply be a diverging continuity. Both can still be considered official and both streams of films can still be watched, just not together in one single continuity because obviously they would totally conflict. This film would not be Alien 5. Rather Alien 3 (alternate)

Just like Superman Returns. Yeah you can watch Superman I-IV if you want OR you can watch Superman I, II and Superman Returns. Returns disregards Superman III and IV otherwise Lois should have a son in those films.

Diverging continuity? If you start that Terminator **** in here Andrew i'm reporting you.

Wow Rorywan, you're really not getting it are you? :lol

Once again: Just. Like. Superman. Returns.

Not Terminator.

:)

Ah, i was just taking the piss out of Andrew, every thread is a terminator thread within 2 or 3 of his posts.
:lol

I get it, but Aliens is too story dependent for me to accept that type of deal. Superman Returns is different, different versions exist already. It's about a character not a structured story. And even that failed in most peoples eyes because it tried to stick so closely to the original? A better comparison to what we are discussing, would be if Christopher Reeve had come back to act in a sequel to Superman II as an old man (forget about the wheelchair). But even that is a comic book interpretation, not Alien/Aliens.

Anyway I guess we will see. I would love a new Alien movie with Weaver in it, hopefully a good one.

If ALIENS 2 is a boring movie that does nothing but repeat the same scenario as the first film while Hicks stalks Ripley from outside her house then yeah, it'll be stupid too. Nobody is talking about SR's lame plot, just the fact that it offered an alternate "Part 3" for the series.

If ALIENS 2 is a boring movie that does nothing but repeat the same scenario as the first film while Hicks stalks Ripley from outside her house then yeah, it'll be stupid too. Nobody is talking about SR's lame plot, just the fact that it offered an alternate "Part 3" for the series.

But that only "worked" because it was a complete reinterpretation of the movies, new actors yada yada. And come on! Alien 3 & 4 may not be fantastic movies, but putting them in the same boat as Superman 3 & 4 isn't really fair? :lol I doubt anyone on the planet minded pretending those pieces of **** didn't exist. :lol

Hopefully this new Aliens movie has John William's Superman theme.

Back