Need help with Sculpting Robots

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venom

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm working on my year 12 art project for school, and I currently sculpting 3 world war robot/Fallout 3 inspired robots. However I'm having trouble finding something that will smooth the sculpey down. I know you can buy these bottles of stuff that can assist in smoothing it down but does anyone know of something i can use from from the regular household? I'm limited in what i can use currently so yeah :). Hell after I'm done with these ill post pictures of them so you guys can have a look. I'm currently using the skin colored Super Sculpy if that helps.

I'm thinking acetone will do what you want. You are trying to make a bumpy/scratchy surface smooth, correct?

I'm thinking acetone will do what you want. You are trying to make a bumpy/scratchy surface smooth, correct?

Yep, and once I'm done i want to kinda texture to make it look like metal. Its just a pain trying to smooth down some areas which my sculpting tools cant.

92% alcohol, acetone, lighter fluid...
all of these will smooth your surface down to a certain degree, but if you need smoothness over large areas youre not going to avoid sanding after baking.
If your surface has broad highs lows, brushing on cutting fluids will only make you have smooth highs and lows. ... plan to sand .... :monkey1

Ah OK, is there any suggestions on how i could create a metal like texture? sort of like on those World War Robot figures?

I would think that after you get a good surface, one you are happy with in terms of smoothness; etc.

Take some sculpey and really, really thin it down. Maybe do a mixture with a little bit and some water, or rubbing alcohol. That way you could texture it similar to what people do with drywall compound.

I would think you could just dab it on with a brush or your finger, and then smooth it down a bit afterwards to get the desired effect.

The other option would be to create the effect of texture with paint.

Back