Need some help ( wireless issues )

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I manually entered in all the correct IP and DNS info and those tests pass every time now. Now, I keep getting the MTU ( Maximum Transmission Unit ) failure when I try to use wireless. even though the setting is above what the 360 requires as a min.

so it seems the 360 is not "plug and play" easy after all?

Seems more like my router is crapping out. if ireboot it a few times then both 360's can connect. I have been having speed issues and random disconnects with my laptop at times too and have to reboot the router, but today was the first time I have issues with my 360. When I hook directly up to my modem with my 360 I can log on to Live every time with no issues.

maybe a weak signal from your ISP?
do you have the line split at all before it gets to the router?

maybe a weak signal from your ISP?
do you have the line split at all before it gets to the router?

If you mean poor signal from Verizon then no. My speeds are good and steady. No slpitting before the router either. Straight from the jack to the modem and modem to router. It's been set up this way for years. Oddly it seems to be working on both 360's right now. I really think my router is flaking out. It's nearly 5 years old now and maybe it's just about to die on me. Time for a new one me thinks.

how old is the router??? i called verizon once when i had problems and they sent a technician out who worked voodoo on the cable and stuff and hooked up a new router.

Youve prolly already done this but the first thing I would do is turn everything off, the modem, router, 360's, PC, everything. Then turn back on modem first, reset the router back to factory defaults (if you dont have any fancy port forwarding or permission setting or filters, if you do make sure you know what to put back in before erasing it all), then each individual component. Check and make sure the router has the latest Firmware also, it might help solve some issues.

You could go in the router settings and bind the MAC address of each component to an IP, and turn off DHCP. Or maybe change the IP range the DHCP is going to give out IP's. With my router its IP is 192.168.1.1, but I have the DHCP IP range set to 192.168.1.100-150

Try putting the components in the DMZ one at a time, see if that makes a difference, maybe the NAT firewall is interfering with something. The MTU is set to Auto on mine, but the big CISCO routers we work on in class have their MTU set to 1500 all the time.

I dont know what kind yours is but I used to have a D-Link WBR 2310 wireless router and it was a P.O.S to be honest. It dropped connection, was slow as hell sometimes, and would randomly reset itself. Once I got this WRT54G I havent had 1 single problem with it.

Or like you say, if its an old router, maybe it has just plain had the biscuit, and a new router might be in order. I'm sure you can pick one up for about 50 bucks, or even less if you want a used one off Ebay.

Ive got one of THESE and it works great. If you are looking to buy another one I would highly recommend it.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Slingblade,

Thanks for the advice. I reset everything to factory defaults and pushed the master reset button on the back of the router and then set it back up again. Everything seems to be working properly at the moment.

Slingblade,

Thanks for the advice. I reset everything to factory defaults and pushed the master reset button on the back of the router and then set it back up again. Everything seems to be working properly at the moment.

fingers crossed it will stay that way, Brother.

fingers crossed it will stay that way, Brother.

Seems to be working great on both 360's now. Yesterday I unplugged my router for about 30 min while I was getting all the power cords and such straightened out so I didn't have such a big mess of them under my desk and maybe when I fired it back up something just went nuts in it. No idea, but I am glad it's working now. What a headache this stuff can be.

Last edited:
Back