NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are actually quite a few unreleased prototypes that were shown in pictures, Julius, Conquest oranutan, gorillas with sergeant/lieutenant stripes, and from the tv series, General Urko and chimpanzee prefect ( the one with the eye patch) ..... so much potential, just nobody seemed to be buying them!

Sorry, but do anyone know of a thread for the Sideshow apes? I have just switched body and repainted all my old ones, so would love to see what other people are doing...

Sorry, but do anyone know of a thread for the Sideshow apes? I have just switched body and repainted all my old ones, so would love to see what other people are doing...

Search in here for the thread titled "save the planet of the apes new pix added" that one is quite old, but about 90% sideshow. Its full of Incredibly welcoming folks and some fantastic apes, both custom and otherwise.....

Yeah, seriously :(

I guess the line was canceled because of a lack of sales? I wonder if a petition to NECA would help in getting Julius released.

The SDCC bundle for series 3 was their worst-selling exclusive that year and as such there's really no valid path to releasing any more.

Has anyone else been reading the new Tales from the Forbidden Zone book?

I've read about half of it. It's all over the place as far as continuity goes. There's a story that's basically a new ep of the '74 TV series, a weird one that combines continuity for both TV series and the original movies via time travel, a couple that continue after the original movie disregarding the sequels etc.

I've read about half of it. It's all over the place as far as continuity goes. There's a story that's basically a new ep of the '74 TV series, a weird one that combines continuity for both TV series and the original movies via time travel, a couple that continue after the original movie disregarding the sequels etc.

I'm not that far in as I don't get too much time to read, but I'm enjoying what I've read so far. Wasn't massively fussed at the baboon story, as I'm too much of a nerd and not keen of them going outside the three main ape castes, whenever other material has done that it doesn't feel authentic to the classics...

Anyone doing any paint alterations to their apes? Here are a few WIP pictures, i know I have to clean up the edges, but what do you think? In hand the Blue doesn't pop as brightly as it does in the pictures.

IMG_4255_1.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4291.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

Very nice! I've had trouble getting paint to dry on the various flexible vinyl areas.... I'll post a pic tomorrow of the new character I came up with using the leftover bits from my Urko custom...

That looks sharp!

Thanks Amanaman!

Very nice! I've had trouble getting paint to dry on the various flexible vinyl areas.... I'll post a pic tomorrow of the new character I came up with using the leftover bits from my Urko custom...

What kind of paint are you using? I am using Tayami acrylic paints, no sticky - tacky problems to report.

Hi new to the forum, I'm 52 so no youngster 😂 but I only came across the neca figures a few months ago, always been a fan of pota as it was when I was brought up, anyway what fabulous figures they, I really don't understand why they would have made prototypes of figures they had no potential of selling? Sounds a bit of a cop out to me. I also don't understand why make 2 Dr zaius when there was others they could have done, I'm sure if they'd done those prototypes, some mutation humans and children apes like in the battle film they would have no need to end line

I guess they've always got to work ahead, assuming that they're going to sell, otherwise there would be huge gaps between waves. Hence there were a few figures at prototype stage when they took the decision to can the line. Its always going to be a massive missed opportunity for me, and I'll never understand the decision they took not to release a Taylor. That omission alone will always make the line seem incomplete to me.....

Yes no humans, child apes would have sold to I'm sure, 2 Dr zaius? Why not make a virgil instead? I'm sure the line would have been more successful had they done more figures medicom didn't do. As you say the line will always be incomplete as many important figures are missing.

I agree, the lack of including the protagonist - Taylor was what doomed this line. In this new age where information can be shared instantly the news of no plans to make a Charalton Heston - Taylor figure caused many collectors to abandon this line. Neca's undisclosed reason for this still baffles many of us. I loved this line and am glad they made the figures they did. Seeing that Photobucket hijacked all of my photos I am trying Flickr for the first time and am not sure if this photo will post but here goes, this one is of my current POTA display. I have most of my Neca stored away, just too many. At last count I had over 50 gorilla soldiers, :horror.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4335/37248440181_129d99af46_k.jpg

Last edited:
That's quite a collection, I've managed to get all the neca figures, readily available here in the UK on ebay and Amazon, you don't see them in stores, in fact I just picked up last week 6 sdcc sets from amazon for £10 each, I thought it was a mistake, but they all arrived, they certainly sell for considerably more, I can only guess they didn't realise what they were??. I found this line very late in the day so It nice they're still available but still gutted that's all there is, oh well.

What was necas reason? For me it seems pretty obvious, they didn't bother with important figures and just copied medicom leaving many out, I'm sure had they produced Taylor and nova it would still be going strong especially with those prototypes had they released them

What was necas reason? For me it seems pretty obvious, they didn't bother with important figures and just copied medicom leaving many out, I'm sure had they produced Taylor and nova it would still be going strong especially with those prototypes had they released them

I don't recall them ever giving a reason for not doing, at the very least, Taylor (but, they should have done him, Nova and Brent). Either it was the dumbest marketing decision, or despite their assertions to the contrary, they really didn't give a crap about the franchise. Not doing the humans was the reason I avoided the entire run altogether.

Back