NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a scalper market, Ebay! Just look at those prices. :horror
I know they are the same figures but the the real collector set is the 3pack bundle with the nice display box that is being randomly sold at ToysRuS. Thank you Protozauis, I would never have found a set here in all of CT.

Neca should just sell this line strictly from their site, cut out the distributors that request the bundle packs, and sell where the market is hot, which is here in the U.S. I remember Randy saying that the Asian market wasn't buying this line at all. Also, the back to back Dr.Zauis might have hurt this line from the start. It would be interesting to know how many of the figures Neca makes. Even Sidehow made figures from this license with edition sizes of only 500 world wide. It may also help Neca to give its fans voting polls so they can vote and show Neca which figures that they would be interested in. As a POTA fan though, I'd take them all.

Yeah, I'm looking at 'em... And I'm looking at a bunch of them not selling. Just because people have something listed for a crazy price on ebay doesn't mean it is actually selling for that. Of the completed auctions, I only see 6 that are the actual slipcased TRU/HAstings versions (the rest may use the pic, but the description shows they are the SDCC mailer box version currently available on NECA's site). I wouldn't call 6 completed auctions a scalper market.

And either way- NECA didn't create a scalper market (if you want to call it that). Folks paying those prices created it. NECA has gone out of their way every year to make Con exclusives as easy to get for everyone as they possibly could while still being able to call them "con exclusives" (and NECA didn't start that trend... it is a tactic used by EVERY major toy company). A lot of other companies don't make their exclusives available outside the con at all... And if they do, it is through a randomly timed flash sale, or with an altered version not as desirable as the con version (i.e. Mattel not including bonus characters like Gleek with the Wonder Twins). NECA tells you exactly when to go on, and they had an ample supply of Apes packs to go around.

Would we all like the slipcase? Sure. But that is one of the things that made it enticing enough for TRU/ Hastings to sign on for purchasing X amount of the figures to get the production cost justified. I can't blame NECA for taking that deal. Again- Work out the exclusive, or it doesn't happen at all. And it isn't like NECA is the only company doing a store exclusive... Every company does. But not every company gives you the option of buying it online (albeit with a different outer box).

As for your idea of "cutting out the distributors that request the bundle pack"... Well, that would mean the line is over. It is easy to armchair quarterback and say "well, if I ran the show figures would be available to everyone everywhere... just sell them direct and make it easy!". But for a business like NECA and a product like this, that model does NOT work. At least not right now. It works for Sideshow... but the usually cost of their figures are $200+, so the market doesn't need to be huge for that to work. It worked for Mattel (the largest toy company in the world)... but only just barely. The figures employ A LOT of parts re-use to keep costs down, they sell for around $30 each plus shipping, there are constant QC issues, and the customer service is the worst of all time.

And the only truly successful line at Mattycollector? He-Man... a toyline with a HUGE collector market that was ready to devour any product made when the line started. Everything else on the site has pretty much been a failure, even properties that would have seemingly been a success like Ghostbusters and Superman the Movie.

Now lets look at NECA's Apes to see if they would fit that model. Sure, there are some very passionate fans that would buy them- But how many would pay $30+ for them and be okay with more and more re-used parts and less and less accessories (like the He-Man fans do every month)? Look how many people have complained about paying $75 for the Series 3 Bundle. That was only $25 a figure, included tons of accessories, featured 3 new head sculpts, one entirely newly-tooled body, and had 3 long-requested characters in it. Now imagine them trying to sell a low-cost figure like a TV Gorilla Sgt on their site for $30 plus shipping... which is the equivalent of what Matty is doing with He-Man to make that line work with production costs. Do you honestly think there are enough of us out there that would pay $40 or more with shipping included to justify a production run of that figure?

I can answer that- There isn't. It was proven by the sales of Series 1 & 2 that put us in the spot we are in with the series 3 bundle in the first place. There weren't enough of us to support the line at retail with the costs being under $20 a figure, brand new characters, brand new parts, etc. Why in the world would NECA look at that and say "yeah, ya know what... let's take the gamble all on ourselves that there were hidden customers out there that would pay even more for a more inferior product and sell these ourselves!". The truth hurts... but that is the truth.

Without a large retailer stepping up and eating some of that production cost right out of the gate, this line is dead. Believe me... I wish it weren't so. NECA wishes it weren't so. But right now, that is all that can save it.

Sallah

Yeah, I'm looking at 'em... And I'm looking at a bunch of them not selling. Just because people have something listed for a crazy price on ebay doesn't mean it is actually selling for that. Of the completed auctions, I only see 6 that are the actual slipcased TRU/HAstings versions (the rest may use the pic, but the description shows they are the SDCC mailer box version currently available on NECA's site). I wouldn't call 6 completed auctions a scalper market.

And either way- NECA didn't create a scalper market (if you want to call it that). Folks paying those prices created it. NECA has gone out of their way every year to make Con exclusives as easy to get for everyone as they possibly could while still being able to call them "con exclusives" (and NECA didn't start that trend... it is a tactic used by EVERY major toy company). A lot of other companies don't make their exclusives available outside the con at all... And if they do, it is through a randomly timed flash sale, or with an altered version not as desirable as the con version (i.e. Mattel not including bonus characters like Gleek with the Wonder Twins). NECA tells you exactly when to go on, and they had an ample supply of Apes packs to go around.

Would we all like the slipcase? Sure. But that is one of the things that made it enticing enough for TRU/ Hastings to sign on for purchasing X amount of the figures to get the production cost justified. I can't blame NECA for taking that deal. Again- Work out the exclusive, or it doesn't happen at all. And it isn't like NECA is the only company doing a store exclusive... Every company does. But not every company gives you the option of buying it online (albeit with a different outer box).

As for your idea of "cutting out the distributors that request the bundle pack"... Well, that would mean the line is over. It is easy to armchair quarterback and say "well, if I ran the show figures would be available to everyone everywhere... just sell them direct and make it easy!". But for a business like NECA and a product like this, that model does NOT work. At least not right now. It works for Sideshow... but the usually cost of their figures are $200+, so the market doesn't need to be huge for that to work. It worked for Mattel (the largest toy company in the world)... but only just barely. The figures employ A LOT of parts re-use to keep costs down, they sell for around $30 each plus shipping, there are constant QC issues, and the customer service is the worst of all time.

And the only truly successful line at Mattycollector? He-Man... a toyline with a HUGE collector market that was ready to devour any product made when the line started. Everything else on the site has pretty much been a failure, even properties that would have seemingly been a success like Ghostbusters and Superman the Movie.

Now lets look at NECA's Apes to see if they would fit that model. Sure, there are some very passionate fans that would buy them- But how many would pay $30+ for them and be okay with more and more re-used parts and less and less accessories (like the He-Man fans do every month)? Look how many people have complained about paying $75 for the Series 3 Bundle. That was only $25 a figure, included tons of accessories, featured 3 new head sculpts, one entirely newly-tooled body, and had 3 long-requested characters in it. Now imagine them trying to sell a low-cost figure like a TV Gorilla Sgt on their site for $30 plus shipping... which is the equivalent of what Matty is doing with He-Man to make that line work with production costs. Do you honestly think there are enough of us out there that would pay $40 or more with shipping included to justify a production run of that figure?

I can answer that- There isn't. It was proven by the sales of Series 1 & 2 that put us in the spot we are in with the series 3 bundle in the first place. There weren't enough of us to support the line at retail with the costs being under $20 a figure, brand new characters, brand new parts, etc. Why in the world would NECA look at that and say "yeah, ya know what... let's take the gamble all on ourselves that there were hidden customers out there that would pay even more for a more inferior product and sell these ourselves!". The truth hurts... but that is the truth.

Without a large retailer stepping up and eating some of that production cost right out of the gate, this line is dead. Believe me... I wish it weren't so. NECA wishes it weren't so. But right now, that is all that can save it.

Sallah

Too true. I pitched the Sub idea to Randy on Twitter ( I'm Jared Colby on Twitter) and he said the market is way under for even thinking about doing that. Now, I would spend $35 on a figure if we got one every quarter. Hell, I'd spend $35 on each one of a set of three each month. But, most won't. I feel that this line is down to Gremlins treatment. 1-2 a year at best.

However, if Neca chose to stick these on their site and ebay, as well as TRU with exclusive stickers, I see the market picking up thanks to resellers/scalpers. The eveidence for that is there with the 3 pack. Their sales count too!

Sallah

Thank you Sallah, great points, but please don't take my criticism or ideas as personal attacks it's not my intention. The failure of this line however goes far beyond sales issues. The lack of the protagonist/s is the most glaring mistake this line has thus made. This Planet Of Only Apes has turned many fans away from the start. The TLC Neca gives these figures shows in the sculpts and detail, that's why i love them. I like Jayrod88's idea of forming a POTA Figure Club, that doesn't have to give us 8-10 figures a year, but maybe 2-4. The 2 Dr. Zauis releases so close together kinda dampened the excitement as well.
Another thing, Its difficult to compare all those companies success because over the past 30+ years it's amazing how little the figure sculpts have changed. Hasbro still makes their figures in wide stances, playmates, mattel, etc make their figures too cartoonish, or over Hulkled on muscles, lack of articulation, the lists goes on for why these companie's lines faulted. I love that Neca wants to offer us characters outside the ones that have been rehashed over and over. There are lines out there, i.e. Universal monsters that have large accessories with their figures and sell for cheaper. There are little things that Neca can include from the ape world that collectors would love, tables, chairs, nets, flags, a horse? There are many inexpensive ways to boost this line other than saying you're not buying enough so it's the collectors fault.

Side Question- What ever happened to the Ape Bugle that was shown with the early gorilla prototypes? Is it coming with the SGT/LT 2 pack?

Last edited:
Not offended in the least, but I appreciate you saying that. :)

I will agree with you there. I too think the lack of at least a Taylor was a mistake.

...But I don't think including him would have put the line in a healthy enough place to stay afloat as-is either.

I just hold out hope that the Bundle is a big enough of a success that Series 4 moves forward in the same way. If not, its over. :(

Sallah

Not offended in the least, but I appreciate you saying that. :)

Absolutely!

I would love to know how many figures Neca makes, needs to make, and their expected profit margin. Just to have an idea

What if Neca could offer a kickstarter program for select figures? Where fans like us know the costs and have a realistic $goal, we can put up costs as an investment. I believe FOUR HORSEMEN did this with their Gothitropolis line last year, and this year they are tangible and selling like hot cakes.

I can't wait to get this new series. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for series 4. Go Ape!

Just put out 5 sets at my local Toys'r'us. If you were thinking your local one didn't get these, keep checking!

Ended up about $10 cheaper due to cutting out the shipping charge.

Hey guys this past tues. I drove by a toysrus on my wayy home from work, went inside to find 6 bundle packs on the shelf. I managed to grab 3. I finally had time to open up a case and... WOW! Aldo which was the figure I was least looking forward to has become my fav. Out of this set. He is simply amazing. This is not to under estimate they other 2 figures which are absolutely amazing as well. Neca has really went above and beyond here. I hope everyone here gets a chance to pick this set up. At first i thought 75 bucks was a little steep, but these figures are worth it. The only bad thing is many of us wanted to army build with the gorilla which will now be hard to do. Anyways hopefully this bundle sells and long live the Apes!!!!

Hey Matt and PZ this photo is for both of you!. I won't open the boxed set PZ sent me, going to have to wait to get my sets from NEca to open, but I listend to you Matt and bought those pillar sets from Petco, can you believe each pillar was $5.99 Wow! So I got 4 tall and 2 short. This photo is for the both of you!

IMG_5735.jpg

Awesome photo sticks!!!! I love your back ground it goes great and the rocks you uaed for ruble!!!! Great job! Also i didny get a chance to let you know that I to was veey happy qoth that universal monster set! The figure on his stand next to my diorama for now. Anyways hope to see some more shots of tour figures!

Ok guys so i took a risk and popped my Caesers head off to do some head swapping. Sad to say. 1St off the heads pop on and off way easier then series 1&2 ,however Series 3 heads pop off leaving the ball joint connected to the body. Series 1&2 do the complete opposite. So the head swapping ceaser and cornelius isn't going as planned. Ill try and hopefully find a way. If anyone is gonna or have tried it and been successful please share your success.

Thanks guys. Right after setting up that scene I got called awayI was able to get only 8 pictures. When I get back next week I will take more.
Matt, first try using a pair of neddlenose pliers to remove the neck post from the head. You could also use a hairdryer to heat up the joint, which should help soften the plastic. I hope this helps.

If anyone is interested ToysRUs is having an Online ONLY sale of Neca's POTA. Buy 2 and get 1 free. The Gorilla 2 pack sold out, such a great deal, I wish was early enough for it. I did buy 2 of the 8" gorillas and got a free Taylor, with free shipping. For anyone that has yet to get any of these figures, now might be your best chance to get this great deal.

I stopped into a very large ToysRUs in Yonkers, NY today and searched for some POTA, they had none. When I asked a worker there, he said he's never seen Planet of the Apes figures there. being in the neighborhood I had to take a shot. It seems the set PZ got for me will be the only TRU bundle I will find and have. So far here is my collection:

7" Classic POTA Series 1:
4 Gorilla Soldier -Opened
27 Gorilla Soldier -MIB
2 Dr. Zaius series 1 - Opened
4 Dr. Zaius series 1 - MIB
1 Cornelius - Opened
3 Cornelius - MIB

7" Series 2
2 Dr. Zaius - Opened
1 Zira - Opened
4 Zira - MIB
1 General Ursus - Opened
1 General Ursus - MIB
2 TRU Gorilla 2 pk - Opened
8 TRU Gorilla 2 pk - MIB

7" Series 3
1 TRU Bundle - Thanks PZ! - MIB
7 Bundle Neca Flash Sale - MIB Plan to open possibly 5

8" POTA Neca
2 Taylor - MIB will open 1
5 Gorilla Soldier - MIB will open 3 (The Gorillas look a lot better in person.)

I still need to get the Lawgiver!

Last edited:
I ordered 2 Gorilla-2pks last week :gah: and then noticed they had the Neca sale, I was fortunate enough to place another order and get 3 more sets.

Still haven't checked my TRU yet. I get paid Friday and hopefully can snag a set. If it's true that this will be the last Series it will be sad.

Wow you guys have it so easy to get these apes. I finally caved in and bought the SDCC Apes online and it will be shipped to a forwarder and then over here to HK. It will be expensive, but its the only way to get them. It seems Neca always dont bother with International customers every single year. I see Randy always say, Its not my department, I'll get in touch with them.

Its the same thing every year, why dont they try and fix that problem at all.

Wow you guys have it so easy to get these apes. I finally caved in and bought the SDCC Apes online and it will be shipped to a a forwarder and then over here to HK. It will be expensive, but its the only way to get them. It seems Neca always dont bother with International customers every single year. I see Randy always say, Its not my department, I'll get in touch with them.

Its the same thing every year, why dont they try and fix that problem at all.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm in Guangzhou, and wave 3 are nowhere to be found. Got the first 2 waves from taobao, and saw them at retail here too. Luckily one of my American friends is grabbing wave 3 for me while she's home for summer, unfortunately she has no room for the Lawgiver too. I'm not paying the $120 they are asking for it on taobao. Really frustrating since they were all manufactured over here. It stings a bit paying paying $90 for wave 3 including delivery, when wave 1 and 2 cost me less than $100 combined.

Back